High Tide Aquatics

I'm back!

My coworkers don't listen and are ignorant. I turned the office heater up to keep bins and corals warm while the tank filled up (with every heater I had inside it). Someone shut off the heater and everything but the tank was 65 degrees this morning.

Someone noticed the float valve I was using to fill the tank wasn't at the top so they moved it up, causing water to go in the overflow which filled up the sump then flooded the office.

I lost a 3 head frag of bicolor octospawn, Toadstool, green nepthea, 10 trochus snails, 2 turbo snails and all my hermit crabs.

"it smells bad in here."
Yup, that's the smell of my animals dying.

Had to sit everyone down this morning and tell them not to touch anything without speaking to me first.

This thing ran almost flawlessly all fore season while I was gone for 2 to 3 weeks at a time. 24 hours in the office and I already regret bringing it. I would have rather sold everything.

I had a biocube in my office in Sac a few years ago. It was very successful but became a distraction. I was a dispatcher and couldn't get people to be quite and stop asking me questions about the tank.

My coworkers don't listen and are ignorant. I turned the office heater up to keep bins and corals warm while the tank filled up (with every heater I had inside it). Someone shut off the heater and everything but the tank was 65 degrees this morning.

Someone noticed the float valve I was using to fill the tank wasn't at the top so they moved it up, causing water to go in the overflow which filled up the sump then flooded the office.

I lost a 3 head frag of bicolor octospawn, Toadstool, green nepthea, 10 trochus snails, 2 turbo snails and all my hermit crabs.

"it smells bad in here."
Yup, that's the smell of my animals dying.
That sucks

Biocube is doing great. I advance the roller mat every time I feed the tank.

The patches of algae are rapidly receding.
20230126_175540.jpg

I can't have anything on the sand bed. The pistol shrimps will bury it or drag it into their cave.
They recently pushed a rock out of their tunnels and it had a single surviving polyp of vivid rainbows that was stretched about half an inch trying to find light. It's doing better now but that's really annoying.

Bought a 6x54w dimmable ati fixture last night (used) and the dimming isn't working. The bulbs pulse from the dim setting to full power about once a second.

Already talked to ati and they gave me some troubleshooting tips. Probably a bad controller.
$130.

Sometimes I feel like I just can't catch a break.

The 6 bulb ati sunpower at 100%.
I'm glad I didn't try growing much with the 8 bulb. The numbers must have been outrageous. No wonder I don't have coraline anywhere but the underside of rocks.

20230130_120242~2.jpg

So, the dimming function on my ati fixed itself overnight.
I don't really understand how. Maybe the internal battery on the controller needed a charge without the bulbs being powered? I've been scratching my head about it all morning.

I lowered it back down to about 8" off the water (to reduce light spill on my co-workers desk who insisted on sitting right next to the tank). Both channels at 35% gives me a peak par reading of 125 μmol on the bottom glass with no shading and some reflection off a vertical pane.

Tomorrow I will see what I'm getting on the top of the rocks. I may have to raise the light a little and just build a shroud for it. Lots of aluminum and a tig welder in our hanger so it won't be hard.

Back