Our mission

Next Tank Options

Which is your pick for a large peninsula tank?

• Innovative Marine 200 EXT Peninsula

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Red Sea S-950 G2+ Peninsula

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Crystal Dynamics 180 gal Peninsula

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Custom/8 ft tank to fill the space

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

H2OPlayar

Supporting Member
The stars have aligned and I have started thinking about a next tank. There is a space in the house we are under contract on that would be great for a 6'-8' peninsula tank as a room divider. I am not seeing a lot over 6" that wouldn't be custom.

As such, I am starting to look at what tanks are out there.

I like the security that euro braced tanks offer and as such have found these 3 tanks. I am likely going to reuse all of my equipment from my 168 Crystal Dynamics build, so I would only need tank, stand, and sump. I was really happy with my Crystal Dynamics tank so they are top runner right now.

Here are the links to the tanks I am looking at.

$3200: IM 200 EXT

$7,000: Red Sea G2+

$6,600: Crystal Dynamics

$10,000? Custom

What are your thoughts?
Any other brands I should be looking at for a 6-8 foot peninsula?
Are there good acrylic tank manufacturers that would be worth looking into?

Last edited:
If this is for a Vegas house, why have you not considered these guys?? :p They make killer fake themed aquascapes
51.jpg

In all seriousness, I really love my Reefer S series and would recommend if you're not insistent on customizing it too much. The CD one you linked will easily exceed the Reefer S 950+ cost once you add in plumbing and sump. 24" wide on a peninsula is too restricting imo.

I'll cast my vote for the IM Nuvo 200 EXT, based on:
  • Dimensions (71" long, 30" wide, 21" tall)
  • Stand (lightweight, easy assembly, love it)
  • Gorgeous eurobraced tank, and I've never heard a bad thing about them
  • While $$ is not the most important consideration, half the price of other options
I'm biased, but I'll still advocate staying away from Red Sea given my customer service interactions with them have left a bad taste in my mouth, the threat of seam failure, and the fact that (unless I'm missing something) the G2's aren't eurobraced.

I really like the S-950 over the 200 ext for the tank height (25.6” vs 21.7”) and stand height (39.4” vs 35.4”) . The IM200 was too shallow for my personal liking given the length and width dimensions. It’s pretty much a really big lagoon and with the stand height you’re having to lean into the tank. I know you prefer an eye level display, as do I.. Nice thing is that the S-950 is eurobraced too! Otherwise I’d say go custom but $ for $, the G2 peninsula is a winner for me in this lineup. I’d lean more toward the IM200 if maybe the stand were a bit taller like 40”-42”..

Last edited:
I wouldn’t do red sea, and I own multiple Red Sea tanks.

I would consider a euro brace if I were getting a new tank. One other thing I would look out for is to ensure you can access the sump from both sides. It is a huge help.

They all look very similar to me. I personally would go with the lowest cost option unless there was something that would explain and extra 3k charge.

For a big tank, don't go rimless. I love external overflow. No bulging internal overflow box. Viewing the tank from 3 sides is a huge plus. Dream big Mr. Vegas and go custom 120x30x24h. You're tall, probably make your own stand. Maybe you could get that 7 Still tank. But also consider relocating the tank is a PITA.

I met a fellow reefer earlier. He's going to mimic @Beanju and get a IM 200ext peninsula.

Last edited:
The stars have aligned and I have started thinking about a next tank. There is a space in the house we are under contract on that would be great for a 6'-8' peninsula tank as a room divider. I am not seeing a lot over 6" that wouldn't be custom.

As such, I am starting to look at what tanks are out there.

I like the security that euro braced tanks offer and as such have found these 3 tanks. I am likely going to reuse all of my equipment from my 168 Crystal Dynamics build, so I would only need tank, stand, and sump. I was really happy with my Crystal Dynamics tank so they are top runner right now.

Here are the links to the tanks I am looking at.

$3200: IM 200 EXT

$7,000: Red Sea G2+

$6,600: Crystal Dynamics

$10,000? Custom

What are your thoughts?
Any other brands I should be looking at for a 6-8 foot peninsula?
Are there good acrylic tank manufacturers that would be worth looking into?
That IM deal seems too good to be true. If someone put in front of you the CDA tank by itself on one side and the IM200 with $3400 cash sitting in it on the other, which would you take?

That being said, as a true room divider, I'd most worry about what the stand looks like and how it looks in your space.

Also, the red sea tanks are pretty great in my experience. I know there's the constant circular debate of "red sea is bad" versus "red sea is the biggest seller so they obviously have more examples of failures", which is a judgement call.

The recent red sea products coming out seem pretty innovative as well (no pun intended). Don't the G2+ models include the fancy new ATO and temp thing?

Also, the red sea tanks are pretty great in my experience. I know there's the constant circular debate of "red sea is bad" versus "red sea is the biggest seller so they obviously have more examples of failures", which is a judgement call.
What I have come to the conclusion of is "Used Red Sea without a eurobrace is bad"

Yeah, the price difference is what has gotten me thinking about the 6' IM versus building out a custom 8', which seems to be the two winning options.

Have you considered Lee mar. I’ve had a few of their aquariums over the years. They are awesome. They are based out of LA. It’s the go too aquarium down there.

That is what cda is. Used to be leemar. Employees took it over
I met CDA last year at reefapoolza (sp) - I was impressed with the demo tanks they had. But if the IM works and you can pocket $3400 -that’s great for lots of…coral!

As to Red Sea-so far tank and lights working pretty good, in addition to reefmat and I have the new ato device which has been working great (after Red Sea replaced a faulty controller) -I would def consider another tank by them again.

Can’t remember which tank it is now-but the one that you can open ALL the cabinet doors would be a big plus in my book!

Whatever you get, sure it will be great.

Back