Jestersix

Copper and Tang in QT. Need advise

newfly

Supporting Member
I have a 2" purple tang in QT since yesterday. Started with 0.8ppm copper power and API General Cure. Tang is stressed from shipping (overnight becomes 2 day) , but otherwise looks OK. Started eating pellets and mysis soaked in selcon today. WIll add Nori tomorrow.

I increase the copper to 1.2ppm today and the tang is not happy. Hanging out at the top of the tank, sideways. Quickly do a 50% water change and he is back to normal. I am mixing another batch of water, and can do another 50% tomorrow if needed.

Some sign of white discoloration (see picture). Not sure its from stress, or HLLE or ??

I'm very afraid to add copper now. Any suggestions?

QT is a 13g bare bottom with PVC . The tang is alone in QT.

Attachments

• IMG_1417.jpg
    IMG_1417.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 160
What QT method are you following - how are you reducing ammonia? Did you add anything besides copper that could have made the copper more toxic? Something like described here?:

QT is cycled, with matrix and sponge as biological filtration. The fish just got introduce yesterday. Ammonia is 0.

I added General Cure + Copper Power. Have been doing this for the last 3 batch of fish.

Maybe tang is a lot more sensitive.

If you lowered the copper and he eats then maybe he's sensitive to copper. Humble fish mentions it here (at the very bottom): https://humble.fish/copper/

I normally match the copper coming out of the bag and then I would increase it slowly. Especially after a long transport!

I don't know what HLLE. I am a noob too.

If you lowered the copper and he eats then maybe he's sensitive to copper. Humble fish mentions it here (at the very bottom): https://humble.fish/copper/

I normally match the copper coming out of the bag and then I would increase it slowly. Especially after a long transport!

I don't know what HLLE. I am a noob too.
Thanks. I didn’t check the copper level in the bag. I started with 0.8 and went to 1.2 in 24 hours. Is that fast?

I’m very afraid to increase copper again. Might just observe the fish for a week without meds and see how it goes.

Does anyone here have spare copper solution. I have 3 fish with black ich that i wanna cure. Just wanted to ask before i ask the main group.

Take your time.
Let the fish get over the stress of shipping and so on for a week or so.
Then treat when they are eating well.

I have heard a few anectodal complaints about copper and tangs, but I have never heard solidly that it is a problem.

You could try ionic copper (cupramine) instead.

Or use tank transfer method, or hyposalinity, that do not use poisons at all. But those only work on ich.

Does anyone here have spare copper solution. I have 3 fish with black ich that i wanna cure. Just wanted to ask before i ask the main group.
For black ich you want to use Praziquantel since they are actually a worm parasite.

I might just try some fresh water dips see if that helps. But maybe I will try Praziquantel. It’s only my clown fish that have signs of black ich.

Back