Neptune Aquatics

Neptune Apex -- worth it?

Well I was on the not needed side of the fence when I didn’t have one lol, I found a great deal on a used system which I definitely recommend waiting for a good deal to pop up and save some $ but after running with it for over 6+ month if this thing breaks I’m instantly replacing it as I can’t imagine reefing without it now. Being able to pull up live data on your phone is just priceless if you are just as into reefing as I am.

It’s definitely my most used app on my phone haha.

Attachments

• 45AAF59B-372B-4837-B3A8-00E3CB642517.png
    45AAF59B-372B-4837-B3A8-00E3CB642517.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 235
Since you run a bunch of small tanks, I’m not as sure about the value proposition for you. For me, it is an absolute necessity. For many years I didn’t think I needed one, but in retrospect I should have gotten on board sooner, and I can trace a lot of the problems I’ve had to not having a controller before.

Pro / cons of running an Apex?
Make a list of what you would like to automate, monitor and/or control. That will hopefully help you with your question.

As an example, if your tank is relatively simple, maybe lights come on and off, food is fed, evaporation water topped off, and possibly 2 part dosing. Then I'd say no it's not worth it, many brand name lights come with their own timers these days, an Eheim autofeeder or a fancier one can more than be capable as a feeder, a Tunze ATO is more than sufficient, and most multi-head dosing pumps from Jebao to GHL also have built in timers for all that, and there are a number of heater controllers if you don't want to trust the heater's internal controller.
Now could you get some extra value out of an Apex, sure but you need to ask yourself is the extra value worth it for you? And that will be different for different people, some people spend thousands on LED lights over a tank, so an extra $500 for an EL is a "drop" in the bucket, others do a more budget oriented build and you can certainly get away with that as well.

PROS:
Seeing what's happening remotely on a dashboard.

Easy initial set-up.

I like Apex's straightforward scripting. And (I forget what they call it) the script is "auto-generating", meaning it self-populates variable names (component profile names for instance) and other syntax leading to quick and reliable routines because there aren't errors. In fact, Apex debugs edited script when it's saved--it's impossible to save something that has errors in the code. Poor logic can still be introduced, of course, but that's a different story.

If you have played with the most basic programming scripts you'll feel at home with Apex's script.

Charts! Love the charts and comparing charts where you can take different logs and see them together over time.

Apex's journal and calendar reminders are great for adding/doing/remembering stuff.

Apex has never locked-up or needed to be rebooted over the 10 months I've been running it for reasons of its own. I needed to reboot a couple times because of home network issues that I introduced but that's on me.

CONS:
I'd like to be able to log events through my web browser. Journaling (recording tank parameters and logging events) is only done through the Apex app as far as I can tell.

I wish the script editor had a comment symbol so I could comment-out code that I'm not using or that I am hacking thru. I have to save my scripts in another doc so I don't lose them.

Pro / cons of running an Apex?

I didn't think one was necessary before but seeing a lot of folks using makes me wonder if I am missing something?

What? You don’t have a controller yet? As much as you travel?

You can expand one Apex using add-on modules to control many aquariums. Makes life easier especially when traveling.

Same thoughts as lazyreefer, went 10+ years without having one, now I couldn't imagine setting up a tank without one. Just the peace of mind when traveling makes it well worth the cost.

I believe it is well worth it, especially if you're out of town and want to check up on it - which I travel a lot. any controller is a must have in this hobby.

and yes my pH is low. I started a co2 recirculating scrubber last night to try out.
dab78a4e1c296035f429f67ccae4eab5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I believe it is well worth it, especially if you're out of town and want to check up on it - which I travel a lot. any controller is a must have in this hobby.

and yes my pH is low. I started a co2 recirculating scrubber last night to try out.
dab78a4e1c296035f429f67ccae4eab5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Man is your ph correct? Make sure ita not prob error.
A cross correlation will go a long way

I noticed you said controller and not specifically an apex. :)
Not sure I follow. On my main tank I use ghl. Used to use apex in the past thu. Still have an old apex on my 2nd system, was not worth it to upgrad
To me remote controlability is what I seek. I try to use native apps if the product offer it to reduce dependencies on the controller. Anything that can give me remote informations. about the diffrent pieces in the system I make sure to have.
Man I even do water change remotely lol

Last edited:
Neptune apex is also great on providing notifications via text or email when your parameters goes outside the range. The best part is to be able to control your system even your away from home. It also makes water change easy. You only need to control thru your app to turn your system off and on. I think it’s well worth it.

Back