High Tide Aquatics

NanoCrazed's Lazy Tank(s) Journal

So hot right now that despite all my chillers are working. I usually aim to keep my tanks between 78-80 best my chillers can do is 81-82.

Oops... one just climbed to 83F as I type

AquaJapan 85
=====

Ugh. Lost my gem tang some time between 3:30 AM and 8AM.

Saw it as I went to bed and after all morning looking for it. I thought it jumped the tank but after futile searches, I think I found it behind some rocks.

Was healthy and eating (but dumb as a rock). So, no idea why.

5" too... :/

Now I am wondering if my rather dumb gem might have scared itself to death, literally. no real way for it to get in between the rocks the way it did without it putting itself there. Might have exhausted itself trying to get out... hmmm...

And to qualify dumb... the fish always swims past the food before realizing it and turning back... so I always have to do more targeted feeding to make sure it has enough to eat.

WB20
=====

Swapped in a new (to me) chiller in place of the one that was installed to get a handle on my heating issues in my WB20. Good news, I think the swap will solve my problem... better news, I know it will since I found out afterwards that the original chiller has a broken fan (D'oh), and given location with extra sun in the late afternoon, that doesn't help. Less great news... need to see if I can find a replacement fan for the other unit... otherwise, I have a huge doorstop.

Cadlights 45
====

Turned this tank from a full wild BTA tank to a shared tank with my zoa collection after minimizing the pod population. But looks like the pods are back with a vendetta. in the last 48 hours, they've decimated my pulsing xenia frag... and after I removed what was left to see is if might regenerate froma bit of remaining issue... I woke up this morning to a missing high end zoa (mind trick) I accidentally fragged and tehn mounted when I was pull off some overgrown macroalgae. The pods were working it over. ugh

With so many tanks, much props for managing multiple tanks. How many of those tanks are display tanks? Must be challenging to maintain those.
defined "display".... lol.

Actually only 1 is tucked in the garage (the wild \ zoa tank), 2 are grow-out / display-ish, rest are all displays... about 9 at the moment. But these are all minimal upkeep except topping up ATO reservoirs... that's my biggest pain.

Why not a mandarin to take care of the pods?

ah well, I keep forgetting to get one... despite being at AC and Neptune just Sunday! lol.

I used to keep lots of mandarins and ruby reds but just haven't found ones that I would like, and definitely not during sheltering. That said, mandarins prefer copepods rather than isopods (shrimp looking things)... so don't think it would go after them as much. Plus, I need to get some faster population control...

a sizline wrasse might do the trick but I don't want to build a screen for my 45. lazy.. :)

Cadlights 45
====

Turned this tank from a full wild BTA tank to a shared tank with my zoa collection after minimizing the pod population. But looks like the pods are back with a vendetta. in the last 48 hours, they've decimated my pulsing xenia frag... and after I removed what was left to see is if might regenerate froma bit of remaining issue... I woke up this morning to a missing high end zoa (mind trick) I accidentally fragged and tehn mounted when I was pull off some overgrown macroalgae. The pods were working it over. ugh

You need a mandarin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AJ85
=====
Found a juvie lightning maroon. Decided to try to pair it up with an adult occellaris in the tank. The female died last year so chances are that the occ is already or will transition

20200702_190750.jpg

Berghia breeding "tank"
====

Minor setback today. Given the small size of the nudis, i was going to just do small water changes every few days rather than place biofilter media into the grow out tank, which is just a OXO 1.8G container with holes drilled into the lid. My guess is pne or two of the nudis succumbed in the tank and spiked things as i only see 3...possibly 4 of the 5 i started with.

The water smelled of old tank this morning, so i measured ammonia and it was through the roof. Doing a full water change and planning to place some marinepure balls from another tank in a mesh bag for biofiltration. Most likely, I'll suspend the bag in middle to give maximum room for the nudis to lay eggs unimpeded.

I'll do a melafix soak for a bit first to extract all the potential pods out of the marine pure balls.

Berghia Breeding Tank
====

Did the water swap out. And added a mesh bag with 5 marinepure balls (soaked with melafix and rinsed) and a bag of carbon to clear any remaining tea tree oil from the balls. Back in action.

Better news is there are still 4 nudis and lots of egg spirals (wonder if they breed more in a poorer environment). Just counted at least 6 egg spirals. So not too far off track.

I might pull a pair off and put it into one of my other tanks to dbtc my own dbtc after i successfully hatch a clutch. Lol

Back