Reef nutrition

Michael's 300 In Vegas

Current view from my desk. Debating on a shade for the 360x's vs a reflector

IMG_20240722_183221.jpg

Got a shipment from Biota and Salty Bottom Reef Co. Biota has awesome fish and SBRC has great inverts.

I could not sit at your desk with that light bleed!
I say a shade that you get lower and raise at your convenience
But that’s just me...from way over here
;)
Trading some plants for a printed shade tomorrow. I'll see how I like that and maybe try the 55 degree reflector from Kessil too since they aren't too pricey.

Trading some plants for a printed shade tomorrow. I'll see how I like that and maybe try the 55 degree reflector from Kessil too since they aren't too pricey.
They can custom build whatever you want too. When we were there, we saw some custom A360XE's with fixed reflectors of different angles. Other option is getting the barn door shades they have as well.

Definitely reflectors - already shared my thoughts but the pic is further evidence. Look at all that wasted light spilling out onto the wall with the shade! That's all PAR that would be focused into the tank instead w/ a reflector, allowing you to run less wattage for a given PAR level.

THIS is what people always seem to want behavior wise, but never achieve it (usually just fighting anthias). Maybe these Bar Gobies really are the dither fish we were missing!

You have anthias that fight? I’ve had very good success with lyretail. The more the better

Yeah I've had Bartletts before just kinda bully each other until one or two were left. They harassed most things as of they were their harem (fairy wrasses, flasher wrasses, etc. that were in the upper column). Same with Chromis. But maybe having lots of action up there like this is the secret to keep them busy.

Yeah I've had Bartletts before just kinda bully each other until one or two were left. They harassed most things as of they were their harem (fairy wrasses, flasher wrasses, etc. that were in the upper column). Same with Chromis. But maybe having lots of action up there like this is the secret to keep them busy.
I’ve only had long term success with chromis when a large group of lyretail anthias were also in the tank. Had 10 anthias and all lived multiple years, had 9 chromis that did well long term with them. I’ve never had a large group of chromis not shrink in any other tank

Last edited:
I’ve I my had long term success with chromis when a large group of lyretail anthias were also in the tank. Had 10 anthias and all lived multiple years, had 9 chromis that did well long term with them. I’ve never had a large group of chromis not shrink in any other tank
I've found when you keep multiple schools of fish, all the schools do better. I can only find that success in larger tanks :(

New video today, the Yellow Tang from Biota has really colored up nicely. The Quoyi parrotfish is a beautiful fish and has begin to eat pellets and frozen aggressively and it swims around scraping their beak on rocks. The Chromis eat like pigs so I had to open up the auto feeder door a little more so some pellets hit mid tank.

Back