Neptune Aquatics

[Oct 19, 2019] Regional Frag Swap (San Francisco)

So does this count for this swap or the next one. I think I’ll have been a member for 4 or 5 months in october so will I be able to participate I realize you mentioned 2020 but I want to make sure.

So does this count for this swap or the next one. I think I’ll have been a member for 4 or 5 months in october so will I be able to participate I realize you mentioned 2020 but I want to make sure.
The next one. This is the regional swap. Everyone is invited and pays for entry. The next one will be the members only swap.

Reactions: JVU
Sadly to say, my tank crashed a while back and I don't have corals anymore. Back in the days, we could put in additional money to still join the swap for those without frags. I'd like to get back in SPS again, so wanted to see if this would be an option.

Sadly to say, my tank crashed a while back and I don't have corals anymore. Back in the days, we could put in additional money to still join the swap for those without frags. I'd like to get back in SPS again, so wanted to see if this would be an option.
Where do you live?

I can donate a coral for you to enter the swap with. I’m sure others will help you out as well. Getting 3 shouldn’t be an issue.

Just pm me before the event and we will work it out.

You say it crashed a while back? How much is a while back? Any reason you haven't tried to get anything more? Or just waiting for the frag swap?

I'm not trying to bust your chops about trying to get into the frag swap to get started again, but the swap is over a month away, see if you can't get a few SPS frags to see if your tank is SPS ready before trying to get some from the swap, either from members or swing by Neptune and get a few out of their $10 frag tanks. I speak from experience about thinking I was ready, because of the hubris of "I've kept SPS before" and killed a bunch of frags I got from a swap as a result. While you won't grow enough to frag, at the very least you will see if your tank is in fact ready to keep SPS.

Mike - Honestly, no reason in particular. I used to be a regular BAR member years ago, but living in SF I don't drive out to the East Bay swaps and being this one is in SF is what caught my attention on RC. My tank crashed a year ago, so all I have left are monti caps and digitata that keep growing (these corals have always been able to survive through rough patches).
I've been doing this for a while and just want to keep things simple now with work and family. While my tank is over 10 years old, I don't want to totally give it up, but lately just changing water and enjoying what little I have. Like I said, I'm not looking for free stuff and I don't have any problems buying in. ;)

Last edited:
Well shoot montis are still SPS, and if you're keeping them then you should be good to go. If you change your mind about not looking for free stuff, I can make sure you get into the frag swap.

Mike - Honestly, no reason in particular. I used to be a regular BAR member years ago, but living in SF I don't drive out to the East Bay swaps and being this one is in SF is what caught my attention on RC. My tank crashed a year ago, so all I have left are monti caps and digitata that keep growing (these corals have always been able to survive through rough patches).
I've been doing this for a while and just want to keep things simple now with work and family. While my tank is over 10 years old, I don't want to totally give it up, but lately just changing water and enjoying what little I have. Like I said, I'm not looking for free stuff and I don't have any problems buying in. ;)
If you can bring 3 different eligible frags of your hardy corals you will meet the entry requirements. So if you have some coral growing to frag you should be ok. If this works for you, it would be the best option, as far as the spirit of the event goes.

We don’t have a buy-in option, and also don’t have a program to buy frags from local vendors to use for entry. The big-picture goal is to encourage propagation of coral by hobbyists.

If members want to give you coral for your entry requirement, they can. Usually that is done for and by supporting members helping out someone temporarily down on their luck with their tank. Becoming a supporting member helps to show you are interested in more than free coral from the club, and is a bargain in many other ways. In general it would be a personal arrangement between you, ie would not be facilitated by the coral check-in folks.

Hope to see you there!

If you can bring 3 different eligible frags of your hardy corals you will meet the entry requirements. So if you have some coral growing to frag you should be ok. If this works for you, it would be the best option, as far as the spirit of the event goes.

We don’t have a buy-in option, and also don’t have a program to buy frags from local vendors to use for entry. The big-picture goal is to encourage propagation of coral by hobbyists.

If members want to give you coral for your entry requirement, they can. Usually that is done for and by supporting members helping out someone temporarily down on their luck with their tank. Becoming a supporting member helps to show you are interested in more than free coral from the club, and is a bargain in many other ways. In general it would be a personal arrangement between you, ie would not be facilitated by the coral check-in folks.

Hope to see you there!

There's a bunch of folks selling on RC, so I've messaged a couple to buy some. My monti cap is getting quite large, so I can make frags of this as well as my green toadstool, but I'm looking to pick up some more from locals.

For a while, I'd check RC and it seemed like hardly anyone was selling, but now things have improved a lot. Best part is that I don't need to spend a small fortune for a few sticks. Thanks for the comments and hoping to see how a swap in SF is like.

I can help, if you need help with anything, Cleaning/setup.

I don't know why I can't add myself on the volunteer list. Is keep asking me to login to hit reply.

We wanted to clarify (and slimplify) the Bonus/Ultra coral rules a bit, so the new rules for the max number of frags of any single coral you can bring to count toward bonus round tickets is:

- Bonus corals: Max 5 of the same coral.
- Ultra corals: No Max.

Of course you can bring as many corals as you want, this is just what counts toward bonus tickets. Note that this change makes it so that even if you only have 1 bonus coral type to share, you can still get 1 ticket with 3 frags of the same coral.

Back