Reef nutrition

Arin's Reefer-S 850 Build

Just started moving things into place for my AWC and ATO.

CAB3AAD7-B2B2-4C7E-A050-C00548D85AD0.jpeg

Things should fit nicely. The ATO will sit between the big container and the desk with about an inch to spare.

I’ll move the ATO into place after the Trident is done doing its 6pm thing. Don’t wanna accidentally nudge a 1Link and have it turn off mid-test.

wife and kids are out for a couple days so I’m taking the opportunity to get the RODI system and AWC setup.

Step 1 was mounting the RODI unit.

FA758FDD-5222-4D1A-80C7-C03B42C7BA0D.jpeg

For now it’s 6 stages but I have an extra canister if I want to go to 7.

I haven’t run any of the source, product and waste lines yet. Mostly posting this to motivate myself to just wrap this up but odds are I’ll hit Netflix instead lol

IMG_6320.jpeg

Progress has been made:
  • RODI Stuff:
    • Source line hooked up to the RODI unit with a Neptune solenoid valve
    • Waste line sent outside & dumping into the same drain the rain gutter goes to (eventually to lawn by garage)
    • Product water goes through another Neptune solenoid valve then to a tee so I can swap between filling the big reservoir or the ATO (ATO will be default, once a month I'll fill the AWC reservoir when making NSW)
    • High & low sensors in the ATO
    • Leak detector on the floor (i'll probably add one more)
  • The Adaptive Reef Cabinet
    • Neptune DOS faceplates on the Adaptive reef cabinet (one for 2 part, other for AWC)
    • EB832 inside hooked up the the Apex head unit
    • FMM module w/ the opticals, leak detector hooked up
  • random
    • all tubing goes thru the wire management thing on the left wall (beneath the pink skateboard) so its nice & tidy
What's next:
  • RODI
    • I'll give the ATO reservoir refill automation a try later today after I run some errands.
      • I did the Apex programming but set everything to off for now
  • AWC setup:
    • get old salt water drain line ran outside (not near grass)
      • I have some old tubing that's already going outside - just not sure its long enough so I may have to redo it
    • put high & low sensors & a heater in the reservoir
    • install an RODI float valve on reservoir & hook it up to the RO unit
    • toss in a Neptune WAV (or two) for mixing (I have them lying around & the cords are super long)
    • hook up a DOS & setup the AWC
  • 2 part dosing
    • install a DOS and set it up
    • not in a hurry. I only need about 10ml a day and that's easy enough to do by hand
      • luckily for a 0.1 drop in dkh I need 10ml - so figure out how much to dos based on my noon trident reading is pretty damn easy
  • Etc
    • get the single fish & coral out of the 40 breeder, clean the tank and give it back to Mike

Last edited:
I was going to come advocate for one more di stage...

But how do you have 22 coming from the street......
No idea. I’ve never put a tds meter on the input before so I have no basis of comparison (previous one was just 2 way , pre & post DI). What do folks normally get coming in?

The 3 way tds meter is new & I installed it properly so I don’t think it’s a bad reading.

No idea. I’ve never put a tds meter on the input before so I have no basis of comparison (previous one was just 2 way , pre & post DI). What do folks normally get coming in?

The 3 way tds meter is new & I installed it properly so I don’t think it’s a bad reading.
It varies based on location... I'm at 295 right now in San Jose.... :mad:

I was going to come advocate for one more di stage...

But how do you have 22 coming from the street......

That’s typical for San Mateo. This winter it was higher. I think I remember it in the 80s. But yeah 25 or lower is the norm around here.

With TDS that low you could get away with fewer stages. Just carbon (for the chloramine) and 1 DI mixed resin bed if you wanted. Add RO membrane between if you want to be fancy.

Minor updates:
  • Installed an Ecotech battery backup a few days ago
  • Today I modded another ecotech battery with a couple LiFePO4 batteries. Set that one up too
I’ll test them out tomorrow some time to make sure they actually work.

Still waiting for a package from BRS with the supplies I need for to get my AWC setup. Hopefully I’ll get the water change and dosing setup this weekend.

Minor updates:
  • Installed an Ecotech battery backup a few days ago
  • Today I modded another ecotech battery with a couple LiFePO4 batteries. Set that one up too
I’ll test them out tomorrow some time to make sure they actually work.

Still waiting for a package from BRS with the supplies I need for to get my AWC setup. Hopefully I’ll get the water change and dosing setup this weekend.
Following for updates on the modded Ecotech battery. Mine died and I plan on swapping it out and turning it into a project myself.

Back