Cali Kid Corals

NanoCrazed's Lazy Tank(s) Journal

Turns out I was a naughty reefer on Santa's list.

Came home Xmas eve after a 4-day snowboarding trip to discover that i lost my holy grail, RR Angry Bird colony, and the Rainbow Splice that I previously saved (in a separate tank).

The tank that the Rainbow Splice was in had dino / cyano / slime algae take over and covered everything. Need to scope it later. Suffocated the frag.

I have no idea what went wrong yet for my HG and Angry Bird.

so it's officail... there's gotta be a bacterial issue going on.

My RTN spread from the Angry Bird to the RR Ultimate Orange and TGC Cherry Bomb... lost the UOP. Saved the Cherry Bomb. On the other end of the platform, another piece rtn'd and spread to two other nearby pieces (Chaos Les Pauls and LRO HeartThrob)... fun fun fun

tank wide cipro'd last night.

So, after some research, I am now convinced the official diagnosis is brown band disease, which is cause by protozoans and maybe some contribution by dinos.

When I had a tank wide issue before, I saw similar elongated microbes under the scope. I had assumed they were just bacterial runaways after I added Dr Tim's Ecobalance... (god, I hate that stuff!). I suspect that all my pieces have been stressed since the DOS incident, and while away, my temp can seem to go above 76F -- saw it as low as 71F while I was on my trip. The combination might have created teh perfect storm for the ciliates that cause brown band to take hold. All you need is a single foothold and it spreads like wild fire!

Need to always make a habit of inspecting closest neighbors to a RTN event. I always do but after a drive back from Tahoe this time, I didn't have the time unfortunately... so now dealing with multiple spreading fronts. Got more aggressive in last night's treatment with addition of 250mg amoxicillin to the system.

Might try an iodide dip later on the affected pieces to see about knocking off the ciliates more aggressively for affected pieces.

1640807588961.png

Oh man -- Dec 2021 is not my month for reefing...

My Chicagos decided to clog up my overflow while I was away at the office for the first time in ages. Overflowed my tank...run off shorted out my gyre controller... fried it in all sorts of bad way -- thankfully no electrical fire resulted. Just wet floor and burnt circuitry

Hating Kessil AP700s right now...

Went on my first plane ride since the start of the pandemic... for about 3 days. Came back to realize one of my lights were stuck on, on full blast...the spill over wound up light shocking the tank next to it. Lost my mother magic carpet shrooms, and a bunch of high-end SPS, along with the Bay Area grow out piece. grrr....

Hating Kessil AP700s right now...

Went on my first plane ride since the start of the pandemic... for about 3 days. Came back to realize one of my lights were stuck on, on full blast...the spill over wound up light shocking the tank next to it. Lost my mother magic carpet shrooms, and a bunch of high-end SPS, along with the Bay Area grow out piece. grrr....
I've never had that problem with radions...

I run mostly radions, which has a internal battery (and maybe clock)... can happen if power is off for too long but kessils suck at that.

I have kessils for certain tanks bc of spectrum it provides... just didn't think the spill over would be so serious of an impact on the tank next to the one running kessil.

I run mostly radions, which has a internal battery (and maybe clock)... can happen if power is off for too long but kessils suck at that.

I have kessils for certain tanks bc of spectrum it provides... just didn't think the spill over would be so serious of an impact on the tank next to the one running kessil.
That isn't the kessil you got from me is it?

2 of my Radion G15s gen4 did that recently when we had a power outage, our battery kicked in but the schedule got scrambled and it stuck on. Luckily I noticed and reprogrammed them right away. And happened to my AP700s as well when I was out of town and they were on 3 days.

I've once again proven myself to be an idiot.

Was transferring my last remaining holygrail baby torch to my frag tank after completing treatment... while i was at it, thought it would be a good idea to pick off the vermetids on the plug.

Between my eyes adjusting from the bright blue lights and under ambient room light, i confused the retracted baby torch for a vermetid spiral. Yep. Picked it and shatter the skeleton before I realized what I had done. :(

Absolutely beside myself. Prior to this mishap, the torch was growing really well, and showing amazing colors that unique to any other HG variant I've seen.

Now hoping there's a slim chance that the bits that remain might regenerate. In all likelihood, I'll lose the HG baby. Crap!

Dunno why i even thought it necessary to pick off the vermetids. Not like there aren't any in my frag tank. Blame it being 3AM...

Then - pic doesn't do it justice (right):
Resized_20220311_010257(1).jpeg

Now - bits and pieces:
20220511_031208.jpg

My sympathies
“Nothing good happens after midnight”

Got the privilege of an acrylic 150 seam failure...catastrophe
(Was filling the empty tank at 1am after moving into a new apartment)

Back