Kessil

DBTC: Sprung's Burning Bush

I made a journal update.

55b41a26924f6fe66c125fd9f5139c8d

Don.Julio91 said:
Doing pretty good!
This is the bottom of a 5gallon bucket. Mixed with Red Gracilaria in my reactor. Growing with hydroponic spectrum. One thing to note the bushes are ridiculously dense even though they look small.

This post was automatically created by BARcode

Worth noting that it's been 5 days with a small tuxedo urchin and there seems to be minimal grazing. Big sigh of relief, we'll see if it lasts

So wanted to give a update on this microalage.

The first frag of this, I got was eaten by turbo snails the same day it went in the tank.

I was able to get a new frag of it from @JVU at the last swap.

Not wanting to have another frag eaten I took precautions and put it in the mushroom cage.
Screenshot_20240820_091642_Chrome.jpg

When it started growing out of the mushroom cage the turbos munched down any of it that their mouths could reach. I was originally keeping it in a im15 tank that I have since shut down.
* my trochus, hermits,other snails (except turbos), and fish all ignored this micro.

After trading that tank for another biocube32. I decided to buy a clear container for it that was larger than mushroom cage. With the thoughts clear for better light exposure and larger for more room to grow.

Screenshot_20240820_091322_Amazon Shopping.jpg

It was placed into my main biocube32 tank around July 6th. It has since than trippled in size and literally starting to glow on the new growth edges.

20240820_090944.jpg
20240820_091002.jpg

Concerns with clear container was possibly alage issues- keeping a eye on it. I haven't had to clean it once since placing it in the tank. The box is currently still as clear as the day I put it in.

Future plans:

1.) I plan to continue letting it grow out in this box.
2.) I plan to take two peices to put into standard mushroom cages to grow it to complete the dbtc.
3.) I plan to grow a large mass of it for the 65 gallon tank sump refugium, and as a source to share with whoever is intrested.
4.) I will eventually buy 1 more of these clear boxes for the other biocube32 waiting to be setup. With intent of having the same look as main tank as a type of intank display that also helps absorb Po4.
20240820_094003.jpg

The box i feel presents well in the display without being a eyesore. It also prevents it from spreading where I don't intend.

Lmao! Only if I can do something about all 6 of the frag racks in my main biocube32. I might be able to see the entire tank without having to look through the gaps.

Last edited:
So wanted to give a update on this microalage.

The first frag of this, I got was eaten by turbo snails the same day it went in the tank.

I was able to get a new frag of it from @JVU at the last swap.

Not wanting to have another frag eaten I took precautions and put it in the mushroom cage.
View attachment 59589

When it started growing out of the mushroom cage the turbos munched down any of it that their mouths could reach. I was originally keeping it in a im15 tank that I have since shut down.
* my trochus, hermits,other snails (except turbos), and fish all ignored this micro.

After trading that tank for another biocube32. I decided to buy a clear container for it that was larger than mushroom cage. With the thoughts clear for better light exposure and larger for more room to grow.

View attachment 59590

It was placed into my main biocube32 tank around July 6th. It has since than trippled in size and literally starting to glow on the new growth edges.

View attachment 59592View attachment 59591

Concerns with clear container was possibly alage issues- keeping a eye on it. I haven't had to clean it once since placing it in the tank. The box is currently still as clear as the day I put it in.

Future plans:

1.) I plan to continue letting it grow out in this box.
2.) I plan to take two peices to put into standard mushroom cages to grow it to complete the dbtc.
3.) I plan to grow a large mass of it for the 65 gallon tank sump refugium, and as a source to share with whoever is intrested.
4.) I will eventually buy 1 more of these clear boxes for the other biocube32 waiting to be setup. With intent of having the same look as main tank as a type of intank display that also helps absorb Po4.View attachment 59593

The box i feel presents well in the display without being a eyesore. It also prevents it from spreading where I don't intend.

Lmao! Only if I can do something about all 6 of the frag racks in my main biocube32. I might be able to see the entire tank without having to look through the gaps.
Nice idea! Do you think since having this in your tank, it's helped your nutrient levels? Or is it not a large enough cluster of it? I've been wanting some but my snails would definitely destroy it before I finished putting it in the water. That seems to be a cool way to display it and be useful for nutrients.

Nice idea! Do you think since having this in your tank, it's helped your nutrient levels? Or is it not a large enough cluster of it? I've been wanting some but my snails would definitely destroy it before I finished putting it in the water. That seems to be a cool way to display it and be useful for nutrients.
I think in my main biocube32 it's 3.5 years old so no real issues. It’s probably not enough to make a major difference in po4. I would rather feed this than any other types of alage. I'm sure it's taking in some nutrients though can't say how much as of yet due to small amount.

In the 65 i think it would make a larger impact. As it will have a full section to fill out, with the reverse cycle i'm planning to run in it.

In my main tank i will let it keep growing maybe once its really dense it will make some difference.

I think in your 50 gallon tank you could try a larger box in a corner. I went with the 3.9 inch one.

It looks awesome my wife notices it more than the coral lol.

With all the amount I have in my tank, nitrates were still climbing until I started carbon dosing

With all the amount I have in my tank, nitrates were still climbing until I started carbon dosing
Lol, no pun intended but your tank is what makes me want it to stay in it's own area. I hope to have your success at growing it, but only in the sump. Not implying its a weed, yet I'm limited in real estate already.

I've never paid attention at all to nitrates. Only p04 for the sps I keep.

Any specific difference you notice relating to p04 in your tank.

Lol, no pun intended but your tank is what makes me want it to stay in it's own area. I hope to have your success at growing it, but only in the sump. Not implying its a weed, yet I'm limited in real estate already.

I've never paid attention at all to nitrates. Only p04 for the sps I keep.

Any specific difference you notice relating to p04 in your tank.
I’ll talk about it more in my next tank update but i bottomed po4 out and got mild dino’s.

I broadcast feed reef roids every day now to maintain 0.05ppm otherwise it falls to 0

The macro lets me separate aggressive corals and put spicy things way closer to each other - it blocks mesenterial filaments and sweepers pretty well

Back