High Tide Aquatics

New Member Area/Introduce yourself thread

Hi
Was hoping to find a Corals Anonymous support group. :D My name is Wayland and live in SF at the foot of Mt. Davidson. I joined about a month ago and look forward to attend my 1st meeting. I did make it to the swap meet and it seem like everyone knows each other. I have been in and out of salt water for the last 10+ years. I purchase a 100gal tank about 4 years ago after my 55 gal crash. I had it setup and purchase a few corals for it but lost interested and did not maintaining it. About a year later the whole front of the tank was cover with coralline and I could not see inside of it. I had a friend that thought it was some type of art work. So after a week of getting the coralline off I found that a few of the corals were alive and doing well. I really started when Nippon closed and I purchased CA reactor/ coral frags and some pumps. I went out and got myself a set of 175w MH which was too little light for the tank. I recently purchased a pair of LumeArc Reflectors with 250w MH. I now have a bullet skimmer and a refugium running. I do a mix of soft and SPS corals. The oldest SPS was a light green(more like brown) with blue tips. My latest is some I picked up from the swap, LPS from Sang and what I purchase from Thales. My worry now is the deep sand bed. It’s about 5-6in in some places and afraid it will one day crash the tank. Also pickup a oceanmotion from Lapsan and hope to run a closed loop for better flow. I’m just running a pair of seio and a squid on my return. I hope to get advise and learn from all you experienced reefers. :)

Hiya Wayland,

Welcome to BAR!

Frag swaps can be overwhelming as a first meeting. I went to my first one in 2005 and totally didn't know anybody there.

The regular meetings are lots smaller. The next one will be on April 14th. So hope you can set aside that date on your calendar.

It hasn't been announced yet, but so far we are planning to have a presentation on captive breeding and raising of clownfish. There should be a cool raffle as usual too :D

Welcome Wayland,

I agree the frag swaps are really not the best for a first impression - I think I went to the very first frag swap way way back in the day at the start of the club - yeah it sucked cuz no one will talk to you. :(

Yeah - another SF reef addict - are you right off the 36 Teresita bus line?

Hi everyone!
I'm Holly. I have a 24G Bio Cube. I've had it for about 2 months is all. I just added my first clowns last weekend, I'm VERY excited about that. I've had freshwater all my life growing up, but just got into salt and it's VERY addicting!

I just joined BAR two days ago.

Hi all. My name is Eric and just joined recently. I've been keeping some form of fish for about 2/3 of my life. I used to have a 40 gallon reef tank back in the days that was broken down after having ran it for about 7 years. A lot of things have surely changed since then and I'm ready to get my feet wet again with saltwater.

To that end, I am starting up again, but on a very small scale. Just currently have a 1.5 gallon Ocean Free tank that I'm beginning to stock with micros, zoas, and a few other frags here and there.

Hopefully I'll be able to meet some of you guys in the near future.

Thanks. Yeah, it's been interesting finding smaller frags and the space for it.

Here's the FTS.
DSC_6402.jpg

I've been instructed to post an intro! So here it goes. My name is Christian. I live in Almaden Valley in San Jose. I am a Multi-line Adjuster for Infinity Insurance Co. I am married and have a 2 year old named Collin (future reefer). I am an avid San Jose Sharks fan and that occupies most of my time between October and April. Other than that, I'm a big reef nerd.

My current setup includes the following:
90g RR AGA
8 Bulb SLS Tek Fixture
2xTunze 6000 (on order)
1xTunze 7095
Custom 40g sump
Euroreef (CS-8 I think, or something like that)
~125lbs Live rock
~4 inch sandbed

Paired and mated Clarkii clowns
Yellow Tang
Powder Brown Tang
Lemarks Angel
Orchid Dottyback
2 Green Chromis

Lots of Forgspawn, Kenya Tree, Green Nepthea, assorted zoas and rics, lost most of my SPS this summer after my A/C went out, 5-6 inch crocea clam, lots of hermits and snails. I just set this tank up about 2 weeks ago (transfered everything from my 55g tall, including most of the water), and as soon as I iron out a few wrinkles I will be sure to post some pictures. I wasn't at the most recent frag swap, but I was at the one before that. I met some of you. The names I remember are Mark, Norm, Mona and a few other faces that I cannot put a name to. I hope to be able to meet more of you as time goes by.

Anyways, that's me in a nutshell (HELP! I"M TRAPPED IN THIS NUTSHELL!). Hope everyone has a good weekend.

GO SHARKS!!!

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=431.msg16572#msg16572 date=1172687778]
Welcome Wayland,

I agree the frag swaps are really not the best for a first impression - I think I went to the very first frag swap way way back in the day at the start of the club - yeah it sucked cuz no one will talk to you. :(

[/quote]
Hi
Maybe it was the rush of the swap. :) I hope match the handles with names and faces at the next club meeting. I'm on Molimo. How about you? Are there a lot of Reefer in SF?

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=431.msg16555#msg16555 date=1172645133]
Hiya Wayland,

Welcome to BAR!

Frag swaps can be overwhelming as a first meeting. I went to my first one in 2005 and totally didn't know anybody there.

The regular meetings are lots smaller. The next one will be on April 14th. So hope you can set aside that date on your calendar.

It hasn't been announced yet, but so far we are planning to have a presentation on captive breeding and raising of clownfish. There should be a cool raffle as usual too :D
[/quote]
Thankyou
I hope to attend.Where is the next meeting at?

Hey Everyone,

I've had a chance to meet some of you already, but this seems like a good place and a good time to put out a general "hello"

My name is Matt and I live in Danville with my wife and 2 week old son Carson. I'm a certified "reef geek", my wife's term. I think she still thinks of me as a geek from when I tore computers apart 24/7. Anyway, I'm a technical trainer for a software company in Conecticut.
I have been keeping fish of some kind most of my life. My lates creation is by far the best one yet. I have a 46 Gal bowfront tank loaded to the gils (no pun intended) with a variety of zoos, shrooms, spawns, brains and two big acros. I'd post a picture, but it isn't very photogenic right now. I bought some 10K lights to encourage growth and everything looks a little yellow. :p Anyway, the real beauty of the tank is it rest right next to my stair landing so all of my filtration is housed under there. This allowed me to put in a 40G tank divided into an 18G refugium and a 15G sump. Water flows into my sump then part goes right back into the tank while another part goes into my 20G long frag tank. The frag tank then feeds into the refugium which inturn goes back into the sump. I could go on for hours about this whole setup, because I love it so much bit I'll leave that for another time.
I'll finish off with some personal info. I'm a BIG Steelers fan, love hockey (GO DEVILS!) and I'm in Craigslister's Annonymous. You want to know more, you'll have to buy me dinner or at least buy me a drink. ;D

[quote author=nash link=topic=431.msg16744#msg16744 date=1172906368]
[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=431.msg16572#msg16572 date=1172687778]
Welcome Wayland,

[/quote]
Hi
Maybe it was the rush of the swap. :) I hope match the handles with names and faces at the next club meeting. I'm on Molimo. How about you? Are there a lot of Reefer in SF?
[/quote]

Doh - sorry about the other post as I did not see this one (I'm feeling stooopid).

I live over towards Inner Sunset - closer to Forest Hill/Twin Peaks area

Back