High Tide Aquatics

Mindstream monitor seems to be available

Seems like they had plenty of stock available for every "famous" reefer out there, whether blogs, vlogs and what not as they all have them running on tanks. :D

So lesson learned, become a famous reefer and you'll get tons of a stuff either free or at the very least put to the front of the line to experience it, whether it's a Mindstream, or Trident :D
So get a marine biology degree at SFSU, write some papers.
Become active in the big reef blogs.
Spend a ton of time marketing yourself.
Become a key "influencer"
Then you can get a free Trident also.

And in doing so, it becomes no longer a fun hobby.
:(

Not sure you need a degree
Simply need to market yourself (although the earlier adopters hardly had to do it, since not many were)
I doubt the hobby isn't "fun" for these people though.

Simply need to market yourself (although the earlier adopters hardly had to do it, since not many were)

Sounds like you have a plan then, but I think you may find it harder than it looks to become a famous influencer in reefing.

It’s not unusual for a company to get the first pre-production or early-production products out into the hands of people who can and will give high-profile reviews and endorsements. It is a good business decision, I don’t see the point in hounding them for it, unless you would rather have them make bad business decisions with a new product launch and fail.

Oh I'm not saying it would be easy, I mean those early "influencers" like Melev's Reef or Jake Adams at Reefbuilders already have their fan bases back when there were few out there. And now anyone new with a reef channel is almost background noise at this point. But again you occasionally see people with larger than life builds who get products from various manufacturers simply because they have over X number of subscribers or what not.

I do remember Rich Ross saying it was a bit of a chore at times, and talking about neglecting his personal hobby tank.

So more like:
Fun hobby ... becomes ... Fairly enjoyable job

Not that having an enjoyable job is a bad thing!

Well Rich also turned his hobby into a job, aka Steinhart that may have had something to do with it too. :)

"Hey honey you going to clean the glass on the tank it looks ugly"
"Do you know how much glass I cleaned today already!? 20 feet high by 60 feet wide!"

(I doubt that conversation every takes place really :D)

Well today I also canceled my order. To their credit they immediately canceled my order and refunded.
Reason I canceled is that I got a responce from them that, they will not be able to meet the 6 to 8 weeks that was originally promised when I placed the order and they did not want to give me a new lead time which I think is not reasonable.
With all the fiasco of trident at least Neptune did not take payments before they knew shipment is guaranteed.
I will go back to my original plan of getting a GHL ion director. I have GHL p4 and super happy with the performance and product quality. Ion director looks very attractive, no3 and K+ measurment and the stand alone operation is cherry on top which means I can also take it between my 2 systems.
This way my systems will run on KH guardian for kh and ion director for the rest..
I really hope mindstream pull through and succeed, I done startup in the past and know all the pains that comes with it so if they deliever major kudos to them.

I might still get one if the product became more available in the market..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yeah, there's really no reason for anyone to "pre-order" these days unless you have that "absolutely must have it before anyone else" gene in your body. People have been keeping reef tanks fairly successfully for years before any of these monitors/controllers existed, they can probably keep them going a few more months :D

Yeah, there's really no reason for anyone to "pre-order" these days unless you have that "absolutely must have it before anyone else" gene in your body. People have been keeping reef tanks fairly successfully for years before any of these monitors/controllers existed, they can probably keep them going a few more months :D
I did not mind the long lead time I have a problem with transparency. There is no way this delay is due to production. Any vendor claim months lead time due to production is misleading customer..period.
So I hope they fix whatever they facing right now. Market needs competition...

Mindstream finally stopped taking new orders. Have there been any “professional” product reviews yet? I don’t think they have delivered any (fully functional) units yet.

Mindstream finally stopped taking new orders. Have there been any “professional” product reviews yet? I don’t think they have delivered any (fully functional) units yet.
They did, there are multiple reviews. I also have a friend of mine who hot his unit, he is happy with it. It's still unknown how good they will manage disks, they shipped extra disk with the unit for now which I think to reduce the pressure on the forward logistica of shipping disk replacements as they deal with the production issues they are facing...
I kind off did not want to wait any more, once ion director is out am getting one:))
Maybe will get a mindstream in a year or so when its commoditized..

Sounds like the company that makes Mindstream recently went out of business and laid off everyone according to some R2R threads :(

if anyone still has a pre-order you may want to try to get your money back (unlikely) or reverse the charges.

I hope someone else buys the intellectual property and produces something.

Yikes. Look like they laid off and closed shop..at least thats what forums are saying.
I canceled my order while back and got my refund.

Is it still wrong to refer to it as vaporware? :D :D :D Although they apparently gave out versions to various youtubers and other "popular reefers" so there was something there, just couldn't pay the bills I guess.

(no offense to anyone who may have gotten screwed out of their money)

Sounds like the company that makes Mindstream recently went out of business and laid off everyone according to some R2R threads :(

if anyone still has a pre-order you may want to try to get your money back (unlikely) or reverse the charges.

I hope someone else buys the intellectual property and produces something.
I agree. Hopefully the technology can still be used by another company to bring it to fruition.

Reading through the R2R thread on this, it seems the largest issue there was making the discs for the thing. Originally they were handmade but then they were building some robotic assembly platform and simply ran out of money, and couldn't get any more people to fund the company.

A big issue : If your sales of units grows linearly, your sales of disks grow exponentially.
Even if sales of units is flat, disks go up linearly.
Because disk sales are the sum of all units sold, now and in the past.

And since they were possibly losing money on disks, and having trouble making them, it was a bad deal.

A big issue : If your sales of units grows linearly, your sales of disks grow exponentially.
Even if sales of units is flat, disks go up linearly.
Because disk sales are the sum of all units sold, now and in the past.

And since they were possibly losing money on disks, and having trouble making them, it was a bad deal.
Do you think they were losing money on the discs? I thought $35/disc was so much. I guess maybe if they were doing it by hand.

Do you think they were losing money on the discs? I thought $35/disc was so much. I guess maybe if they were doing it by hand.
No data personally. Rumors on reef2reef mostly. Lots of rumors on production problems. Some rumors on losing money on disks.
Doing it by hand can actually be pretty cheap. Not in this country of course.
But low cost labor + foreign country + language issues + infrastructure issues = huge quality control problems. (Done that a bit)

Back