Welcome to BAR - the Bay Area's premier saltwater hobbyists hub!

Coral reefer’s 360 gal system. 225 display and frag tanks

Past President
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
19,014
Well, did another round of treatment, and another 50 gal change. Everything looks good. PE on all the acros again...hopefully those bastards are gone.
 
Past President
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
19,014
Seems like there are no redbugs (fingers crossed) pe on everything is good still. Lost my ORA red tabling acro DBTC, hopefully somebody has a piece and I can add it back eventually? Tank has settled in nicely after the long move across the room. Next step is fix up the stand for the 225 and get it upstairs.
On another note...BRS is selling the skimmer I wanted for 10%off. Never really thought I'd spend $600-700 on a skimmer, but I've been eyeing it awhile. Probably gonna order the I topus super reef 3000l or 5000l tomorrow. Probay just go all in and get the big one. Why not?
Oh yeah, and a second mp60 while I'm at it from aquatic collection to mat h the one I already have.
 
Joined
Jul 13, 2013
Messages
92
red bugs are the bane of existence

good luck with your ongoing battle
 
Past President
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
19,014
They aren't that bad, aefw are much tougher to deal with...and it seems they are gone. That frag of ORA red tabling acro still doing well for you?
 
Past President
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
19,014
I finally did it! Ordered my big ticket items for the upgrade. Had a moment of panic when aquatic collection and BRS were both sold out of mp60's, but I found one elsewhere online! Octopus super reef xp5000l skimmer em route as well!
Only other large expense I can forsee is adding a third AI sol blue, or maybe doing a total DIY build... Will cross that bridge when the time comes. Hopefully I'll find a used one or maybe the price will drop. Doesn't seem right paying $400 for a light tht isn't exactly "cutting edge" anymore. I am totally happy with the pair I have, but I do want to add in a strip w a few uv/near uv and some warm or neural whites to round out the spectrum a bit, so i might as well throw some wxtra royal blues in too and help cover the 30" front to back I'll have in the new tank at the same time.
Anyone getting rid of a sol blue? Lol
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
17,384
I know ledgroupbuy.com sells a triple puck that's 2 royal blue XTE and 1 neutral white, both solder and solderless features. Was contemplating going that route, but I went the same way I did with my last build. $12.50 per triple puck (slightly cheaper for ones you need to solder), plus $2 for the lens, and you got $14.50 x 8 = $112 just for the LEDs and lenses. Toss in a RapidLED heatsink for $30, use 3 meanwell LDD drivers $7 each, $50 for power, and you're set for about $200 for a DIY fixture that's similar.. a few more bucks to make it prettier though, with wires that don't look like spaghetti monster :D

I can't believe I spent nearly $600 on LEDs & accessories over the weekend... the upside is I saved myself over $200 doing it :D
 
Past President
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
19,014
Yeah, I may do a ripoff for the extra light, or maybe just make a DIY to replace the whole setup. Shoulda thought to buy tht stuff during the sale time too. DOH!
 
Past President
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
19,014
Anybody got any cabinetry skills? Gotta make the stand look pretty can then move it upstairs.
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
7,169
Anybody got any cabinetry skills? Gotta make the stand look pretty can then move it upstairs.
If you find yourself near Union City, be happy to help. That is one of my other hobbies.
 
Past President
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
19,014
Ordered the automatic neck cleaner for the xp5000I skimmer. Tank is finally settling in nicely after the move and some bumps in the road. Had an issue with my cheap dj strip where a switch broke and my heater didn't turn back on after maintenance without me noticing...temp was low 60s for 2-3 weeks. On too if this, I must've pulled on the tubes from my dosing pump and the alk tube broke, so it pumped into my stand instead of the sump for maybe 3 days and I had a large alk drop. Never even tested. What I noticed first was montis dying back, and a couple acros struggling. That made me check in the sump. I saw the large amount of soda ash all over the stand and dosing jug and just went about water change and replacing the head of that dosing pump. And dumping in some extra soda ash over the next few days. Things took awhile to stabilize, but I'm back to where I was.
Just in time for progress on the upgrade! Hopefully moving the new tank off the stand so I can work on making the stand look nice.
Anyone near me around tomorrow late morning/early afternoon? Could use 1-2 people to help for all of one lift and set it down two feet away...?
 
Past President
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
19,014
If you find yourself near Union City, be happy to help. That is one of my other hobbies.
You once suggested getting pre made cabinet doors for the stand, I like the idea, any idea where to find them?
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
7,169
You once suggested getting pre made cabinet doors for the stand, I like the idea, any idea where to find them?
Online. Don't remember where though.
You might be able to custom order some through Lowes and Home Depot as well.
 

JAR

Guest
Joined
Jan 17, 2009
Messages
3,965
Ordered the automatic neck cleaner for the xp5000I skimmer. Tank is finally settling in nicely after the move and some bumps in the road. Had an issue with my cheap dj strip where a switch broke and my heater didn't turn back on after maintenance without me noticing...temp was low 60s for 2-3 weeks. On too if this, I must've pulled on the tubes from my dosing pump and the alk tube broke, so it pumped into my stand instead of the sump for maybe 3 days and I had a large alk drop. Never even tested. What I noticed first was montis dying back, and a couple acros struggling. That made me check in the sump. I saw the large amount of soda ash all over the stand and dosing jug and just went about water change and replacing the head of that dosing pump. And dumping in some extra soda ash over the next few days. Things took awhile to stabilize, but I'm back to where I was.
Just in time for progress on the upgrade! Hopefully moving the new tank off the stand so I can work on making the stand look nice.
Anyone near me around tomorrow late morning/early afternoon? Could use 1-2 people to help for all of one lift and set it down two feet away...?
Today or tomorrow? maybe so. give me a call 509-7526
jon
 
Past President
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
19,014
Thanks for the offers Jon and mike. My other helper fell through so I'm waiting till next weekend. Should have 3 helpers by then!
 
Past President
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
19,014
The 225 gal is in the living room! Hopefully will get a sump in place soon and fill it up! Planning on filling it with new water and probably like. 40 gal from the 120. Not worries about cycling or anything as I'm going to be being over most of the rocks from the 120. That does mean I'll have blue cloves everywhere for ever, but oh well. Maybe I'll do all new rock and frag everything if I can't stomach the cloves. All the fish are coming over for sure though. Hopefully more posts to come soon...
 
Top