Reef nutrition

Flooring Experts Talk to Me

Bruce Spiegelman

Sponsorship, Public Relations
BOD
Here's a pic of the living room and the wall the tank is going on. Currently the fllor has new (but cheap) vinyl wood planks, but I'm changing the whole house to a higher grade of engineered wood planks.

Since I'm taking out the current floor I have the option to something else under the tank if I should. What's everyone else seen and done? Tile for under the tank? Some other way to protect against spills? Rubber pad?

19040478_3_2 (1).jpg

Look at amtico flooring. Supper durable but expensive. It's an LVP but a lot better than other brands.

I’ve had issues with engineered flooring not being able to expand/contract or whatever it does under the feet (4”x4”) at the corners of my stands.

If I ever build a dedicated tank are it will have a rubber bathtub around it with a water alarm and exterior drain.
My vote is either tile, painted cement, or leave it bare but get enough extra flooring material to patch it if the tank ever moves.

I'm concerned though that the tank and stand will be delivered weeks after the floor has been put in. While I can get the measurement of the base I'd be worried the flooring guys won't be exact enough.

Use tape on the floor. You should know how big your stand is and wher you want to put it. Let them know up to this line and you can always put a trim piece around the base of the stand to cover up any gap.

That said if this tank is more or less permanent for this house I would put down tile where the tank goes and extend it to a "drip zone"/ wet area around the tank. Last thing you want is water getting under your flooring.

Use tape on the floor. You should know how big your stand is and wher you want to put it. Let them know up to this line and you can always put a trim piece around the base of the stand to cover up any gap.

That said if this tank is more or less permanent for this house I would put down tile where the tank goes and extend it to a "drip zone"/ wet area around the tank. Last thing you want is water getting under your flooring.

That's what I was thinking too.

Where'd you find a retailer?
I didn't but my contractors sub ordered though his typical floor supply company. I think it runs 7 a sq foot for just material. Its glued down so the subflooring must be completely level. They then trowel on the glue like a thinset. Water does not affect this flooring.

We did vinyl planks down stairs in the fish room. Waterproof looks like wood and has a 25 year warranty. Jerry regularly over fills stuff. With the vinyl planks we just laugh and call in the weekly mopping.

Funny on the way home today heard an advertisement for "Lifeproof" vinyl flooring at Home Depot. Made me think of Bruce... made me wish I didn't already have hundreds of square feet of older (non-water proof) stuff for around my tank. I know Costco has a fantastic return policy, but seriously it's been sitting in my garage for years.

Back