Jestersix

Jeff's 120

Plumbed and ready for water...

3187778153_62135e6521_b.jpg

3188625520_1701a7e4a2_b.jpg

Temp, Salinity and pH steady... added a few easy corals from my other frag tank. Everything came out quickly and responded well to feeding.
3188627048_e08850bddc_b.jpg

3188623610_577e3d18e4_b.jpg

3187785561_e6856611dc_b.jpg

[quote author=itsacrispy link=topic=4762.msg73879#msg73879 date=1231723609]
wewt! That's a beaut! BTW, is that your glass cutting machine?
[/quote]

Not sure which picture your refering to. I do have a glass cutting table top band saw but I don't think it's made it's way into a picture yet. Thanks for the cudos. I'm having a lot of fun with this. Chiller and Calcium reactor get set up this week. Will do some tidying up of wires and ph placement. Then will work on finishing the frag/ATO tank cabinet over the next couple of weeks.

maybe it's just me being paranoid of safety, I think it's kind of risky to have outlets so close to source of water. Any spill of water could cause short circuit and zap you for good. But the frag tank looks nice, makes me want to set one up too..

[quote author=bluetang_2000 link=topic=4762.msg73934#msg73934 date=1231741635]
maybe it's just me being paranoid of safety, I think it's kind of risky to have outlets so close to source of water. Any spill of water could cause short circuit and zap you for good. But the frag tank looks nice, makes me want to set one up too..
[/quote]

What can I say... you have to plug stuff in on an aquarium... Most associated dangers happen when water drips down a cord, tube, pipe, etc. to an electic outlet. In this case gravity is on my side since water typically does not drip up. ;) This set up has triple redundancy on surge that will cut power off in such an instance so I believe it is about as safe as I can make it. Also, Every outlet that is not in use is covered by an outlet cover. I have a power cord above the water in my canopy, a power cord in the cabinet above the sump fuge and a powercord in the Frag/ATO tank above the top tank. In each instance I think it is in as safe a place as it can be placed. The single cord that goes to the wall for the system power source has a drip loop in it and the outlet is rated to be near water and has an "outdoor" cover on it for redundancy protection. I hear the paranoid for safety part... that's actually why I did everything the way I did. Thanks for the kudos on the frag tank!

I will probably build a shield that encases the power strip here.... not to keep water from getting to it but to avoid having saltcreep on the wires and box... avoid rusting, etc.

You know Jeff, if you just cut a piece of acrlic say 6" by the depth of the tank you could place it over that far section next to the power cords and it would have the same effect as building a encased sheild

[quote author=Roc link=topic=4762.msg73958#msg73958 date=1231778178]
You know Jeff, if you just cut a piece of acrlic say 6" by the depth of the tank you could place it over that far section next to the power cords and it would have the same effect as building a encased sheild
[/quote]

Ya thats one way to go about it. It won't be too difficult to elbow two pieces of acrylic together and put up a quick shield mount though. I would like to keep the top of the tank as open as possible for access. Plus if I place something there I'll want to move it all the time because it will be in my way and such. If for some reason placing a shield is too difficult, which I doubt, I can always throw a pieces of acrylic on that side of the tank per your comment.... so thanks.

I must respectfully disagree with phong and bluetang on the safety issue here but at the same time can understand their concern with the strips proximity to the tank. I've only been doing this for about 10 years now and just don't believe that any spilling of water in this tank is going to drip or run UP. If there was some crazy splashing here, highly unlikely, or if I was stupid enough to try and unplug/plug something with wet hands the outlet would trip at the wall the same way as if the same thing occured near an electric outlet at my bathroom or kitchen sink. I do think it is a good idea though to create some sort of shield here to help avoid rust and/or saltcreep that could build up on the cords and power box. I will probably cut something out and build/install this evening. I appreciate the concern expressed by bluetang and phong though because It's highlighted a need here to protect that box more than I have done... so thanks...

I wasn't exactly worry about the water dripping/splashing into the plugs. I worry the water vaporization and saltwater creep since that thing is pretty close to the water surface. I put electrical stuff as far away from the water (fresh or salt) as possible. ;D

[quote author=Elite link=topic=4762.msg73974#msg73974 date=1231781643]
I wasn't exactly worry about the water dripping/splashing into the plugs. I worry the water vaporization and saltwater creep since that thing is pretty close to the water surface. I put electrical stuff as far away from the water (fresh or salt) as possible. ;D
[/quote]

I agree with you 100%... the water vaporization and saltwater creep is the primary concern.

A removable shield that fully encases this box and is vented out the back side will get me where I need to be on this I think. I do try to put my power bars in safe locations but at the same time I am trying to keep everything contained within the cabinets for aesthetics... so it's a balance. As a rule I usually make sure that I have un-used plugs covered and I always put a dab of silicon over any screws or such on the powerstrip that could potentiall rust. Splash shields, drip loops and surge protection outlets help add to the safety. I put the back and side shield on my sump/fuge for the same "avoid creep" reasons and I can already tell how much I needed that. I will follow the same concept to protect this powerstrip from potential creep and evaporation... Thanks! ;)

Where to go in the San Jose area to fill up a CO2 tank? Don't care to switch it out. Would like it filled instead. I've heard that Carbonic Services in Santa Clara can do this as well as ARC Gas in San Jose. Anyone have any experience with either or would recommend someplace else? Thanks!

Korallin Calcium Reactor 3002 came in today with #10 tank and dual regulator. Hope to get the tank filled tomorrow and all hooked up to the system this week. Would appreciate any advice on location to fill tank per previous post. Thanks!

There is an Air and Gas shop near HP Pavilion. I'm sure they can help you out. I don't know how their service though. Never done it before.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=4762.msg74072#msg74072 date=1231808127]
There is an Air and Gas shop near HP Pavilion. I'm sure they can help you out. I don't know how their service though. Never done it before.
[/quote]

Is "Air and Gas Shop" their name?

Damn I can't remember the name.. I haven't take the train for almost 8 months now. I think it's this place.. 140 S Montgomery St,.. Can't read the name from google map..

I'd really like to see how you make the shield. As I was looking at my sump w/ a flashlight last night, I was surprised to see what I thought at first to be very light wisps of smoke. It turned out to be a very fine mist caused by the water splashing from the drainage pipe. That mist could give me problems over time with my power bar too.

[quote author=Roc link=topic=4762.msg74155#msg74155 date=1231861918]
SFBAAPS has a link page for filling CO2 tanks

http://www.sfbaaps.org/ref.html
[/quote]

Great link... thanks!

Back