High Tide Aquatics

Arin's Reefer-S 850 Build

FYI, extension cords in the wall are not code compliant. Powerwall gets away with it with special fire rated cables or something (it's been a while since I looked at them).
Oh ya. I wouldn't run an extension in the wall - dad's an electrical contractor, I know better. The extension option was "run extension along the base board and cover it with one of those plastic wire management things so it doesn't look too terrible".

As far as what they use... from their FAQ:

PowerBridge kits purchased online from several authorized resellers including Amazon, which include a pre-stripped length of gauge 14/2 NM-type (ROMEX brand) in-wall rated power-wire...

The wording is terrible - but I think they're saying they actually use Romex brand in their kits.

So they basically just make a couple junction boxes to plug stuff into and supply their own NM cable with quick/easy connectors to plug into said junction boxes?

So they basically just make a couple junction boxes to plug stuff into and supply their own NM cable with quick/easy connectors to plug into said junction boxes?
Looks like it

1645722801776.png

I think the intention of these is to run vertically in the wall, for instance from an A/V console up to a wall mounted tv. Not sure running it through studs is the intent ( my assumption is that is what you would need to do?) Do you not have crawl space or attic access to those walls?

I think the intention of these is to run vertically in the wall, for instance from an A/V console up to a wall mounted tv. Not sure running it through studs is the intent ( my assumption is that is what you would need to do?) Do you not have crawl space or attic access to those walls?
There's no stud - it's strictly cosmetic. This is a room/office/whatever in the garage. The garage has this diagonal chunk of cement along the outside walls:

IMG_5017.jpg

So this is essentially just a sheetrock box covering that. If you check out the pre-remodel pics of the room you'll see this shelf thing was actually about 3.5 ft tall.

1645735932071.png

So, during the remodel I had them shrink the height considerably. TLDR - its empty space covering up some angled concrete.

There's no stud - it's strictly cosmetic. This is a room/office/whatever in the garage. The garage has this diagonal chunk of cement along the outside walls:

View attachment 35843

So this is essentially just a sheetrock box covering that. If you check out the pre-remodel pics of the room you'll see this shelf thing was actually about 3.5 ft tall.

View attachment 35844

So, during the remodel I had them shrink the height considerably. TLDR - its empty space covering up some angled concrete.
That angled concrete looks cosmetic some builders put them in so if there is a risk of garage or room being flooded or when you hose out the garage it keeps the cill plate dry preventing mold or wood rotting inside the wall. Or a stem wall elevation transition if there's a difference in height from room to room. Usually people just jack hammer them out if cosmetic to eliminate that step up.

View attachment 35843

View attachment 35844

Ok that makes a lot more sense :D

Wife & kids are out at the Disney on Ice event so I’ve begun the wiring. So far so good.

A457945B-3CA3-4FD9-BAA9-07DEC02FAD09.jpeg

I’ve got a hole for the box closest to the tank cut out & my wire fisher is already extended through the length of the wall. Once the extension gets here (out for delivery) I’ll be able to pull that thru, cut out the other box and call this done.

Stand and the sump and complete! Woot!!!

82BD08A4-C2B3-4945-B4B2-44BEA32CB868.jpeg

22D72418-42CE-4ED1-9346-135B1B5240BF.jpeg

The pics aren’t a great resource but I’ll do a sump walkthrough soon when everything’s a bit further along.

One problem I had was that I broke one of the unions for the return. It’s the twist part… I think it’s still gonna be water tight but I’m gonna order another one just to be safe.

Bought some Carib Sea life rock from aquatic collection yesterday. I purchased one big cave thing, one of their tree products and a box of shapes.

Wife’s putting some pressure on me to declutter the garage (understandably) so these pieces are merely being stored in the tank & the box of “shapes” is hanging out in my trunk.

I’ll have to look at a bunch of tank pics to get some inspiration.
image.jpg

Tank looks good! Been on the fence for the S850. What lighting are you planning to use?
My old tank was running 3 XR15’s pros. So my initial plan is to start with those.

I’ll clearly need more (or different) lighting in the future but that’s where I’ll start.

I also have 2 XR15 blues on my frag tank which I plan to take down. Hopefully I can sell or trade those and end up at 5 XR15 pros.

That’s my first guess at least but things can change as time goes on

No update on the actual tank itself but today should yield some progress towards the "master plan". My ultimate goal is to go down from 3 tanks to 1:
  • frag tank - gonna take it down & refuse some gear for the new DT (sell the extra gear, the tank & sump, UV etc)
  • nano tank - take it down & keep it just in case I need/want a QT tank later
  • new DT - bring stuff from above 2 tanks over - probably gonna give away the starry blenny. HMU if you want it
Step 1 is to move most of the livestock from the frag tank & nano to a temporary tank - a 40 breeder I borrowed from @Coral reefer. The nano is too small to comfortably house all the livestock so the 40 breeder is the key here (thanks buddy).

My plan is to fill the 40 with 50% new water and make up the different with water from the frag tank & nano (don't wanna start off with zero nutrients). For bio-filtration I'll bring over all the media & rubble that's stashed in the frag tank's sump... should be plenty.

Once that's all setup I'll chuck some bleach in the frag tank and get the sterilization & cleaning started.

Can I get this all done today? I hope so... we'll see

40 Breeder is up. still cloudy from the new sand but the 3 fish are swimming around & doing fine. I just have to hook up the ATO, plop on a light & dust off my old mp10... but first I wanna sit and chill b/c im tired.

IMG_5104.jpeg

I'll get the coral from the frag tank in there in a day or 2 once the cloudiness has settled.

Back