Neptune Aquatics

Mike's Last Build

Maybe on a practice piece first... :D
But in all seriousness I think the time frame for getting a stand welded, assuming I actually figured out the right amperage, wire speed, whatever (and yeah I'm just throwing those terms out there) and then cleaning up all the metal and priming it and painting it with a good paint will probably be longer than if I built it out of wood whether I use plywood, or 2x material. The aluminum idea is still intriguing though, I like Eric's stand and my mind is running through ideas (I've made at least 5 different build models each with their own price list) but as "erector set fun" as it seems there really is some thought needed in imagining the sequencing of how the pieces go together, a few times I thought of something but then realized that it simply won't work that way or that the structural connector really wasn't doing anything.

Hmm, watch a welding video on the internet, do your first welds, then put a almost a ton weight on it.
What could go wrong?
:)

Hmm, watch a welding video on the internet, do your first welds, then put a almost a ton weight on it.
What could go wrong?
:)
Not only a ton of weight but a ton of water. If it fails it’s going to be an even bigger mess. I don’t want to discourage you though Mike, welding mild steel is really easy and the raw materials are quite cheap. If you wanted it in stainless then I’d tell you to rethink things. Cutting and prepping the material right will set you up for success. There is some good to having some experience though. Things like anticipating how the metal will pull or bend as it’s being welded isn’t something you can really read about.

Hey you don't have to tell me, I have no desire to weld a stand... well ok I do have a desire, I just don't have the gumption to it now, it's everyone else who's trying to goad me into doing it :D

Oh hey page 2 already! Damn gotta post some new pictures I guess.

Ok, so I mentioned something about a sink for the room.

Well here's the start of it, 1/2" plywood I had sitting around, look it's hovering magically! Ignore the impact driver... it's not part of the illusion, I swear!!!
w8fyBl4.jpg

Ok, not so magically a few screws were holding it down at one end, so I don't think that's going to hold very well, plus if you notice the level there's a little piece of wood under one end... i.e. that makes the level level but the plywood is not, so plan b, a 3/4" plywood skirt was built around the base, with one end attached to the wall, both ends are going to be tied together with glue and biscuits, was thinking of doing a double rabbet to give some good surface area to glue off of, but just didn't have it in me to do it, it's just dry fit now because I'm going to paint the area first so wanted it removable (still need to pick paint colors). Skirt was fit on before I cut the hole in the top just because I figure it'd make it a bit easier and it'd be stiffer (it was... a LOT).
kPgxvQg.jpg

And then the sink I picked out to see if it fits in the hole (it does),got it at Ikea for relatively cheap ($80)... we'll see how stainless the stainless steel really is, but I liked the the design was, a relatively small basin, and then a drip pan part that thinks can ... drip. Still don't know what I'm going to do for a top coating, I was thinking going simple like FRP on the top just so I don't need to do too much like tile. Considered formica too but couldn't find small sheets that would fit this project, and while FRP isn't sold in small sizes it's relatively easy to work with and much MUCH cheaper than even the ugliest formica colors (prettier looking ones cost more too... bleh). Either way it should be light weight enough to hold, there's a few 3.5" screws into the blocks that the plywood is attached to, so I'm not too concerned about that, and if it becomes an issue I can always toss in a leg on the corner when everything is done.
b2M58oZ.jpg

So yeah choosing a sink was a bit of a chore, I was just going to reuse the old washing machine basin, it's one of those plastic ones you can pick up at any big box, but it's 2' x 2' and I really wanted to minimize the amount of space behind the tank, enough space to do stuff and move around with relative ease, but not so much that it becomes a party hangout, and a 2' x 2' square kind of took up more room that I wanted, it would be acceptable IMO but I wanted to reduce it, next was a concrete wash basin I had in the backyard growing weeds in, it was a bit smaller 20" x 24" I really like the idea of using but integrating a faucet wasn't clicking with me. This one was smaller than that, has the drip pan and with the counter top I can easily put in a faucet from the top instead of a wall mount faucet, even with the counter and skirt it clocks in at 21" x 20" mostly because the drip pan part is on the ledge.

Also the 64 dollar question about why I didn't just build a cabinet to the floor. 1) I didn't have any scrap large enough, I'd have to but ends of plywood together (which would be plenty strong for this application), 2) I really didn't want to build a door for the thing and 3) I literally thought of this last night, and it seemed the easiest solution as it leaves the the most access for everything underneath including those two pvc pipes near the bottom. I very quickly got over the fact that you'll be able to see the plumbing, and replaced it with the idea that if I wanted I have room under the sink to push something through (or whatever)

Ok that's all for now. Depending upon if anything is going on this weekend, I might force myself to make a paint decision tomorrow and just live with it.

I’m not sure how much the frp is but you can get stone (quartz, granite, marble...) done fairly cheap (a few hundred $). That’s a pretty small area so it’s likely they would have something in their scrap pile so you’re mostly paying for the fabrication.

The floating counter could use some welded steel support; then you wouldn’t need a leg.

I built a table that attached to the cabinets but I only wanted it to have one leg so I welded this up to support it.
0B87FA1C-0E59-4BCA-9934-0321CC8FEC44.jpeg

Here’s what it looked like completed.
D3AAAEA1-AFAD-41E2-8D81-20DAE275F556.jpeg
7C87D1F7-1CCB-4162-840B-5280E27387D6.jpeg

Yeah my wife asked what I was going to do with the sink area, she pointed to our counters in the kitchen and I just said no... then she said "but they probably have scrap pieces, I said I'm sure they do but I do not have the tools to cut a hole for a sink, nor the diamond wheels to grind the edges down, and FRP is like $30 for a sheet, this in a "me putting fish poop into it" area, so the small cost that it would be (less than 4 square feet, sure) doesn't really justify the cost... in fact if I did do that I'd like the entire platform area in the fishroom covered, so that adds another 5 or so linear feet. That said the edges are 2" maybe 3 inches wide, I would be afraid any solid surface would crack.

As for supporting the sink, I did think about those under counter steel L brackets, but the sink basin would be in the way, I do have some angle iron floating around maybe 1.5 x 1.5" I could weld that! :D But I think the plywood is plenty strong, and when it's all glued together it'll lock it in as one solid piece... or if not I can toss a 2x2 on that outside corner on the inside of the skirt and call it a day... or a leg.

Ok, so I mentioned something about a sink for the room.

Well here's the start of it, 1/2" plywood I had sitting around, look it's hovering magically! Ignore the impact driver... it's not part of the illusion, I swear!!!
w8fyBl4.jpg

Ok, not so magically a few screws were holding it down at one end, so I don't think that's going to hold very well, plus if you notice the level there's a little piece of wood under one end... i.e. that makes the level level but the plywood is not, so plan b, a 3/4" plywood skirt was built around the base, with one end attached to the wall, both ends are going to be tied together with glue and biscuits, was thinking of doing a double rabbet to give some good surface area to glue off of, but just didn't have it in me to do it, it's just dry fit now because I'm going to paint the area first so wanted it removable (still need to pick paint colors). Skirt was fit on before I cut the hole in the top just because I figure it'd make it a bit easier and it'd be stiffer (it was... a LOT).
kPgxvQg.jpg

And then the sink I picked out to see if it fits in the hole (it does),got it at Ikea for relatively cheap ($80)... we'll see how stainless the stainless steel really is, but I liked the the design was, a relatively small basin, and then a drip pan part that thinks can ... drip. Still don't know what I'm going to do for a top coating, I was thinking going simple like FRP on the top just so I don't need to do too much like tile. Considered formica too but couldn't find small sheets that would fit this project, and while FRP isn't sold in small sizes it's relatively easy to work with and much MUCH cheaper than even the ugliest formica colors (prettier looking ones cost more too... bleh). Either way it should be light weight enough to hold, there's a few 3.5" screws into the blocks that the plywood is attached to, so I'm not too concerned about that, and if it becomes an issue I can always toss in a leg on the corner when everything is done.
b2M58oZ.jpg

So yeah choosing a sink was a bit of a chore, I was just going to reuse the old washing machine basin, it's one of those plastic ones you can pick up at any big box, but it's 2' x 2' and I really wanted to minimize the amount of space behind the tank, enough space to do stuff and move around with relative ease, but not so much that it becomes a party hangout, and a 2' x 2' square kind of took up more room that I wanted, it would be acceptable IMO but I wanted to reduce it, next was a concrete wash basin I had in the backyard growing weeds in, it was a bit smaller 20" x 24" I really like the idea of using but integrating a faucet wasn't clicking with me. This one was smaller than that, has the drip pan and with the counter top I can easily put in a faucet from the top instead of a wall mount faucet, even with the counter and skirt it clocks in at 21" x 20" mostly because the drip pan part is on the ledge.

Also the 64 dollar question about why I didn't just build a cabinet to the floor. 1) I didn't have any scrap large enough, I'd have to but ends of plywood together (which would be plenty strong for this application), 2) I really didn't want to build a door for the thing and 3) I literally thought of this last night, and it seemed the easiest solution as it leaves the the most access for everything underneath including those two pvc pipes near the bottom. I very quickly got over the fact that you'll be able to see the plumbing, and replaced it with the idea that if I wanted I have room under the sink to push something through (or whatever)

Ok that's all for now. Depending upon if anything is going on this weekend, I might force myself to make a paint decision tomorrow and just live with it.

At my brother’s place, there was some remodeling finished and a nice piece of counter top left; I can snap an image or two and measure it. It would need to be cut for the sink to fit in there; skilsaw and proper blade for it...

I think is a cement based countertop; guys finished a remodel and left a small but usable section and the matching backsplash. A blade for concrete will cut it fine fot top mount sink; for undermount I wouldn’t go for it as other tools are required. I’ll go there early tomorrow and measure and snap a pic or two.

Metallic epoxy countertop!
Best on concrete, but should work fine directly on the wood.
Maybe a nice dark bronze to offset the stainless sink?

When you lean on the counter, you will wish you had a simple leg there.

Countertop piece ~33w x 26 The depth can be cut, one piece of backsplash.
I'll look for another piece of backsplash; there's a shorter piece of countertop so I'm guessing the other backsplash piece's gotta be somewhere in there...

20180810_082113.jpg

Cutting to size with a concrete blade is not a worry, I would worry about cutting out the sink insert with a blade, there's no easy way to do that due to the slope of the blade you're not going to get a cut to where you want, you either overcut it or under cut and hope you can snap it off

I have a skillsaw with concrete blade, grinder with concrete blade; Mark has some tools too. Maybe we are just looking for an excuse to take on that little project?
All I’d need is a template of the sink and I think I can cut the countertop...

Back