Welcome to BAR - the Bay Area's premier saltwater hobbyists hub!

Coral reefer’s 360 gal system. 225 display and frag tanks

Past President
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
19,014
Yep, I woulda prefered a 24 wide and 30 or even 36 high, but when you find a sweet deal on a used starphire tank you can't be too picky.
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2009
Messages
235
Pics?
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2009
Messages
235
An opportunity! :oops:
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
7,169
I was hoping someone would tell me not to call them Shirley!
When spelled out in text ... you know ... like in a forum, Surely is closer to "Surly" than "Shirley." GRRRR.
So don't call me Surly.
Oh wait ... I just was.
:-)
 
Past President
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
19,014
So it looks like I have room for a sump w dimensions of 18" x 27". Height of anywhere from 12" -18". I know its a weird size, just figured if post in case anyone had anything close but not bigger than those dimensions. Or an idea where to find a tank this size? Hoping not to have to build it myself or pay for a custom job...
 
Past President
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
19,014
New Tank is running with a quiet one 6000 currently, that's right, ITS RUNNING!!!!
Anyways. Pump is pretty loud. Any suggestions for quietness? Will need to run the 200 gal tank with enough flow to spare that I can power a phosphate reactor and the frag tank. Total flow need to be 1200gal per hour after head loss minimum. I've heard sicce is quiet? Low power would be cool too. My speed wave dc just stops running sometimes for no apparent reason, so I can't use it like I was planning on...
 
Webmaster
Joined
Jan 16, 2013
Messages
1,335
at what gph/ft are you hoping to get? I think, at pump output, you may need more than 1200 gph if you want to run the frag tank and reactors.. never too much flow if you can put a valve on it.

I'm a big fan of Laguna pumps, or any of the similar pumps. I also don't think the power difference for DC pumps is going to be enough to make a difference in your wallet...
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
7,169
I have not had good experiences with Quiet-One pumps.
Loud, and very poor head pressure. Flow dropped way off with a bit of back pressure.

External or Internal pumps?

External would be Pan-World. Quiet and efficient, IMO quality up there with or even better than Iwaki.
I personally use dual 50PX-X right now.

Internal suggestion would be *DUAL* Jaebo DC6000 pumps.
I have been running one on a scrubber for a year now.
And with two, if one fails, it is not catastrophic.

Note that the DC-5000 are pretty different from DC-6000.
The former reporting various issues.
Brand does not seem to matter much.
Not sure which you have for Speedwave.
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
7,169
...I also don't think the power difference for DC pumps is going to be enough to make a difference in your wallet...
Depends.
I did the math with mine. I could save 80 watts, which at my power tier is $200 per year.
Not huge, but noticeable, and pays for the pumps in one year.
The reason I have not switched is reliability concerns.
 
Webmaster
Joined
Jan 16, 2013
Messages
1,335
Depends.
I did the math with mine. I could save 80 watts, which at my power tier is $200 per year.
Not huge, but noticeable, and pays for the pumps in one year.
The reason I have not switched is reliability concerns.

Holy crap $200? Maybe I should double check what power I'm eating!!
 
Past President
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
19,014
It adds up for sure. I am looking for a submersible pump. Actual flow through tank was what I was talking about before. Plus some for frag tank and reactor. Close to 6 ft up to tank w a couple bends, but its 1" pipe so I it that going or me.
I used to use the speedwave 10,000, liked it pretty well, just had problems. Going to take apart and try it again.
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
7,169
The DC-10000 is the old model. The DC-12000 is the new one.
Supposedly quite a few improvements.
But one key one : 1.5 inch inputs and outputs.
Honestly, for $135, I would get a new one.
I consider these pumps "disposable" anyway.

My returns go a bit further, about 10 feet. I did the math and decided to bump up to 1.25".
Overkill, but 1" seemed too small.
That was for each DC-6000.
With your pump, I would really suggest a 1.5" return, not 1"

Remember:
Velocity in pipe is a function of the square of the radius.
Surface friction is a function of the square of the velocity.
So drag is a function of r^4!!
And PVC pipe is really cheap.
 
Top