High Tide Aquatics

[LOCATION and DATE CHANGE] 3/20 (Sun) Members Only Frag Swap at Cali Kid Corals in Concord

Will you attend the 3/19 Members Frag Swap?

• Total voters
Thanks to all the club board and volunteers for organizing the swap!! Such generosity and very open friendly vibes at the event! My wife had a great time and we both learned alot from chatting with the members. I'll post pics of the corals we took home in a few days and give a shout out to all the members names of the cups. Wife loved all the bonus brittle stars since we didn't have any yet think she got around 10 and added then to the sump lol. As soon as they crawled out during the dip she scooped then up with a fork rinsed them in some fresh water..Kinda surprised they made the dipping but they weren't in that long..Thanks again to all that showed up in great spirits!!!
Paul

Great event as usual thanks to all the planners, volunteers, CaliKid Corals, and people! Always nice to put face to names and talk shop in person. Here are the pictures I took that day. Thank you guys for being my test photo subjects :) (I rarely shoot people, typically a landscape photo hobbyist)

DSCF3131.jpg

DSCF3100.jpg

DSCF3115.jpg
DSCF3110.jpg

DSCF3106.jpg

DSCF3112.jpg

DSCF3117.jpg

DSCF3124.jpg

DSCF3126.jpg

DSCF3174.jpg

Thanks to all the club board and volunteers for organizing the swap!! Such generosity and very open friendly vibes at the event! My wife had a great time and we both learned alot from chatting with the members. I'll post pics of the corals we took home in a few days and give a shout out to all the members names of the cups. Wife loved all the bonus brittle stars since we didn't have any yet think she got around 10 and added then to the sump lol. As soon as they crawled out during the dip she scooped then up with a fork rinsed them in some fresh water..Kinda surprised they made the dipping but they weren't in that long..Thanks again to all that showed up in great spirits!!!
Paul
Great to hear! I have many more of those mini-brittles if you‘d like more sometime.

Thank you all! The swap was awesome. The pics are great.
And I met a lot of great and friendly people. Wish I had time to meet everyone. Next time.
Gerry

Here are a few of the frags I picked out:

Attachments

• PXL_20220321_212048721.jpg
    PXL_20220321_212048721.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 122
  • PXL_20220321_210925084.jpg
    PXL_20220321_210925084.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 120
  • PXL_20220321_210905971.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220321_210905971.MP.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 130
  • PXL_20220321_210801505.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220321_210801505.MP.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 123
  • PXL_20220321_210845266.jpg
    PXL_20220321_210845266.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 118
  • PXL_20220321_210740146.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220321_210740146.MP.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 112
So I just realized I forgot to take my Reef Nutrition copepods home after I purchased them @ CaliKid.
Any change someone will be swinging by the South Bay from that area and wants to trade my copepods for a nice beer? Otherwise I might give them away to a supporting member.

How did you get that past the coral checker?
I think @Srt4eric was still Recovering from his close call with electrocution.
@Srt4eric Did you bring the space invader pectinia that I was able to select? If so, did you grow it from a frag or did you frag it from a big colony? I have an awesome pectinia colony (not brightly colored but I love it ) that I would feel so bad if the whole thing were to die in my tank and I had never put Frags of it anywhere else, but I am so afraid to harm it.

Sweet story of classroom reefing: in my first class (marine science elective), students did their Monday maintenance and then were doing a group lab activity about ocean debris and plastics that required more reading than usual. I had dipped the frags before school because I didn’t want students around insecticide. I asked a 7th grade newcomer to the US girl who cannot really read and rarely says a word to help me. I used a pipe cleaner to walk her through using a scalpel to remove tissue around the bottom of two gorgonians and she did that and mounted them plus a sinularia onto skeletons/disc. She was super excited.
After school she appeared with her mother and two siblings at the classroom plus Her dad on FaceTime. She was showing the QT to the family so I got out the tools she had used and she explained to them what she did and how she did it. Then she took them on a little tour and showed all of the jobs she has done so far for tank care and how to use a microscope. It was so cute and they were so impressed with her!
Thanks to @Apon and @Vincerama2 for bringing those frags! Who knew, right?

Sweet story of classroom reefing: in my first class (marine science elective), students did their Monday maintenance and then were doing a group lab activity about ocean debris and plastics that required more reading than usual. I had dipped the frags before school because I didn’t want students around insecticide. I asked a 7th grade newcomer to the US girl who cannot really read and rarely says a word to help me. I used a pipe cleaner to walk her through using a scalpel to remove tissue around the bottom of two gorgonians and she did that and mounted them plus a sinularia onto skeletons/disc. She was super excited.
After school she appeared with her mother and two siblings at the classroom plus Her dad on FaceTime. She was showing the QT to the family so I got out the tools she had used and she explained to them what she did and how she did it. Then she took them on a little tour and showed all of the jobs she has done so far for tank care and how to use a microscope. It was so cute and they were so impressed with her!
Thanks to @Apon and @Vincerama2 for bringing those frags! Who knew, right?
I know you know this already, and know it better than most, but teachers like you (and activities like what you've done) are a huge part of the reason I became a scientist. I had so many rote memorization, "Science is 'Do A then B happens'," science classes that were forgettable, but I had a couple that really stuck out and reshaped my life.

Whatever path she takes in life, I'm sure she will remember that for a long, long time. I know I remember all the teachers that did.

Back