Neptune Aquatics

DeFarts' IM 50gal Lagoon Journey

Ignore and appreciate its part of the “cycle” or process.
I realized later, that I did not switch my light back to stay off. I was making changes to my quick settings on my controller and it had a full day of light. Amazing how much it grew in only one day. I was going to introduce the first corals I recently purchased from High Tide, but I may wait for a bit to let those diatoms cycle through for a bit. For now, they seem to be doing good in my 13.5

I know some of my questions may be silly, but the ignorance with all this runs DEEP!
Quick version and Questions:
  • Should I be throwing out the filter floss pads I have in the filter baskets?
  • Or should I wash them and reuse them like folks do with filter socks?

@Srt4eric Let me try out this IM Fleece Roller which would be an alternative to a filter basket. I just set it up today to give it a try and see if I want to buy it and order the extra rollers.
  • Has anyone else used these?
  • Long term, do you like it better than a media basket?
  • Should I try adding coarse sponge in the middle of this to help catch the larger stuff before it hits the Fleece?
The fleece roll material is MUCH thinner, so I can see having to rotate it at least every day or the next. It will definitely save time versus cutting pads and if I decide to wash them and reuse them. It is a bit of an eye sore honestly, but it's slowly growing on me just sitting there. Could potentially hide it somehow.

20231221_095131.jpg

One side
1000005914.jpg

Long Version:

So I have been running this tank with two media baskets. I have been using a DIY fine filter floss/pad that I cut to size as the first layer. Then multiple open-cell 30ppi foam pads that I have also cut myself in the rest of the basket.

These fine pads have been getting gunked up relatively quickly. I have even been feeding phyto for the pods, bivalves, and feather duster worms. On a few occasions, I have added crushed up some Reef Nutrition TDO pellets. So this is with basically no bioload except what I've been adding.

Other side
1000005913.jpg

Split the pad to see the center. Pretty dirty all the way through!
20231221_094814.jpg

These are thicker than filter socks, yet the detritus still gets through the entire pad.

I see people washing their filter socks. I have been throwing these out but I can see how that will start adding up. Adding up time to prepare and cut the pads. Is it worth the time, effort, and money to use these pads instead of the fleece roller? Should I only use the fleece roller when I stir up the sand bed for cleaning or after water changes? Or are these meant to run 24/7?

Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate the few of you that have been watching and responding.

This is where you need to find your own way young skywalker. Some people believe in mechanical filtration. Some people don’t. Filter pads. You can rinse them and reuse them. Until you can’t. Filter roller. Some people like them , some people don’t. If you run one and it’s manual. You’re gonna have to spin it every day or every few days. Are you that kinda person. As for replacement filter paper. On eBay , look up coolant paper. It’s a knock off of roller paper. You can get it in different microns.
Figure out what works for you and your own philosophy in bio. Then go with it. But you gotta do something for nutrient export.

Last edited:
This is where you need to find your own way young skywalker.
;)
Some people believe in mechanical filtration. Some people don’t.
oh really?! I honestly thought it was a necessity. Personally, I feel like they help. Also, 30ppi foam offers a massive amount of surface area for beneficial bacteria. I am referring to a study that compared many different types of filtration media. It scored higher than some common biomedia types actually (SeaChem Matrix, etc.). It seems it would also benefit copepods as well. I have a few extra pieces in my return pump chamber to add a little extra cleaning and for the pods to hide.

Honestly though, why wouldn't some folks believe in mechanical filtration?
Filter pads. You can rinse them and reuse them. Until you can’t.
ok. I'll have to try doing that and see how much I hate my life after trying that for a while. These oads aren't quite as tightly weaved as a filter sock, so we shall see how long they last.

Filter roller. Some people like them , some people don’t. If you run one and it’s manual. You’re gonna have to spin it every day or every few days. Are you that kinda person.
I probably wouldn't mind that much honestly. It would just need to become a routine. It will take some getting used to I suppose to know when to actually turn it. I would prefer to not be wasteful and turn it prematurely. God knows how much it has cost me because of prematurely...never mind...

As for replacement filter paper. On eBay , look up coolant paper. It’s a knock off of roller paper. You can get it in different microns.
Hey! Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look.
Figure out what works for you and your own philosophy in bio. Then go with it.
I get what you're saying. In all honesty, sometimes hearing and understanding other folks' experience over years of trial and error could help me from making a decision I just flat out regret is all. A perspective I had not considered or understood before. For example, is it really worth the effort of washing, sanitizing, and drying those filter pads? Or just toss them and use new ones? Or maybe not even use them at all as you sort of suggested in the beginning?

I don't know what I don't know...

In my nano I use filter floss. When it looks nasty I throw it away and stick a new wad in.

Then I open a beer and think about more important things. :)
Appreciate the insight. Curious if you wouldn't mind sharing which type of floss or pad you're using? How long does it normally last you?

Maybe I'll buy you a beer for helping me out. Haa haa.

Appreciate the insight. Curious if you wouldn't mind sharing which type of floss or pad you're using? How long does it normally last you?

Maybe I'll buy you a beer for helping me out. Haa haa.

I use this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ribbon-...er+floss&qid=1703198034&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-4

There are probably cheaper options, but I've only had to buy the one bag so far - I get a lot of mileage out of it in the Nano (13.5g). I'm not sure what the micron equivalent is, but it filters fine stuff out - sandstorms, for example, it clears right up.

Cleaning filter media, socks in particular, is about the most tedious chore I can imagine. I use a Clarisea in my large tank. I've also used nothing for extended periods of time - the only thing different was detritus seemed to accumulate faster in the sump without the roller mat, so I turned it back on because why not. If I were starting a new tank I would go filter-less to get more particulate into the sump for all the critters and filter feeders and pods and such. My honest opinion is that it probably doesn't matter much either way, there are such great examples of success with nothing, crazy effective filtration, and everything in between.

Using filter media, socks is an economical and effective way to control your nitrate and phosphate input; however, swapping/cleaning them and how often to do so is personal view/choice (like @SepToob mentioned above)

(13. Not tuning your filter socks to meet your tank's nitrogen and phosphate input)

I don't use mechanical filtration in my tank and pretty much just vacuum the sump when stuff collects. If it's something you have to deal with near daily, you're don't going to keep doing it when it becomes a chore. Many different ways of skinning a cat like @phc567 said. I also never vacuumed my sand bed for almost 20 years.

However when you're storming the tank, then you can get a pretty effective polishing from something like a sock then pulling it out that same day.

I use this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ribbon-...er+floss&qid=1703198034&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-4

There are probably cheaper options, but I've only had to buy the one bag so far - I get a lot of mileage out of it in the Nano (13.5g).
I do have a bunch of that already. Use that a lot in various other FW tanks. The filter pads I'm using now are the same material just weaved together. Thanks

Using filter media, socks is an economical and effective way to control your nitrate and phosphate input;
Makes sense. Also a way to trap those too! Thanks for the link
I don't use mechanical filtration in my tank and pretty much just vacuum the sump when stuff collects. If it's something you have to deal with near daily, you're don't going to keep doing it when it becomes a chore.
Thanks for that insight on your methods. You're right about it becoming a chore. I'd have to decide which chore would be more of a hassle. Cleaning the filter baskets/ pads, rolling the fleece, or no mechanical and have to clean out the chambers from time to time.

Well...I finally saw the shrimp I had seen before in much more detail. It found itself a little cove in a rock and is on full display in the front of the tank. I did a Google image search and it came back from multiple angles as a Mantis shrimp. Can someone please confirm for me. It is roughly 1.5" in length. Possibly smaller since the glass can distort the view.

And if it is, what is the best course of action moving forward? Attempt to catch it and put it in my fluval 13.5? Or leave it and cross my fingers that future inhabitants survive it?

I tried to feed it some frozen mysis, and it took it. Ate a few of them actually.

Honestly...the thing is badass! Has this turned into an expensive Mantis Shrimp tank?!

20231224_132909.jpg
20231224_132840.jpg
20231224_134119.jpg

Yes. It’s a mantis shrimp. It’s a nice one too. Usually they are the red ones from the gulf coast. Some people say they kill stuff. I’ve had them before. If they are small they won’t. But everyone is different. If you want to catch it. You can do the reverse bottle trick or find his hole and remove the rock. Put the rock in a bucket. And remove him in the bucket of salt water.

If you want to catch it. You can do the reverse bottle trick or find his hole and remove the rock. Put the rock in a bucket. And remove him in the bucket of salt water.
Yeah, it's an awesome looking shrimp for sure! Ideally, I'd like it out of this tank. So now it will be the next task for this tank. First Gorilla crabs and now confirming this dang thing.
He will probably kill all your inverts. Neat hitchhiker. Id trade him imo
I'm going to try and catch it and put it in the fluval. Let it live in there. Will it kill big snails too? I have some behemoth snails that I was going to get into this tank to start working on algae.

I also got a mantis shrimp on my live rock. I think they are pretty badass and decided to just leave him alone. I see him snatching frozen food occasionally. I don’t think he has killed a single thing in my tank.

The people insisting they kill stuff haven’t ever had one (a small one from the gulf, that is) and the people that have actually had them say they didn’t really cause any harm. At least this was my conclusion after making a post exactly like yours on various forums.

That being said, if you’ve got a good home for him in your nano, that’s probably the best course of action anyway!

Yours looks cooler than mine. Here’s a great resource if you want to try and identify it:

Note that not all of them are clubbers, so it may not even hunt inverts. Though I’d be more concerned for my fish if it was the “spearer” type!

I also got a mantis shrimp on my live rock. I think they are pretty badass and decided to just leave him alone. I see him snatching frozen food occasionally. I don’t think he has killed a single thing in my tank.

The people insisting they kill stuff haven’t ever had one (a small one from the gulf, that is) and the people that have actually had them say they didn’t really cause any harm. At least this was my conclusion after making a post exactly like yours on various forums.

That being said, if you’ve got a good home for him in your nano, that’s probably the best course of action anyway!
Yeah, I agree. It's definitely badass! Not knowing a specific species has me more concerned than comforted. Not knowing how large it will become mainly. My daughter is already in love with it! So there's ZERO chance of me doing anything else with it. This could be a good way to convince Momma on getting another tank! ;)
Yours looks cooler than mine. Here’s a great resource if you want to try and identify it:
Thanks for the link! Checking it out shortly. I also posted to R2R in an attempt to get a species ID. They have a mantis shrimp section.
Note that not all of them are clubbers, so it may not even hunt inverts. Though I’d be more concerned for my fish if it was the “spearer” type!
It does appear to have clubs. But I will attempt to catch it and get much better and more detailed images.

It's currently getting a name. Our cleaner shrimp is named Tempura. This guy apparently will be getting a shrimp dish name as well. Haaa haaa.

Yeah, I hadnt placed that one where I wanted it. I found a couple pieces that had broken off it though. Glued them together and turned them into more horizontal surface area. I think this looks much better. Thoughts?
View attachment 51383
Here's an angle of where I have the MP10. The crooked cord is making me nauseated...making adjustment...
View attachment 51386

They're not close. Floating magnet cleaner clears it with room to spare all the way around. I think the angles of the pics make it hard to see. There are a couple spots up higher that are a tighter squeeze if I needed to get my hands in there, but the cleaner gets through just fine.

It's a AIO. Can't put them in the back.

Ive got lots of swim throughs and caves I think. Here's a couple more pics. Ouch...look at the scratch. :( It's ok...it was a great deal and I'm going to try and learn to ignore it. LOL
View attachment 51384
Last night I installed two return pumps to increase the flow and give me the ability to use the dual nozzles on each side. The increased flow allows me to use the rotating nozzles on each head also. Each one hits the surface so there is quite a bit of agitation and turbulence. With the increased flow, I'm getting a lot more water pouring into the pump chamber causing air bubbles. Currently stopped it by adding some course sponge near the overflow of the 2nd chambers.
View attachment 51385

Thanks!
Are those SpinStream nozzles? How do you like them? Any issues? Been thinking about trying them out there is another brand I think.
Paul

Back