Cali Kid Corals

Arin's Reefer-S 850 Build

Time to clean the skimmers so I can get rid of one or both.

image.jpg

Today's game is called: "How would I mount my UV".

The ideal solution would be to mount it to the to the "ceiling" of the stand (I really dont want it outside the stand). Problem is that there's a bracing going down each 3rd of the tank that's about 4cm tall & I'll need it flush. The best solution I can come up with is to buy a bunch of PVC sheets from Tap Plastics, sandwich them to 4cm thickness and mount that to the ceiling so I can get a contiguous, flush surface to mount it.

1647899543918.png

Anyone else have any other ideas? I guess I could just let it dangle from basic, Home Depot straps but that feels a bit janky.

Are you trying to mount it horizontally above the sump? My understanding is that is not a good way to mount a uv because it can let air in/ or drain water out of it.

That aside, what material is the ceiling of the stand?

Instead of sheets, you could probably get a 1/2" PVC sheet for the "drop ceiling", and use 4cm lengths of PVC pipe as standoffs to support wherever you want to put screws.

Are you trying to mount it horizontally above the sump? My understanding is that is not a good way to mount a uv because it can let air in/ or drain water out of it.

That aside, what material is the ceiling of the stand?

Instead of sheets, you could probably get a 1/2" PVC sheet for the "drop ceiling", and use 4cm lengths of PVC pipe as standoffs to support wherever you want to put screws.
Ya I was going to go horizontal as there’s no room to mount it vertically at all. I did this on my old tank… I just use the apex to make sure the uv stays off for about 10 minutes after the return turns on. Might not be perfect but it’s good enough.

The drop ceiling is essentially what I wanna do but tap plastics only has 1/4” so I have to laminate a few. Do you know where I can get 2”

Today's game is called: "How would I mount my UV".

The ideal solution would be to mount it to the to the "ceiling" of the stand (I really dont want it outside the stand). Problem is that there's a bracing going down each 3rd of the tank that's about 4cm tall & I'll need it flush. The best solution I can come up with is to buy a bunch of PVC sheets from Tap Plastics, sandwich them to 4cm thickness and mount that to the ceiling so I can get a contiguous, flush surface to mount it.

View attachment 36536

Anyone else have any other ideas? I guess I could just let it dangle from basic, Home Depot straps but that feels a bit janky.
What uv do you have?

Ya I was going to go horizontal as there’s no room to mount it vertically at all. I did this on my old tank… I just use the apex to make sure the uv stays off for about 10 minutes after the return turns on. Might not be perfect but it’s good enough.

The drop ceiling is essentially what I wanna do but tap plastics only has 1/4” so I have to laminate a few. Do you know where I can get 2”
I might have missunderstood what the 4cm sandwich was for. I thought that was just as a spacer to get below the bracing which is why I suggested 4cm long PVC pipes.

I would have gone to tap plastics for the sheet, I assume you meant 1/2" not 2"? I'm surprised they don't have 1/2" but then again supply of everything is messed up.

Would you consider consider painted plywood?

I might have missunderstood what the 4cm sandwich was for. I thought that was just as a spacer to get below the bracing which is why I suggested 4cm long PVC pipes.

I would have gone to tap plastics for the sheet, I assume you meant 1/2" not 2"? I'm surprised they don't have 1/2" but then again supply of everything is messed up.

Would you consider consider painted plywood?
Plyood is definitely my #2 option if I can’t get the pvc to happen easily

Online, TAP lists white in 1/2" if that would work.
Ya I called them before posting. Seems like the most convenient, local source... plus its pretty cheap.
I assume since its just PVC I can laminate the pieces using PVC cement too. So it should be a reasonably simple process

Might just mean removing the removable plastic sliding trays that hold the socks, that’s what I think of as the sock holders.
Looks like there's finally some guidance on the Red Sea site on what mods are required to fit the ReefMat

No real progress in the DT but the temporary tank has been pretty solid. A bit of live rock from the old tank seemed to have completely avoided the uglies. Lights have been on “full” since the beginning and not a spec of algae anywhere. The sand could be whiter but overall I’m pretty impressed

483B2727-80B8-44E2-8BA6-813085D88A56.jpeg

Back