Reef nutrition

NanoCrazed's Lazy Tank(s) Journal

My latest tank build... 0 G
View attachment 39193

DD8DE219-BD22-4F2D-809A-B6694BE12284.jpeg

Impulse buys continue...

Saw a carpenter, and exquisite and a six line today... brought them home.

Then had a dilemma. 1) Reset my QT for the koi by adding them to the tank, 2) skip the QT and put into observation tank using one of my nanos, 3) set up another QT tank... or 4) roll the dice and just tank.

Ultimately, i opted for 1. Won't hurt my koi getting a few extra days of QT...

Impulse buys continue...

Saw a carpenter, and exquisite and a six line today... brought them home.

Then had a dilemma. 1) Reset my QT for the koi by adding them to the tank, 2) skip the QT and put into observation tank using one of my nanos, 3) set up another QT tank... or 4) roll the dice and just tank.

Ultimately, i opted for 1. Won't hurt my koi getting a few extra days of QT...
Selft restraint....very difficult

My preferred snake oil does it again...

Koi was covered in white spots as of 1AM... did water change and put in fresh dose of imaginatarium parasite...

8 hours later... hardly any spots. Now this of course doesn't mean cured... just progress in getting the parasites to fall off...and eventually stay off. But example of effective relief it provides, if nothing else.

1656013110987.png

been batting velvet to save my koi tang -- mostly out of the woods.

Just when I was feeling all happy about my koi's recovery progress, i found my favorite female lightning maroon died overnight unexpectedly and without any obvious cause. It had just laid a clutch too...

real bummer. Beautiful markings with lots of blue tint -- looks almost like the original momma of all lightnings, too...

20220704_152214.jpg

Scratch that. Looks like eggs aren't viable.

Hopefully it's not because I used chemiclean in the tank a few days ago, not realizing eggs were laid.

How can you tell the eggs aren't viable?
They're opaque. They were still kinda clear yesterday... though pale.

Viable ones remain transparent and brightly colored until they morph with eyes right before hatching.

The only other time my pair laid wggs was last year... in my rush to transfer the rock to grow out, the water was too cold in the growout tank. And i wound up losing all the larvaes...

Cadlight 45
===

Pulled a live rock out for use to QT my koi before the velvet outbreak. Since then, i threw the rock into a bin to let it run fallow before reusing it. Thought admittedly might be easier to simply dry it out and reseed but it had good amount of microfauna on it.

Looked at the bin today and saw a micro jellyfish. Wonder how many actually live in my water column...?

20220705_160650_1.gif

Looks like when it rains, it pours around here. Was prepping for only one pair of maroons breeding after I lost my lighting female in another pair...when tonight I discovered my black&white occ pair laid down a clutch.

Tempted to hatch them all but might have to make a call and select only one pair to further...which would be my black spotted lightning and GSM pair in hopes of carrying forward the black trait in the lightning.

Back