Reef nutrition

NanoCrazed's Lazy Tank(s) Journal

When you grow out your maroons, before the most aggressive ones kill the meek ones (as Kimmy hinted at), can you pull some meek ones aside for me? Is it possible to breed the meanness out of them?

When you grow out your maroons, before the most aggressive ones kill the meek ones (as Kimmy hinted at), can you pull some meek ones aside for me? Is it possible to breed the meanness out of them?
Absolutely! ...assuming that I will be successful.

I think some maroons tend to be a bit more considerate than others. I did read about some cross bred marrons that promises to be less aggressive as a trait.

I might wind up with some black and whit occs as well. Really tempted to grow them all in a single tank together and then separate once they hit meta vs two separate setups.

Ha! In either case, you are welcome to some... and maybe be the first recipient of a new maroon coloration ;).

Coincidentally, Alpha aquaculture managed to secure a black face male and crossed it with a GSM female while I have the reverse. I've been talking to the owner there about this combo. They called theirs "black gold maroons". We had comtemplated a project with offsprings that exhibited more black pattern but I wanted to try my hands at a few rounds first myself.

@Chromis this is the pair that I'm trying to breed. They're not terribly aggressive to begin with. Probably ony pair that have never attacked me when I stick my hands in the tank.

SmartSelect_20220731-151130_Samsung Internet.jpg
SmartSelect_20220730-092418_Samsung Internet.jpg

Absolutely! ...assuming that I will be successful.

I think some maroons tend to be a bit more considerate than others. I did read about some cross bred marrons that promises to be less aggressive as a trait.

I might wind up with some black and whit occs as well. Really tempted to grow them all in a single tank together and then separate once they hit meta vs two separate setups.

Ha! In either case, you are welcome to some... and maybe be the first recipient of a new maroon coloration ;).

Coincidentally, Alpha aquaculture managed to secure a black face male and crossed it with a GSM female while I have the reverse. I've been talking to the owner there about this combo. They called theirs "black gold maroons". We had comtemplated a project with offsprings that exhibited more black pattern but I wanted to try my hands at a few rounds first myself.
@Chromis -- crap! just looked at my calendar and realize that I will be out of town off and on over the next two weeks. So might have to wait until next clutch. Now, I have to figure out how to keep my cultures going until then with me out of town... :/

Bummer. Something spooked my male occ in the breeding pair last night. jumped overnight. The female is ready to lay again today or tomorrow, too...

at least I don't have to worry about competing clutches between my B&W occ pair, and my lightning maroons.... though, my lightnings are delayed in laying... so hopefully they are ready to call it as well.

Dammit. In my rush to set up my autofeeders before heading to the airport, i dropped a few into a bucket of spent SW. Whoops.

Good thing fish are nice and fat, and my tanks are dirty.

Will have to feed extra when i get back Thurs night. I did ask a favor from my wife to feed them while I am out... minimally. Don't want to stress her out too much with my mess of an outhouse. Equipment and buckets everywhere

AquaJapan85

It's 2:40A...and finally finished pulling all my fish except 3 springers in hiding to QT. Will attempt snagging those damsels in the morning with a fish trap.

Wound up introducing some stubborn strain of ich into the tank and after doing nearly a month's worth of in tank treatment with mixed results, decided it's time for the QT route. It was tough because the in tabk treatment looked like it was working, and then the ich came back with a vengence a few days later.

But after just lost my favorite large orange shoulder and my Achilles, I got super motivated to make it happen.

I tried grabbing my Achilles to no avail last few days...though came close a few times. So had planned to pull rocks today so i can grab it. But it died before I can get to it. Real bummer as I think that a FW dip might have helped it get over the hump and fight on. Given how late it was, i thought I would try going the red light route in hopes that they are colored blind. It worked.

Did a 5 min FW dip and straight into hypo... Fun times ahead

AquaJapan85
===

Lost my purple striped dottyback this morning. Could be it doesn't do well under FW dip and hypo.

Though, I wonder if something else is going on... it was extremely plump and I've always thought it looked gravid. Maybe even more so lately. And the fact i can easily net it under full lights probably is an indication that something else might be going on.

That said, I've had it for probably 8+ years now... so likely nearing end of expectancy, so feel a little better on this thought. I think average lifespan is 5-7 years.

Had to move the crew in while switching ttm tanks.

Sure, it's a bit cramped. But it's this or a broil in the garage oven. At least until the next TTM swap and cooler temps.

20220906_162253.jpg

@Coral2Coral scratch that... just saw my gem on its side breathing hard... then the hippo came by and took a bite.

Literally swimming fine to being over stressed...

Hippo is likely the culprit for the damage before.

Kills me that everyone was mostly fine in the previous tank but swapping tanks that went into aggro mode.

I started doing FW dips at every transfer but now thinking it's a bad idea. Need more time separation between dips. Ugh.

@Coral2Coral scratch that... just saw my gem on its side breathing hard... then the hippo came by and took a bite.

Literally swimming fine to being over stressed...

Hippo is likely the culprit for the damage before.

Kills me that everyone was mostly fine in the previous tank but swapping tanks that went into aggro mode.

I started doing FW dips at every transfer but now thinking it's a bad idea. Need more time separation between dips. Ugh.
Might be too crowded in the QT.

Back