Reef nutrition

Derek's 225g - Magnifica / SPS Reef

Tubing inside pump heads good? Could be getting worn out

Tubing get hard and clogs easily. Make sure to grease up with something like Molykote 111.

I find that the tubing you can buy from Ecotech for the rollers doesn’t last a terribly long time. 7-8 months at the most, but I change them every 6 months or so. Haven’t yet tried sourcing my own tubing yet.

Tubing get hard and clogs easily. Make sure to grease up with something like Molykote 111.

I find that the tubing you can buy from Ecotech for the rollers doesn’t last a terribly long time. 7-8 months at the most, but I change them every 6 months or so. Haven’t yet tried sourcing my own tubing yet.

Mine have always gotten flattened under the rollers so I have always assumed they lost rigidity in that area. Serves me right :p

Couple cool things worth sharing. I bought two of those battery-powered USB fans that @JVU suggested in the power outage thread, decided to test them out yesterday during the heat wave. My tank was swinging between 76 and 81. Tank didn't seem to mind but I wanted to try the fans out. Two of them on my tank (6ft) made a surprisingly huge difference, you can see when I added them:

IMG_2495-t.PNG

I had to turn them off before bed to prevent the tank actually getting too cool. They were also still at "100%" on the battery indicator after 6 hours of use at medium speed! Awesome product. Here's the link again so you don't have to dig up the other thread: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08866RDYK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I have also been experimenting with dosing alk at night. Drip dosing 90ml (the full daily dose) of ESV at night from 7pm to 6am to see if it keeps PH up, similar to dosing kalk - and it does. PH bottomed out around 8.35:

IMG_2495.PNG

Alk swings a little more doing this but not sure that matters. Going to keep doing this for a bit and see if it makes any kind of difference. PH is logarithmic so trading some alk stability for PH stability makes sense, I guess?

FTS after some more rearranging, trying to pack in more SPS:
RH5A1573 (1).jpg

RH5A1574 (1).jpg

RH5A1575 (1).jpg

Couple cool things worth sharing. I bought two of those battery-powered USB fans that @JVU suggested in the power outage thread, decided to test them out yesterday during the heat wave. My tank was swinging between 76 and 81. Tank didn't seem to mind but I wanted to try the fans out. Two of them on my tank (6ft) made a surprisingly huge difference, you can see when I added them:

View attachment 58972

I had to turn them off before bed to prevent the tank actually getting too cool. They were also still at "100%" on the battery indicator after 6 hours of use at medium speed! Awesome product. Here's the link again so you don't have to dig up the other thread: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08866RDYK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I have also been experimenting with dosing alk at night. Drip dosing 90ml (the full daily dose) of ESV at night from 7pm to 6am to see if it keeps PH up, similar to dosing kalk - and it does. PH bottomed out around 8.35:

View attachment 58973

Alk swings a little more doing this but not sure that matters. Going to keep doing this for a bit and see if it makes any kind of difference. PH is logarithmic so trading some alk stability for PH stability makes sense, I guess?

FTS after some more rearranging, trying to pack in more SPS:
View attachment 58974
View attachment 58975
View attachment 58976

Looks great. My best advice for smoothing out graphs like that is to throw another log scale on the Y axis. Smooths everything right out and makes the graphs looks as good as the tank!

Ecotech sent replacement tubing for my versas for free...will install and see if it helps with the calibration issues. Their CS has been pretty good so far but still very annoying (they wanted to see a video of my setup...).

Also dealing with some Cyano right now. It seems to come and go in my tank...I've noticed that growth seems better when cyano is around. Maybe just a coincidence, or maybe there's some correlation. I never do anything about it and it usually goes away after a bit. I have been dosing KZ FWS so perhaps that's feeding it? I haven't really changed anything else in a while.

FTS w/ blues:
RH5A1702.jpg

Other side:
RH5A1701.jpg

Ecotech sent replacement tubing for my versas for free...will install and see if it helps with the calibration issues. Their CS has been pretty good so far but still very annoying (they wanted to see a video of my setup...).

Also dealing with some Cyano right now. It seems to come and go in my tank...I've noticed that growth seems better when cyano is around. Maybe just a coincidence, or maybe there's some correlation. I never do anything about it and it usually goes away after a bit. I have been dosing KZ FWS so perhaps that's feeding it? I haven't really changed anything else in a while.

FTS w/ blues:
View attachment 59446

Other side:
View attachment 59449

Is the cyano showing up at the bottom of rocks in the picture below? Or is that red coralline? If it is cyano, it looks like that is an area that might not get much flow. Could try adding a temporary powerhead if you have a spare and see if that helps.

IMG_3006.png

Is the cyano showing up at the bottom of rocks in the picture below? Or is that red coralline? If it is cyano, it looks like that is an area that might not get much flow. Could try adding a temporary powerhead if you have a spare and see if that helps.

View attachment 59450

Thanks - yeah I am actually adding a second SOW20, mostly to try and get a bigger standing wave going. The flow through my tank is actually pretty high, though - which definitely helps keep the cyano down most of the time. It still randomly appears, goes nuts, then sort of burns itself out from time to time.

Back