Cali Kid Corals

I'm back!

Picked up an 8 bulb ATI power module today. I'll hang it over the tank tonight.

Transfered the foxfax to new QT tank again.

API test isn't able to detect nitrates in the biocube anymore. Ordered a salifert nitrates kit.
No color on the salifert phosphates kit. I cut the refugium algae in half as soon as it gets too big to tumble, about once a week.

100g tank refugium is growing well. Im going to do a large water change soon. Nitrates are around 20 ppm with me throwing a cube of frozen mysis in there every couple days.

And there is light
20220322_162140.jpg

Next on the equipment list is another gyre pump then a dosing pump. At some point I will get a tank controller, probably an Apex since it's what I'm the most familiar with, and eventually a calcium reactor.

Salifert nitrate test is showing 0.5ppm nitrate.

I guess I need to feed more.

One of the gorgonians is slowly losing color and the cyphastra looks pissed.

The QT tank in the garage got over 80 today so I tossed the Foxface into the 100g display.

Stopped at my LFS to pick up my order of clowns from ORA.

There was a lady waiting as a staff member was catching a puffer fish for her. I had to wait my turn so I watched. The lady was asking the staff member what was their cheapest saltwater crab or fish to feed her octopus.

"you're not putting that puffer fish in the same tank as your octopus, right?"

"I'm having second thoughts now, why?"

"They eat mollusks, and octopus is just a mollusk without a shell"

"oh. Nevermind about the fish"

Stopped at my LFS to pick up my order of clowns from ORA.

There was a lady waiting as a staff member was catching a puffer fish for her. I had to wait my turn so I watched. The lady was asking the staff member what was their cheapest saltwater crab or fish to feed her octopus.

"you're not putting that puffer fish in the same tank as your octopus, right?"

"I'm having second thoughts now, why?"

"They eat mollusks, and octopus is just a mollusk without a shell"

"oh. Nevermind about the fish"
oh my!!
I don't miss having a store

Spent a few min telling her how to gut load peppermint shrimp before she feeds them to the octopus.

She was asking about how to stabilize salinity, staff was suggesting a different salt... I explained what an ATO was, the store didn't even sell them.

My LFS sucks. They don't have any T5 bulbs. The only leds they sell are the garbage fluval lights.

They do have cheap dry goods, fish and food though. Got a pair of snowflake clowns for $80. Trochus snails for $4/ea.

The big tank is getting cloudy, the first bacterial bloom is under way.

I moved the Apex from the biocube to the big tank. Biocube still has the Inkbird controller so I will still get notified if temps get too high, I just loose pH monitoring. The biocube fan is on a smart outlet and on a schedule with manual control.

Big tank now has an evaporation fan on a schedule with manual control also. I need to get an energy bar for the Apex Classic. I want to get an ApexEL as well and move the Classic back to the biocube.

Just ordered one of these for the biocube.

I will no longer support companies that discontinue good products just to push new stuff that has less features with continuously increasing prices.

Just ordered one of these for the biocube.

I will no longer support companies that discontinue good products just to push new stuff that has less features with continuously increasing prices.
I’m happy with my Jebao pumps and NooPsyche light. If you search for the right models, budget gear has come a long way.

nice clowns.
glad to see they are "perfect" physical specimens.
I see far too many that have physical deformities: curled operculum, pinched head, wonky fins
love them, feed them

Back