Neptune Aquatics

Generators ( which one to buy )

So how are you guys running your generators, assuming they have to run over night? I can run mine in the backyard but am worried about disturbing my neighbors..I have one very nosy neighbor that will likely complain about the noise

You could build a baffled box around it or put it in a shed. However, if you do so, ensure that the exhaust is vented correctly. There are many examples of possible methods on youtube. I haven't actually done it yet, so I'll refrain from commenting on which videos are good or bad ones. This may also be necessary step if we ever get a power outage and it's raining anyway...sound damping will be a bonus.

The Champion 3400W model I purchased runs around 59dB from 23 ft away. I ran it overnight in my backyard and one of my neighbors didn't even know I had one running and the other was able to sleep through it even with their window cracked open. I'm also lucky enough to not have a neighbor directly behind me. Sleep is pretty important to me and I didn't want to be kept up let alone my neighbors, so the extra expense was worth it.

What you really want is a fuel cell generator.
A bit like the now bankrupt ClearEdge5, or the someday Watt RV fuel cell.
Converts natural gas or gasoline to hydrogen, then "burns" that in a fuel cell.
Totally silent. Very efficient. Minimal pollution.

But as available as a Mindstream monitor.

My Tesla Powerwalls performed perfectly during the 44-hour loss of power I had Sun/Mon. With solar to recharge them every day, they would last extended periods of time. No fuel or exhaust concerns, and they run nearly silent (small fan noise).

My Tesla Powerwalls performed perfectly during the 44-hour loss of power I had Sun/Mon. With solar to recharge them every day, they would last extended periods of time. No fuel or exhaust concerns, and they run nearly silent (small fan noise).
this is my goal after additional 13 panels install

Yeah I'd like to get a PowerWall or two, but thanks to my wife there's no space in our garage... fricking hoarder.... although winds may shift soon if I lose my shit which is vast approaching.

Out of curiosity do the Powerwalls have a built in inverter to power the house in case of a power outage? Or do you need an external one that can island your home?

The inverter to be grid-independent is a separate box but comes with the install.

And Hui is right that the Powerwalls are made and rated to be installed outdoors if you want (I put mine in the garage though).

How long did it run your tank on the wall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not sure if I understand, but I had whole-house power the whole time, tank running as normal. We did turn off non-essentials around the house just to be safe. The battery discharges slowly after the sun goes down and recharges fully with solar the next day, got down to about 40% minmum.

The inverter to be grid-independent is a separate box but comes with the install.

And Hui is right that the Powerwalls are made and rated to be installed outdoors if you want (I put mine in the garage though).
Well that really sucks, because I already have an inverter for my solar setup, so to require another inverter on top of that (they ain't cheap) kind of puts this into the "might as well use a generator" category.

And I live in San Francisco there is no "outside" to put it unless it's on the back of the house which is the farthest possibly distance from the electrical panel.

How many unit do you have? Is it the powerwall2? I already have summer wanted to see what’s the cost for one. Thanks

Well that really sucks, because I already have an inverter for my solar setup, so to require another inverter on top of that (they ain't cheap) kind of puts this into the "might as well use a generator" category.

And I live in San Francisco there is no "outside" to put it unless it's on the back of the house which is the farthest possibly distance from the electrical panel.
I already had solar so I was in the same boat as you are (this inverter is in addition to one I already had). Being able to use my solar when the grid is down with this extra inverter was the exact opposite of a reason not to get the Powerwalls for me. I guess there lots of different ways to look at it.

my only problem with the batteries is what if it’s not summer and the sun isn’t out or it’s raining or cloudy? You won’t be able to change the batteries back up fast enough and you’re stuck with some big paper weights and no power.

How many unit do you have? Is it the powerwall2? I already have summer wanted to see what’s the cost for one. Thanks

I have 2 Powerwall2’s. The cost Hui said sounds right. Some cost per unit savings if you get more than one since they have some shared hardware and obviously labor.

my only problem with the batteries is what if it’s not summer and the sun isn’t out or it’s raining or cloudy? You won’t be able to change the batteries back up fast enough and you’re stuck with some big paper weights and no power.
That is a concern. Actually for me, Fall and Spring are optimal because I get lots of sun but it isn’t too hot. Summer gets hot and my solar plus batteries isn’t enough to run my AC any significant amount, but if I was willing to let the house get hot it would be fine since there would be lots of solar coming in. Winter is potentially a problem due to less sun (although I almost always do get enough to charge the batteries in the winter). I still think it is more reliable and fool-proof than other options out there. For short outages (less than a half day) it would be perfectly fine as is, any time of year, with no interaction with the system.

So if my solar isnt that large and it takes a few days to total recharge the wall would it be feasible to get the wall? My roof could only fit a 3.5kw solar systems figure it would take a few days to charge the powerwall and only want to use it during emergencies outtages.

My champion from Costco just arrived.
37e663a4d5e8359abede626e2148d5d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back