Reef nutrition

Julius' CDA 150 Build

Good to know. I will steer away from siporax then.

I like to get a hanna checker for phosphate, but unsure which of the 3 is right: unltra low, low or high?

I do not have sps. My goal is to confirm if there is excessive nutrient. Thus thought high range checker will be best in my case? But read people dont recommend it (unsure why).

I think they can out with a new ulr phosphate meter recently so you don't need to convert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree, you want the ultra-low checker since that is the range we are trying to achieve in our reef tanks.

I didn’t realize they came out with a new version that doesn’t require conversion, that’s an improvement. I track my values in Apex Fusion and it converts it for me, so I’m not going to upgrade though.

I got a tiny blenny in QT. Hope this little guy will stir it for me in a few weeks.

Yeah I am adding 80ml twice a day into 150g DT + 30g sump. Alk was 8.6 yesterday.

Wonder how I can reduce precipitation?

By the way noticed my DIY cal solution becomes cloudy in the bottle after a week. It was clear first made. Not sure why and if it is still effective.

I got a tiny blenny in QT. Hope this little guy will stir it for me in a few weeks.

Yeah I am adding 80ml twice a day into 150g DT + 30g sump. Alk was 8.6 yesterday.

Wonder how I can reduce precipitation?

By the way noticed my DIY cal solution becomes cloudy in the bottle after a week. It was clear first made. Not sure why and if it is still effective.
80 ml at a shot twice a day? That can't be right. I have double the volume , WAY more stony corals, and add not quite 80 ml per day. Are you dosing by hand? What are you using to mix your two part and how much powder per gal?

I manually dose alk first in ine quick bottoms up fasion into DT.

Once the cloudiness is gone, I dump cal in DT.

Possible a good amount precipitate at the sand bed. I noticed clumps of hard sand all over the sand bed.

I will dose smaller amount and move one to the sump area.

Need to calibrate apex ph pribe for ca reactor. Will fluid by Milwaukee (cheaper) work just as well as Neptune’s?

I am yet to set up my apex controller. It should be able to turn on/off solanoid based on apex probe ph eadings?

I manually dose alk first in ine quick bottoms up fasion into DT.

Once the cloudiness is gone, I dump cal in DT.

Possible a good amount precipitate at the sand bed. I noticed clumps of hard sand all over the sand bed.

I will dose smaller amount and move one to the sump area.
Why have you decided on that amount. And what product are you using? Seems WAY too much all at once. What does you alk test at before and one hour after?

I am setting up Bubble Magnus doser BM-T01. Each of the 3 metal rods rotate when on, but no suction of fluid at all. It appears that the rollers assembly inside the pumps (all 3) do not spin with the metal rods rotation.

I did open all of them up, put petroleum gel on the rollers. When the issue was seen, I reopen and use paper towels to clean the petroleum gel off. No luck.

Should I put gel on the tubing surface? These are brand new tubings. What are the tricks to make this thing work? Seems very tedious effort to do these trials and errors.

On a different note - setting up PM1 and breakout box on Apex. Need to buy some float sensors (to monitor water levels in sump, DT, and ATO tank). Do you recommend vertical or horizontal sensors? Does back or white work better to show deposits? And how do you mount in a "clean" way the float sensors? If you have a recommendation of brand/sources online, let me know.

Thanks,
Julius

Last edited:
Are you sure you connected the left side of the pump head to the intake tube and the right side to the out put? Did you prime the lines? Manually run each pump once tubing is connected?

Last edited:
As Mike mentioned, make sure that the left tube pulls from your dosing container and the right tube goes to your tank/sump. Then manually prime the lines until you see liquid come out of the output side. Afterwards, program in your BM-T01 to spread the doses of each of the 3 elements out (I dosed alk spread 24x/day, ca 12x a day, and mg 12x a day via the BM-T01 when I had it up and running; alk and mg are usually spread 5 minutes apart). 80mL isn't unusual if your tank is eating up 1+ dKH/day, but that's quite a bit so make sure that you're measuring correctly.

I did press and hold the button so the pump's metal shaft spins. Tubing on the left side of pump is submerged in RODI.

There is absolutely no movement of water in the tubing (e.g. the where air and water meets inside the tubing, that pocket air does not move at all as the pump starts spinning).

I think the 3 rollers inside each pump is not moving at all with the spinning metal shaft.

I greased the surface of the rollers, but did not grease the holder of rollers where it touch the pump covers. Will try again tonite and update.

Back