Jestersix

BAR Bio-Transplants?

Biggest concern right now for me is the ICP test results. The system, otherwise, is looking pretty good on the algae front.

For the UV, from what I understand, bacteria colonize on surface areas and should be ok. Yeah, if in flowing water, ok, zap! And the flow rate through the sterilizer being high enough (per the manual) should affect algae and not desirable phytoplankton. I’m angling towards give UV a shot while addressing silica, tin, and low trace elements.

Thanks for the ICP tip. The results provide a lot of clarity.
am talking about the zeobak, when you are dosing zeobak
The bacteria will be in the water for a whole before it settle amd colonize on substrate. I believe if you dose zeobak and you have UV running, the bacteria of the zeobak will not make it.
As a matter of fact zeobak without zeostart will not be sustained and these bacteria strains will not make it.

In any event, I agree the heavy metals and the silica in the system worth the focuse.
Good luck

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I continue to see improvement. Stopped into the office for a bit today... i was shocked how much better my system looked.

20200126_182413.jpg
20200126_182404.jpg

This is awesome.
The picture look like lights were ramping down. Wad that the case?
Remember dino dissapear when there is no or low light..

Nope same light schedule... the only thing is changed was add sand. I stopped everything else to only adjust one variable at a time (spent many years of research slavery to know better not to). Other than having a control as reference point, my approach is as scientific as we're gonna get. Hah.

Nope same light schedule... the only thing is changed was add sand. I stopped everything else to only adjust one variable at a time (spent many years of research slavery to know better not to). Other than having a control as reference point, my approach is as scientific as we're gonna get. Hah.
Lol what I meant was. What time did you took the pictures. Just keep in mind dino start to disappear every day as lights wramo down. So when you fight dino amd want to check progress make sure you judge based on the same time of the day every day, preferably at peak light period...

per the label for bacteria supplement. A drop per 20 gal; 3 drops 2x a week

Must have been someone else.

Right. That and Detox. Haven’t touched them.
Btw, I highly advice you start using rowaphos so you start removing the silica. Rowaphos very good with removing silica and al.
Just be careful and follow the instructions exactly do not use more than the recomended and test po4 every day to avoid bringing down your po4 to zero.
I recommend you start with media I'm reactor then when you becoming too low on po4 move to passive media in bag inside the sump

Lol what I meant was. What time did you took the pictures. Just keep in mind dino start to disappear every day as lights wramo down. So when you fight dino amd want to check progress make sure you judge based on the same time of the day every day, preferably at peak light period...

I took the pic about the same time . Just took one from the front as well today as i was super surprised as to how light my sand was compared to when I started dosing the sand

I took the pic about the same time . Just took one from the front as well today as i was super surprised as to how light my sand was compared to when I started dosing the sand
That rowaphos post was for @Squist btw. Sorry I used this thread since he posted his icp in here.

Btw, I highly advice you start using rowaphos so you start removing the silica. Rowaphos very good with removing silica and al.
Just be careful and follow the instructions exactly do not use more than the recomended and test po4 every day to avoid bringing down your po4 to zero.
I recommend you start with media I'm reactor then when you becoming too low on po4 move to passive media in bag inside the sump

Great stuff!

@ofzakaria hah.. i meant that rowaphos is great stuff... as are you're advice here. Picked some up from Neptune awhile back
I love this media. By far the best media in the market. Only issue, according to the maker, is that ppl tend to mess with their system by over dosing than what the instructions say. This media is no joke, very strong and effective. Just follow the insteuction exactly and you be pleased.
It also remove silica, al and another element I forgot which one.
Tou can run it in reactor(you need to flush it on this setup) tumble ot lightly and increase its po4 removing speed by controlling the reactor speed. Media is very small so careful do not tumble too luch and end up dropping media in the water. The rowaphos have special reactors that have fine mesh inside cause regular. But I use it in a brs media I just cut a piece of the bag that come with it and place it on top of the reactor canister to block media from making it's way to the outlet...

Or if you want slower action:
you can run it passive in sump(do not flush just dip the bag in rodi then drain). In this setup it will add a brown color water for s min or 2, do not worry about it it will go away. Ppl freak out when they see this so they rinse the media in the bag and according to DD this decrease its effectiveness..

Last edited:
@Squist finally licked my dino problem... The sand transplant helped but not fast enough for my taste...

So I did lights out (but not blacked out) for 5 days with dosing of hydrogen peroxide. completely clean tank.

After 2 weeks with lights back on (smudges on right side is algae on glass):

1585088990571.png

@Squist finally licked my dino problem... The sand transplant helped but not fast enough for my taste...

So I did lights out (but not blacked out) for 5 days with dosing of hydrogen peroxide. completely clean tank.

After 2 weeks with lights back on (smudges on right side is algae on glass):

View attachment 14619
5 days light out is insane.. if your system can survive a 5 days blackout, I would restart the whole thing.
I do full bacterial based cycle in 14 days. I can add all type of coral at day 12...lol..
Taging along to see the progress..

It wasn't a true black out ... I have overhead natural lights from the ceiling and usual office CFLs above that are on 24x7 where the tank is located. Just didn't add more fuel to the fire with my reef lights...

Rofl. I dose hydrogen peroxide like i dose my alk and Ca+. I throw in random fistfuls and call it done. :)

The recommended dose is 1ml/10G. But i found I can get away with 2-3 ml/10G with no ill effect.

When I dose, i turn off the return and dose the dt area with just the circ running. And then throw a few extra ml in the sump area. Pretty haphazard admittedly but my tank didn't seem to mind. I did it twice a day... not necessarily evenly spaced apart either. I would throw a dose in when i get to work, and then again when I leave.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Back