Jestersix

I feel like Kaiser-Permanente ripped off my pops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I brought dad to Kaiser for an eye exam, he needs help due to mental problems, unfortunately after the exam they only allowed one person to sit with the eye glass technician or whatever they're called (not sure if they're actual optometrist or if they're ex-car salespersons), and after a while they come back ring him up and the total $527, I asked "doesn't he have insurance?" and yes he does... that was with $175 taken off the top. So I go to look at the bill, it's like $500 for lenses, it says "VIP something" now he has progressives, so I get those cost more... but $500? and yes they do have that sunlight color change but damn... then there's like another $130 for special coating. I don't know why but I feel like they talked him into buying premium lenses and what not when he really doesn't need them. Hell my glasses are progressive, with the color changing in sun, and a special anti-glare coating, but they cost like $150 or so at Costco. Now I know Costco won't be beat as far as price, but over $700 seems really extreme for eyeglasses, now if he got $500 frames and then they ended up being $700 then sure I get it, but that seems like a lot for something that isn't even a very strong prescription. So my father has always been one to be the "oh yeah we need that", well he's got partial dementia now, so I feel like the eye glass technician really sold him on everything.

Definitely thinking of grabbing his bill and going down to Kaiser tomorrow without him and finding out more about this bill. I don't mind if they're paying more than Costco, but that seems excessively more for a pair of eyeglasses without fancy frames.

I'm in Kaiser network and in the last year or two had an exam and new glasses. Total cost was similar with progressives and anti-glare. My frames don't have a name or logo I recognize but they're pretty nice and have held up. $500-$600 sounds around the price point. Yes--too much for what they are.

I'd like to help clear-up for others who may not know: your dad's eye exam was conducted by a medical doctor. His frames, lenses, features--the eyewear product--are provided through Kaiser's "store". Their product is what it is.

What I do remember is that Kaiser has a satisfaction guarantee. Maybe you could return the glasses for a full refund and take the prescription to an online service like Zenni. I've had great results with Zenni. I get prescription sport (mountain biking) glasses from them for $50 that I don't mind smashing up. https://www.zennioptical.com. Punch in the prescription, take a measurement of his pupal distance and they arrive in the mail. They're not the only company doing this too.

So I brought dad to Kaiser for an eye exam, he needs help due to mental problems, unfortunately after the exam they only allowed one person to sit with the eye glass technician or whatever they're called (not sure if they're actual optometrist or if they're ex-car salespersons), and after a while they come back ring him up and the total $527, I asked "doesn't he have insurance?" and yes he does... that was with $175 taken off the top. So I go to look at the bill, it's like $500 for lenses, it says "VIP something" now he has progressives, so I get those cost more... but $500? and yes they do have that sunlight color change but damn... then there's like another $130 for special coating. I don't know why but I feel like they talked him into buying premium lenses and what not when he really doesn't need them. Hell my glasses are progressive, with the color changing in sun, and a special anti-glare coating, but they cost like $150 or so at Costco. Now I know Costco won't be beat as far as price, but over $700 seems really extreme for eyeglasses, now if he got $500 frames and then they ended up being $700 then sure I get it, but that seems like a lot for something that isn't even a very strong prescription. So my father has always been one to be the "oh yeah we need that", well he's got partial dementia now, so I feel like the eye glass technician really sold him on everything.

Definitely thinking of grabbing his bill and going down to Kaiser tomorrow without him and finding out more about this bill. I don't mind if they're paying more than Costco, but that seems excessively more for a pair of eyeglasses without fancy frames.
You should go back and ask. Who sold your the glasses is not a doctor, doctor did the exam and generat the prescription that is passed to a retailer who are trained to sell overpriced glasses. Insurance usually cover $150 of the glasses (this is ppo) inwpipd expect with Kaiser yhey cover more. The trick is, insurance will not cover shove certain criteria and features in the glasses and what these "retailers" they push things to have higher price cost so you pay out of pocket so they make their profit from you then go deal with insurance reimbursement. This is stupid and not fair with your dad situation. I would go back and ask for lower cost glasses that insurance would approve and carry most of its cost.
I buy my wife designer brand glasses and barely pay $500 to $700 out of pocket.. Hell my glasses are titanium and costed me $450 after insurance portion...

Last edited:
If you’re able to return the glasses, I’ve been getting Warby Parker glasses for the last few years. They start at 95$ for basic prescription glasses, I have bad vision and needed to upgrade to a thinner glass or something but mine with all the options are still under $300. I took them to my old glasses shop to get a quote for new lenses to try to support the local business but they wanted $300 for just new lenses.
Read up on luxottica, they’re a major player that drive up the cost of glasses and sun glasses, some of the brands they own are: Lens Crafters, Ray Ban, Sunglass Hut, and almost every designer brands licensed optical product rights to them (Gucci, channel, Versace). They’re massive and they have close to a monopoly on eye wear

I'm in Kaiser network and in the last year or two had an exam and new glasses. Total cost was similar with progressives and anti-glare. My frames don't have a name or logo I recognize but they're pretty nice and have held up. $500-$600 sounds around the price point. Yes--too much for what they are.
Ok, this is really all I care about, if Kaiser glasses are more expensive than others that's fine, I just didn't want my dad to get all sorts of "upcharges" like the high index glass (he doesn't have coke bottle glasses so no need for thinner stuff), or the ultra high impact polycarbonate (for obvious reasons he's not allowed to touch a power tool). I was just confused because their website says "multi-focal" starts at $149*, and yeah I realize that's bifocal not progressive, but still. But if that's what they charge, I'm not going to complain about it and simply realize they charge more than others which again I'm fine with, I just didn't want him taken advantage of because he's an old guy who's more likely to say yes when some technician is spouting technobabble at him, and due to COVID-19 I was not allowed to be over there and help him with the decision making process.

Ok, this is really all I care about, if Kaiser glasses are more expensive than others that's fine, I just didn't want my dad to get all sorts of "upcharges" like the high index glass (he doesn't have coke bottle glasses so no need for thinner stuff), or the ultra high impact polycarbonate (for obvious reasons he's not allowed to touch a power tool). I was just confused because their website says "multi-focal" starts at $149*, and yeah I realize that's bifocal not progressive, but still. But if that's what they charge, I'm not going to complain about it and simply realize they charge more than others which again I'm fine with, I just didn't want him taken advantage of because he's an old guy who's more likely to say yes when some technician is spouting technobabble at him, and due to COVID-19 I was not allowed to be over there and help him with the decision making process.
You should call and demand a return and cheaper glasses option. In this time and given your dad situation it is unethical not to provide cheaper option, one that mostly covered by insurance..I would call today before they start making the glasses and they tell u it's too late..

If your father can’t make financial decisions on his own, or has additional limitations such as mild dementia or language/communication barriers, these patients are allowed to be accompanied in KP facilities.

I don’t think it’s fair to say he was “ripped off” or call it unethical, when the optical department, which is selling eyeglasses, offers upgrades that they would offer to any patient, and your dad says that he wants it. My dad says yes to these things too. It’s his money.

If your dad didn’t understand what was being asked, or is not capable of making those financial decisions, then someone should have been with him.

Just my 2c.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your father can’t make financial decisions on his own, or has additional limitations such as mild dementia or language/communication barriers, these patients are allowed to be accompanied in KP facilities.

I don’t think it’s fair to say he was “ripped off” or call it unethical, when the optical department, which is selling eyeglasses, offers upgrades that they would offer to any patient, and your dad says that he wants it. My dad says yes to these things too. It’s his money.

If your dad didn’t understand what was being asked, or is not capable of making those financial decisions, then someone should have been with him.

Just my 2c.

That's exactly my fear

Yeah, I'm still learning the ropes of what I can demand when I'm with him. The person blocking the waiting area just seemed very cut and dry about "only one person here"

Yeah, I'm still learning the ropes of what I can demand when I'm with him. The person blocking the waiting area just seemed very cut and dry about "only one person here"

If your dad seems pretty functional, they probably would say that. But I bet if you explain the situation, they won’t give you much trouble. My dad can make his own financial decisions, but I’m sure if I were with him, he would make better ones, LOL.

I have Kaiser as well. I only buy my glasses from them if they are on sale. If not, I'll take my prescription and buy on-line or Costco. That said, I do think they slightly took advantage of the situation here. I agree with Gablami, explain the situation and I bet they will accommodate in the future. It wouldn't hurt to go back to talk to them also. The worst thing they can say is get lost.

~Charlie

Just so you are aware you can also use VSP with Kaiser if you have that. So whatever Kaiser does not cover, you can submit to VSP .... Not sure if that helps, but PSA if not.

Ok, this is really all I care about, if Kaiser glasses are more expensive than others that's fine, I just didn't want my dad to get all sorts of "upcharges" like the high index glass (he doesn't have coke bottle glasses so no need for thinner stuff), or the ultra high impact polycarbonate (for obvious reasons he's not allowed to touch a power tool).

My KP optometrist brother-in-law tells his patients to take the prescription to Costco for glasses. He hates seeing retired folks on fixed income pay KP prices for glasses.

I tried KP optical for glasses for the first time a few years ago after leaving UC. The glasses were ok at first but the AR coating crazed and one lens developed a 1mm edge crack that lengthened more over time.

My brother-in-law said he’s seen that type of crack if the lenses are too tight in the frames. My glasses from UC Optometry never had problems with the AR coating.

I looked at the lenses through a polarizing filter and they seemed to show stress patterns in the plastic.

I talked to the optician and the department manager about warranty replacement, but the best they came back with was 1/2 price and no guarantee that the glasses would be good. This was after they tried blaming me for every possible way of damaging the glasses myself.

I was really surprised at that kind of customer service considering that KP service had been really impressive for acute care and rehab(Kaiser Foundation Rehabilition Center).

So that was my first and last time buying glasses from Kaiser.

I wore an old pair of glasses for a while and just got a new pair of glasses from Zenni Optical. New glasses are great, and I’ll probably just get them from Zenni from now on. Cancelling my VSP and will be getting just free eye exams from KP to send to Zenni.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back