Our mission

BAR Regional Frag Swap - February 10, 2007

Mr. Ugly

Past President
It's Baaack!!!! :D

February 10, 2007 - Bay Area Reefers Northern California Regional Frag Swap

The BAR regional frag swap is intended to promote the propagation and sharing of corals within the reefing community. In this event, BAR values a spirit of generosity in support of the hobby and all its participants.

This swap is open to all reef club members, and any member of any non profit marine aquarium hobbyist organization is welcome to attend. Meet and hang out with your fellow hobbyists. Share and enjoy the diversity of corals grown by your fellow reefers.

If you would like to participate in making this swap a success, we ask that you - bring 3 or more strains - of coral or marine invertebrate to contribute to the selection pool.

If you do not have corals to bring, there will be a $30 buy-in (send to paypal@bareefers.org no later than 1/26/07) for participation.

Please note, in the keeping with the ideals of husbandry and propagation, corals are much much preferred to cash!

The swap will be held in Hayward at Aquatic Specialties and Pets, a state of the art, ethical, aquatic wholesaler.

Map and directions

Registration and frag check-in is from 11:00 am to 12:30 pm, with the swap proper beginning at 1:00 pm

If you are joining BAR for the first time, or need to make your membership current, we encourage you to sign up for BAR membership online before the swap using Paypal. You may contact Dswong01 here or on RC for assistance. There will be no membership sign-ups on the day of the swap!

Please bring your corals:

1) Pre-fragged
Preferably pre-fragged with enough time to encrust/attach onto something. If the frags you are bringing are fresh cut, please frag the coral the night before to give the frag time to stop sliming and sloughing, and to improve survivability before packing it to bring to the swap

2) In a plastic container or double bagged
We suggest deli containers, Glad MiniRounds (or larger size if needed), Rubbermaid Take Alongs, or any other appropriatedly sized resuable container. If you put a bit of plastic bag in the bottom of such container, the frags seem to do less rolling around than in plastic bags. Double bagged LFS bags are fine as well, but please NO ZIPLOC BAGS!

3) Labeled
Several labels are available for download. Fill in the blanks using Word, print, and waterproof by covering the label with packaging tape, and attach to your frag containers.

Also - we suggest you bring an insulated container for the corals that you pick during the swap.

Rare Category

Once again, we will have a Rare category for the swap! To participate as part of the Rare group, please bring 2 or more suitable frags for the picking rounds. To keep the swap on schedule, Rare frags will be pre-qualified for entry into the category. Thank you's to Karl, Gresham, Rich, and Jim for consenting to serve as the Arbiters of Rare this year :D

Please check back for more info on pre-qualifications.

Picking Rounds

Each participant will be given a letter/number and that is the group with whom they pick frags.

Corals will be grouped according to type.

Groups will rotate through the picking area with each person picking 1 coral.

The order of groups picking will go up then back down. For example:

Rare, A, B, C, [...]
Rare, C, B, A
Rare, A, B, C

Family Memberships

If you have a BAR family membership, each of 2 family members bringing frags may participate in the picking rounds.

Swap Transmitted Diseases

A few useful links:

- http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=451.0

Sponsors and Raffle details to be announced.

BBQ lunch and drinks will be available - please bring cash.

Thanks to Bob and Robert of ASAP for their continued support of our club and of the reefing community!

Remember the spirit of the swap - Propagate, share, diversify! :D

Just a heads up for now.

The next BAR Regional Frag Swap will be held on February 10, 2007 at Aquatic Specialties and Pets:
http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&gid1=21430314&q1=31640%20Hayman%20Street,%20Hayward%20CA&trf=0&lon=-122.045467&lat=37.613365&mag=3

This event is open to all reef club members, and any member of any non profit marine aquarium hobbyist organization is welcome to attend.

More details to follow!
:D

Barring my son being born on or before that day I'll be there. Sorry to everyone for flaking on the December meeting. I was looking forward to meeting everyone, but I double booked with a doctors visit for my impending son.
I'm hoping to bring some green slimer acro, another acro (unknown species), a few unique zoos and of course the ever favorite xenia. I may also have a few baby heads of frogspawn and hammer corals.

I missed the last one. I will try to make it to this one.
But I don't have super nice stuff to bring. Hopefully some of my nice zoa frags will be ready to frag at that time.

I have never been to a frag swap before. If an individual has no frags that are uncommon can a member buy frags from anyone ??? Just wondering if there are setups too for frags that are for sale? Thanks

Darcy,
We are still hammering out the details but last year swap started at 1pm with registration starting at 11 am. But time wise the swap should should start about the same time.

With family membership, how many people are allow to pick? I notice that some people have family membership and when they bring their wife/kids, everyone gets to pick :eek: ..

[quote author=Elite link=topic=1555.msg14368#msg14368 date=1168289626]
With family membership, how many people are allow to pick? I notice that some people have family membership and when they bring their wife/kids, everyone gets to pick :eek: ..
[/quote]

From the posting at the top ...

Family Memberships

If you have a BAR family membership, each of 2 family members bringing frags may participate in the picking rounds.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=1555.msg14368#msg14368 date=1168289626]
[/quote]

This was an "oversight" (ie loophole some exploited for greed) in that some families had picks from multiple club memberships, so as a result all of a sudden the 10 year old son has a "membership". I've addressed this and hope the loophole will be fixed/closed even if it doesn't say so in the official announcement.

Mike, it was pretty clearly spelled out in the announcement for the last swap:

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=706.0
Family Memberhsips
If you have a BAR family membership, each member of the family that brings frags or pays the No Frag Fee can participate in the Picking Rounds.

It is possible some people, but attending and working the swap, were unclear and thats why its helpful if many club members are in the know at these large events. ;D

From the announcement:

If you would like to participate [...] bring 3 or more strains [...]

If you have a BAR family membership [...] each of 2 family members bringing frags may participate

Groups will rotate through the picking area with each person picking 1 coral.

But most especially from the announcement:

>> [size=12pt]Remember the spirit of the swap - Propagate, share, diversify![/size] <<

:D

That last line?

That's new for this year :D

I'm the icky one this time, haha!

Last year was "give more than you receive", which means that we actually do need greedy people to help take stuff, if you read that literally :D

Next year's theme can be, "Give Mike stuff!"

How's that? :D

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=1555.msg14387#msg14387 date=1168303565]

Last year was "give more than you receive", which means that we actually do need greedy people to help take stuff, if you read that literally :D

[/quote]

? We had a theme last year? Wasn't I VP at the time? Geesh, I don't recall the theme. Am I approaching the "Reagen years" now? :(

Back