Cali Kid Corals

I'm back!

The room gets lots of fresh air. The air pump for the Skimmer is also in the garage that's well ventilated.

I am sure the pH will go up once there is something photosynthetic in the display. I don't have any algae growing on the rocks or glass. The lights have been on for almost a month and I haven't had to clean the glass yet.

Biocube is doing great. The glass has a fuzzy white film that I assume is bacterial film. I haven't touched it since the tank started, I'm tempted to just leave it to see how long it takes for algae to actually grow on it.

20220313_141445.jpg

100g is progressing.

Ammonia bottomed out again. Nitrites haven't changed much but nitrates are climbing.

I turned on the Skimmer and threw a chunk of chaeto in the refugium and set the light schedule.

New fish in the biocube today.
Pajama cardinal and yellow watchman goby.

Got a hammer frag and a couple zoas for the tank today.

Local fish store had a new shipment today so I stopped by for their stupidly cheap fish selection. Got a powder blue for $70 and a Foxface for $40. They are in QT now, friendly and eating.

Also, the bottled coraline definitely works. I have a dozen spots of pink and purple on the rocks that are 2mm-4mm wide. It's been 5 weeks since I turned the lights on and threw a bottle of the stuff in the tank.

New critters in the biocube.
20220318_124435.jpg

Also added a cleaner shrimp, another zoa (purple and orange), meteor shower cyphastra and clove polyps. I'll take pics when they open up.

The only things left on my daughters wish list are a pistol shrimp, some mushrooms, a torch and a frogspawn.

My jebao mcp-120 (wifi app controlled gyre)"@ pump came today. It only took about 2 min to setup.

The pumps don't run in reverse like the maxspect but I'm OK with that.

Lcd controller is OK. Nothing special.

The app is much better, It didn't take much to build a flow schedule and it's easy to combine multiple pumps.

The 120 is way too big for my 100g but that just means I can run it at lower power. It's nice and quiet. I'm going to order another one next month.

Between fish, corals and pumps i have blown my entire reef budget for a while.

The tang and Foxface are going through tank transfer this evening. The tang is scratching on the pvc pipe in the tank but no visible spots. Full month of QT for sure.

I have only ever tried a PBT once before. It went really well until I added a red sea sailfin from another reefers tank without QT, I didn't know it had survived a velvet outbreak and was a carrier. I lost almost a dozen fish in 48 hours from that mistake.

My chaeto has been choked out by whatever this stuff is. It's individual long strands with rooting branches coming off. It grows stupid fast.

I don't know what it is but it's doing an awesome job of nutrient control.
20220319_113132.jpg

You got 1 of my gorgs? Strip some flesh off the bottom and then you can glue it to some rock if you want it to attach faster. They like strong flow and good light.

You got 1 of my gorgs? Strip some flesh off the bottom and then you can glue it to some rock if you want it to attach faster. They like strong flow and good light.
She got two of them. I moved one of them since the picture. Drilled a hole in a piece of rubble and glued the stem into the bottom of the hole. The other one is wedged in really well but if it comes loose, I'll strip it and glue it back in.

They are wonderful. I haven't had a gorg since the seahorse tank.... About 6 years ago.

She got two of them. I moved one of them since the picture. Drilled a hole in a piece of rubble and glued the stem into the bottom of the hole. The other one is wedged in really well but if it comes loose, I'll strip it and glue it back in.

They are wonderful. I haven't had a gorg since the seahorse tank.... About 6 years ago.
cool, there were 2 different kinds. The one with multiple arms is the medium length polyp one (20 years old in my possession). There was a shorter "fluffy" gorg too which could be the other.

Back