Our mission

glee's tank journal

about a month ago, i teed off my ehiem return and plumbed my cpr 6 gallon nano to my existing set up. there is a small mini jet inside the tank for additional circulation. the lighting is all power compacts with 1 quad actinic, 1 dual actinic, and 1 dual daylight. there is an additional dual daylight in the canopy, but i opted not to run it. it's already very bright. initially i had it bare bottom, but after the oct lecture with paul whitby i decided to put some sand in it. i had a bucket full of nano sized live rock in the basement for the aquascaping. i tried to do a "v" with a central valley but there just wasnt enough space, so i opted for the upside down "v." i know, it looks more like a "u."

not really a full tank shot, but close enough. i had my macro lens out and was too lazy to change lens.
IMG_9181.jpg

some close ups on some corals and my fish (tail spot blenny)....
IMG_9183.jpg

IMG_9184.jpg

IMG_9185.jpg

IMG_9187.jpg

IMG_9188.jpg

IMG_9191.jpg

IMG_9193.jpg

IMG_9192.jpg

inverts: pom pom crab (hides all day), 2 blue legged hermit crabs, 2 ips snails from lyn, 1 mini brittle star (3" was a hitchhiker that fell out after an iodine dip and i didnt want to kill it.) wanted to put some sexy shrimp in there, but damn they are so tiny. looking for 1 trochus snail.

the next things i will put in the tank are tubs blue zoas and these. waiting for both of them to heal from fragging.
IMG_9211.jpg

what do you guys think? should i put some sexy shrimp in there? what other corals based on my lighting, flow, rockwork should i put that will give it a wow effect? also, if you see something you like, i will try to make some frags for dbtc.

I have not even torn down my anemone tank yet, haha :D I am going to do it after my midterms; the renovation on my home just finished too -finally!

Looks great Garvin! Nice colorful corals. :) I went for the cave effect in my 12 gal. too; just not enough space for channels. :( I'll have to put the 75 together and try it then. :)

How do you like the sand vs. no sand effect? I've been thinking about going sandless because so many people have it that way and there is less detritus build up. What do you think now that you have had it both ways?

hey sherri, thanks! are you planning to shut down tanks to make the 75 or just adding another tank? i am nano crazy right now and want to plumb another to my system, so if you end up with something for sale, lmk.

bare bottom always had debris and when i did water changes, i would try to siphon that stuff out. the debris was sticky and hard to remove, so i ended up putting a very shallow layer of sand from my 100. i would be more worried about detritus build up if it was a stand alone system, but mine is plumbed directly to my sump chamber with skimmer. i turkey baste the rocks and the stuff overflows out. i dont think i'll go back to bare bottom because it was so hard for me to keep it "looking" clean. and as paul whitby said, "it just looks more natural with sand."

IMG_9289-1-1.jpg

i thought of the perfect spot for the hammer last night but didnt realize the base was so big. i removed 2 pieces of live rock and rearranged some corals to accommodate this new addition. my brain is a little smooshed when it's fully inflated so i'll have to figure something out tomorrow.

i had 5 polyps of purple death palys that melted away over the last couple of days, so i'm hoping to get in a replacement soon. im still looking for more interesting zoas, other matting corals to cover the live rock, and some cool macro algae. if anyone has extra red or green grape caulerpa, please pm me.

I can cover you on the purple deaths, I'm thinking on upgrading tank hopefully done by Christmas and have some PD.
LMK
That's an awesome looking hammer and hard to come by.

hi xcaret, thanks for the offer. i was able to get another frag recently and hopefully this one will spread again.

that orange hammer is getting really inflated and was able to reach/sting my acans. hammer > acan so i moved the acan into my 100. eventually, i will redo the nano...

OT in SF has some really nice stuff and can special order just about anything.

Garvin,

Thanks for driving today during the tour....your knack for finding parking spots in the city is uncanny ! Hope to see your tank with the halides "on" next time. :p

Jim

p.s.

Get some rest with the new addition to the fam. ;)

Wow. That's some beautiful aqua-scaping. Great balance and looks like the 5/3 Rule is well executed too. I'm surprised it took me all this time to find your tank journal thread. So glad to have met you today. :)

Thx good meeting you too. Will be looking out for the Penn tank tour.

The kid is starting to teethe. I forsee long nights ahead.

Hi Garvin, Thanks for the reply on the sand. I wondered how people kept their barebottom clean. I guess having a thin layer would be good for looks and not contribute heavily to detritus build-up.

I might have a tank available after I upsize. What size were you looking for? My upsizing is going very slowly due to my husband's work schedule and for the fact that my hobby is not his hobby, but I can't complain since he supports me in my eccentricities. :bigsmile:

How old is your baby now? My son was 9 months and my daughter a whopping 13 months before they cracked their first tooth. We threatend to get my daughter dentures if she didn't get any by the time she was a year old. ;)

lol, she was walking before her first tooth? tristan is a little over 3 months old. sebastian;s first tooth came when he was 4 months.

im looking for something less than 14g i think. itll have to fit the space on the left side of my 100g. when you finish upgrading, let me know the dimensions.

happy holidays to you and yours!

i havent updated this thread in a long time...i had a palythoa hitchhiker that spread uncontrolled (my bad) on the right (sps) side of my rock work. it killed the majority of a rose milli colony. i was able to frag the milli and pass it along to another bar member. i took my clippers and cut most of the paly as i siphoned those suckers out, but a month later the colony was as healthy as ever and continued spreading on to the base of other sps corals and other live rock. a few weeks ago, i pulled out 3 large pieces (over 12" x 6 " each) of live rock, chopped up my sps, and threw the rocks into my start up frag tank. my teal stag also grew right into my orange monti digitata and killed parts of it. i thought the general rule was that sps will grow away from each other?

any way, i made a frag rack for the upcoming swap so i haven't been able to take a fts, but will definitely post a pic once i get that ugly thing out of my display.

Back