Jestersix

Co2 scrubber folks

When I got my BRS scrubber they said to put a little water in the bottom of the reactor, either in a BRS video or in the included instructions.

That’s why I tried to use separate water container to bring humid air into the reactor instead of the skimmer. But that project failed.

The neutralization of CO2 involves a number of chemical reactions:

1. CO2 + H2O ⇌ H2CO3
2. H2CO3 + 2NaOH ⇌ Na2CO3 + 2H2O + Heat
3. Na2CO3 + Ca(OH)2 ⇌ CaCO3 + 2NaOH

Having a more humid environment provides availability of water to convert CO2 to carbonic acid to start the soda lime reaction to bind up CO2. Without freely available water, CO2 will not form carbonic acid and thus will not form the insoluble calcium carbonate salt in step 3 to lock up the CO2 for good.
Randy, am I to understand from the reaction formula, that it is possible to regenrate the media, where co2 is no longer locked hence media can trap more co2?
Am seeing with proper mantained humity environment, the media turn back to purple after some time of it being in the humidity controller reactor...
Is that why?

Randy, am I to understand from the reaction formula, that it is possible to regenrate the media, where co2 is no longer locked hence media can trap more co2?
Am seeing with proper mantained humity environment, the media turn back to purple after some time of it being in the humidity controller reactor...
Is that why?

Shouldn’t be possible to reuse.

Actually, I just looked it up. It’s just the dye changing color back. So, no it definitely can’t be reused.

For example my ph is 7.8.
Will the reactor and new media help bring the pH up 0.5 so my tank can be 8.3?
how much media and what size of the reactor need to a 150gal tank?

here's my set up after a day. I was at 7.9 to 8.1 only drawing outside air. but now, currently I hit 8.38 at my highest. I didnt wanna drill a hole in the collection cup so I found a cheap plastic dinner plate at daiso for $1.50. ran it in a first container for any condensation, might add more media if need, before it goes into the brs co2 reactor. numbers looks good so far.
10ae993d87d4e129d20200b33d9d16a8.jpg
ab7077bb8cb193cd9d99462f9651e7d0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

here's my set up after a day. I was at 7.9 to 8.1 only drawing outside air. but now, currently I hit 8.38 at my highest. I didnt wanna drill a hole in the collection cup so I found a cheap plastic dinner plate at daiso for $1.50. ran it in a first container for any condensation, might add more media if need, before it goes into the brs co2 reactor. numbers looks good so far.

Are you doing this to expel used skimmer air outside?
I think I see your CO2 scrubber in the back feeding into that John Guest Y connector ??

V

How's the pH after a few days? This is very clever and I want to do the same thing.

Are you doing this to expel used skimmer air outside?
I think I see your CO2 scrubber in the back feeding into that John Guest Y connector ??

V
I stopped using outside air and doing the recirculation method (air from skimmer cup to collection cup for condensation/skimmer overflow to brs reactor then back into skimmer intake). yes it is a john guest y fitting on the skimmer intake. currently after a 2 days. pH has been 8.2 to 8.46 as highest. unsure how long the media will last, but I'll let you know. I ran this same style on a bm curve 5 skimmer, media lasted about 6 weeks.
a42d9b8b8a8f4063cf8c1777cb416e02.jpg

7ec3c0fa001adcd09bf4d14a5cdd4960.jpg

Last edited:
How's the pH after a few days? This is very clever and I want to do the same thing.
so far, looks very promising. maybe too good. 8.2s to 8.4s on the rsk600. look at my previous post. my previous skimmer was a bm curve 5 and it only gave me 8.0 to 8.2s using same technique (air flow differences in skimmer).

Last edited:
I’ll have to join the ranks of ph monitoring automatons in order to “see” a benefit from a scrubber. But I’ve already made up my mind to try one.

Back