Jestersix

Jeff's 120

Oh ok.. I used 3/4 plywood for my stand too but worried that it won't be strong enough so I added a 3.5" brace. Sleep better at night you know :D .. I normally jump on the stand to see if it's strong enough ;D ..

[quote author=Elite link=topic=4762.msg72801#msg72801 date=1231124482]
Oh ok.. I used 3/4 plywood for my stand too but worried that it won't be strong enough so I added a 3.5" brace. Sleep better at night you know :D .. I normally jump on the stand to see if it's strong enough ;D ..
[/quote]

That's hilarious... I was hanging on my stand jumping up and down on the shelf this afternoon just as my wife came out and gave me a look like "you're crazy". 8) I hear you though. Better safe than sorry. With the oak bracing going accross the front and back I feel comfortable enough to get a good nights sleep. ;)

Today I was able to line the entire interior of the Frag tank and ATO tank stand/cabinet with water/mildew proof board and caulked all the seams. I also completed the removable back panel minus access holes for plumbing and electical. Next steps are to...

1st. Drill my tank and build overflow... 48 hours dry time.
2nd. Plump both the ATO and 40g Frag Tank to Main Tanks Sump/fuge
3rd. Miscellaneous stuff like eggcrate stands, PH placement, lighting and elec install and cord management, etc.
4th. Fill both with SW/FWTO and start circulating with the larger system
5th. Build and finish the Front, sides, top and doors to attach to the stand. Will be made of Red Oak stained ebony and Poly'd to match the other tank stand.
6th. Will attach to stand by using Liquid nails liberaly and clamping from each angle.

Before I drill the 40g I will do some practice on a old tank I have that's cracked. Will post the process on this thread.

Now for some pics of what I was able to accomplish today...

3169433249_692820f4df_b.jpg

3170263776_1b5a7c5def_b.jpg

3169434097_0e66251cb1_b.jpg

3170264622_37a585a0e2_b.jpg

3169434923_2fe4e2e20b_b.jpg

3169435455_eab4d20f0f_b.jpg

In this picture you can see the access I will have to my 20g Long ATO Resevoir. There will be a cabinet door on this side for access.

3170266040_a1251c561d_b.jpg

Looking better each day, Jeff. I love the Star Wars figurine collection in the background of one of the photos. My cousin still has his Rebel Transport Ship from 1982.

[quote author=itsacrispy link=topic=4762.msg72837#msg72837 date=1231171151]
Looking better each day, Jeff. I love the Star Wars figurine collection in the background of one of the photos. My cousin still has his Rebel Transport Ship from 1982.
[/quote]

Thanks itsacrispy... Ya, my Star Wars figurine collection I have collected for many years. Not to get too off topic but a couple of pics. The poster is an original 1977 movie release poster.

3171465464_40a808ec6a_b.jpg

3170631871_13afc45ff2_b.jpg

Back on a fish tank note. I will be spending some time later today practicing drilling an old cracked tank. Once I do two holes nice and clean to where I'm comfortable I will proceed with drilling my 40g breeder and putting together the overflow area.

A quick update. It's been over a week now since I moved everything over from the 75 to the 120. Everything continues to look stable and all livestock seems healthy and active. No algae blooms or anything of the sort. Tested a few of the perameters last night.

Temp: 81-83 throughout the day. Reduced Halides from 8hrs to 6hrs in an effort to cut back on some of the heat.
pH: Range from 8.08 in the morning to 8.21 at end of Halide period, via PinPoint Monitor
Salinity: Steady at 1.0260
Nitrates: less than 5 via Salifert Test
Ammonia nd Nitrites at 0 via Salifert Test

Thats all I'm testing for right now. Will continue to monitor closely and will be ready to do a 10% Water change if anything should falter. Also will have the 40g frag tank looped into this system by Saturday of this week. Adding the 40g of fresh SW will equate to a 25% water change of sorts. :- Look forward to getting that done.

Hope to be able to drill the tank today or tomorrow. The only thing holding me up on installing my ATO is that I need an Aqualifter. Will probably order from MarineDepot today unless anyone knows where I can get one locally? If so I'd go get it today.

I have an aqualifter I'm not using, I bought it with a JBJ ATO to use as a top off pump but after 2 defective JBJ's I just got the Tunze and never really used the aqualifter again. If your in or close to the city we can work something out?

That store in Dublin, whose name escapes me at the moment, has a ton of stock. It might be worth giving them a call if they are near by.

I have an aqualifter laying around that I am no longer using. It was used for ATO as well. I am in SF though, and will not be at the BOD meeting this weekend. Let me know, it is yours if you want it.

[quote author=tapmorf link=topic=4762.msg73156#msg73156 date=1231346702]
I have an aqualifter laying around that I am no longer using. It was used for ATO as well. I am in SF though, and will not be at the BOD meeting this weekend. Let me know, it is yours if you want it.
[/quote]

Thanks Joyce... Unfortunately I am about 20 minutes south of San Jose. I don't think I'll be up in the city over the next couple weeks and I'd like to get the ATO going ASAP. Thank you.... I'll let you know if something changes.

[quote author=badbread link=topic=4762.msg73155#msg73155 date=1231346580]
I have an aqualifter I'm not using, I bought it with a JBJ ATO to use as a top off pump but after 2 defective JBJ's I just got the Tunze and never really used the aqualifter again. If your in or close to the city we can work something out?
[/quote]

You going to be at the BOD meeting on Sunday?

wicked, don't let my son see that.. he'll never want to leave LOL

[quote author=zambavi link=topic=4762.msg72849#msg72849 date=1231180604]
[quote author=itsacrispy link=topic=4762.msg72837#msg72837 date=1231171151]
[/quote]

Thanks itsacrispy... Ya, my Star Wars figurine collection I have collected for many years. Not to get too off topic but a couple of pics. The poster is an original 1977 movie release poster.

3171465464_40a808ec6a_b.jpg

3170631871_13afc45ff2_b.jpg

Back on a fish tank note. I will be spending some time later today practicing drilling an old cracked tank. Once I do two holes nice and clean to where I'm comfortable I will proceed with drilling my 40g breeder and putting together the overflow area.
[/quote]

Hello.... wanted your thoughts, opinions, examples, photos etc. I am about to drill the back of my 40g Breeder. The primary requirements are that the overflow has to be "IN" the tank and the hole has to be on the back wall. I've got a couple of ideas of how to go about it but wanted to see if there were any examples and suggestions here on BAR. The circulation through this tank will be pretty slow (but high on flow) and I want the tank to be as quiet as the display. I planned on drilling a 1 3/4" hole for a 1" bulkhead. then doing an elbow flush off the bulkhead pointed up with a 1" to 1 1/4" adaptor to a 1 1/4" VERY short Dursa. Is this a good way to go about this? I'd appreciate your thoughts... Also posted in the reef talk forum...

Looks like you have been having a ton of fun with your new tank! :D

BTW, I have a friend who has been collecting Star Wars stuff since it first came out. She wore a different SW T-shirt every day at school. She would be drooling at your collection. Haha. I'll have to send her your pictures. ;D

[quote author=Lyn link=topic=4762.msg73258#msg73258 date=1231389984]
Looks like you have been having a ton of fun with your new tank! :D
[/quote]

I Have! It's been a lot of fun so far. Much to do still... looking forward to it.

So… this morning I’m golfing the back nine at the Santa Teresa Golf Course here in San Jose. I found myself in the sand… as I often do ;) after hitting the ball out of the sand and on to the green I went to put my sand wedge up, but before doing so wiped the very dirty club head off on my golf towel before sliding into my golf bag. That’s when lightning stuck… I had an idea.
So often when I’m changing out a filter sock, pulling algae out of the refugium to feed mithrax’s, decorators, angels and tangs, or emptying the skimmate from my skimmer I find myself with wet hands and typically… nothing to dry them off on except my pants…. A golf towel… On my way home from work I dropped by target and picked a plain one up…. About $3… and hung it on a hook just inside of the door of my aquarium cabinet. Fits perfect… problem solved… You know… sometimes it’s the little things ;D

3178383877_17e23f30f6_b.jpg

So as badly as I want to go out and cut some acrylic to make the overflow for my 40g Frag tank... it is late and I should probably not piss of the neighbors with the sound of a tabel saw ripping through acrylic... few things are louder (I have to wear earplugs). :smokin: So I was not 100% happy with my live rock rubble basket. it was bulging at the sides and seemed like it was going to tip over. So made some modifications and walla... much better.

3179220396_c351e5b880_b.jpg

[quote author=Elite link=topic=4762.msg73302#msg73302 date=1231397275]
wow you let the water drops that high??

BTW, I keep a roll of paper town near or inside the stand.
[/quote]

Na... just redid the rubble cage and have not put the 45* Elbow back on... Paper towels in the stand sounds like a great idea to. I'll have a reactor and CO2 tank taking up the last bit of floor space in my stand by next week though.

Changed out the filters on my RO/DI tonight. Before making a round of SW I tested the 80 gallons of fresh I have made over the past week and was surprised to see my TDS in the 40's. Last batch I made was in the teens and planned on switching out soon. So... not sure what I'm going to do with the current 80. Thought I'd post some pics here of the Morgan Hill, CA water quality as well as the before and after TDS on the RO/DI.

Yep... that says 457 PPM
3179356114_e0c9c5deb1_b.jpg

RO/DI I recently made...
3179356732_f057544eaa_b.jpg

The new filters...
3179357144_b96d135796_b.jpg

The Old...
3178519333_c59ea04ec9_b.jpg

All put back together...
3178519747_17b18a5ae0_b.jpg

The way it should be...
3179358166_00f38aa998_b.jpg

So I'm scraping the aqualifter idea for the ATO after some feedback I received. I had one of these laying around so I'm going to try it instead.

Maxi-Jet 400 Utility Pump 106 gph 26" maximum head. Should be enough to get water there but slow enough to not speed past my ATO sensors.... I hope. :-

3180402510_65ca1a14c8_o.jpg

Back