Neptune Aquatics

Looking for Someone to Overhaul BAR Website

Wlachnit

Past President
We are way overdue for an overhaul of our website. Over the last couple of years, we have been getting along with the help from @ashburn2k , @Ashalye , @Ranjib Dey , and others, which has been appreciated.

From my understanding, this will require quite a bit of effort. So, we are going to be setting some funds aside in order to accomplish this. If possible, our preference would be to see if anyone in BAR can lead the efforts in overhauling our site and is interested in doing so. If not, referrals would also be great.

I know the owner of Coralicious Frags, Alexander Whedbee, does site design. I don't know if he does forums or just store fronts.

He built WWC's website.

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about forum software but the current software we use is significantly more difficult to work woth than the prior version, bbcode?, and I believe the only reason we have it is because the fancy integration with dbtc chains that dont seem to be a screaming part of the site currently. So maybe the BOD needs to figure out if theyre really that attached to this software or not. Then the qualifications of said webmaster maybe doesnt need to be so stringent

What exactly do you guy's need help with. What are the functionalities that are needed?

A good question.
The BOD is trying to create a list of features, fixes, and so on.
But a problem is, we could use expert help on that as well.

Ideally, we need a club member who is an expert to LEAD this effort.
Not necessarily to do the work!! We can pay contractors and so on, and others can help.
(The website is critical to BAR, so expenses are justified)
We need someone that has a strong technical understanding of the effort of various inner workings,
and what is reasonable and what is not.
For example:
The DBTC database integration is difficult, and we want to improve it, but are we doing that all wrong?
Do we want to stick with xenForo?
Maybe that is you??

If not a club member, is there a recommendation on a professional we could turn to?
Google search for website services is not the best plan. :)

bumping this back up. We are still in need of someone with Xenforo experience to help solve some ongoing issues with our website. We have a budget to pay a contractor to perform the work. Refer to rygh's post above. @ashburn2k and @rygh will lead this effort since they are familiar with the design changes we want to tackle.

If you or you know anyone that understands this platform, please let us know. Thanks!

Reactions: JVU
If we still have no luck, I might just have to take some time off at my other job and really look into this. Again not promising anything yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bumping this back up. We are still in need of someone with Xenforo experience to help solve some ongoing issues with our website. We have a budget to pay a contractor to perform the work. Refer to rygh's post above. @ashburn2k and @rygh will lead this effort since they are familiar with the design changes we want to tackle.

If you or you know anyone that understands this platform, please let us know. Thanks!

It might help if there was a list of feature requests & gripes. Is it just DBTC? That’s programmed outside zenforo as I recall. Are we willing to start over with that, or does all the data have to be migrated?

I know xenforo and might be able to pitch in on a few things. I’d probably vote to migrate things to another platform, but realize that’s a serious and expensive undertaking. It looks like xenforo hasn’t really been updated since 2017 when they added emoji support. [edit: looks like we haven’t upgraded to the new version because emojis don’t seem to post!]

Reactions: JVU
It might help if there was a list of feature requests & gripes. Is it just DBTC? That’s programmed outside zenforo as I recall. Are we willing to start over with that, or does all the data have to be migrated?

I know xenforo and might be able to pitch in on a few things. I’d probably vote to migrate things to another platform, but realize that’s a serious and expensive undertaking. It looks like xenforo hasn’t really been updated since 2017 when they added emoji support. [edit: looks like we haven’t upgraded to the new version because emojis don’t seem to post!]
Sent you a PM.

BAR need to represent Silicon Valley and have the best website! We may just have to bite the bullet at some point and spend a hunk of change on the website.

if you send me a list of what type of changes you need done or what you are looking for i can see if my roomate can do them. He does this for a living.

BAR need to represent Silicon Valley and have the best website! We may just have to bite the bullet at some point and spend a hunk of change on the website.
As above, we are willing to pay.
We do not have enough to rebuild from scratch, but enough for some reasonable consulting.

I don't think we need to rebuild one from scratch - I suspect there's free software for handling forums and content...

I can look into this if you send me requirements as well.

Where do we host // what's the budget per month?

Back