got ethical husbandry?

How often do you do water changes?

Hey everyone,
Just curious to see how often and how much people do water changes.
I do 5-10 gallons every 2 weeks for a 110g tank.

Not sure if I should do more or less since theres no fish in the system.

How about you guys?

20-30 gallons every 2 weeks on my 60, but I dont dose or have any filtration at all so thats why its more on the heavier water change side

So, for the folks that never do water changes - how do you manage nutrient export?

Algae Scrubber primarily, backed up with a skimmer that's on part of the time or it strips things out too much. For those times that I notice an issue a judicious use of GFO. Add to that a good clean up crew and my secret weapon ( a few big clams that filter a ton of nutrients and I rarely have an issue. I just checked my Phos and Nitrates today actually. Phos was at .02 and Nitrates at 5. My skimmers been off for 10 days.My tank also has way too many fish and I feed three times a day.

I have to admit though that it helps having a larger tank. :)

Is an algae scrubber more efficient than a fuge with Chaeto? Does it require more maintenance?

Sorry to get off-topic, but this is very interesting.

Is an algae scrubber more efficient than a fuge with Chaeto? Does it require more maintenance?

Sorry to get off-topic, but this is very interesting.

I think it's much more efficient. There's a good BRS video on this. It's very little maintenance. Clean the screen once a week which takes 5 minutes.

Would like to do one, trying to figure out how to clean out all the brown sludge inside my 100g water container, I mean I guess I can drag a hose and clean it off...

plus waiting for salt to show up, amazon next day! :) Unfortunately that particular vendor only allows 3 - 50g sacks at a time :(

Back