Cali Kid Corals

Potential Event: Member Recognition Awards

IOnceWasLegend

Frag Swap Coordinator
BOD
So we’re always trying to think up new ways to promote (and reward) community engagement. With that in mind, I wanted to ask everyone for thoughts, feedback, and suggestions for an annual Member Recognition Awards event.

I’m thinking that, once per year, we’d have several nomination categories (see below) that anyone on the forum could nominate people for. This would be followed by a couple weeks of anonymous voting. At our December Holiday Meeting, we’d announce the winners. Prizes could be forum titles along with potentially things like gift cards, equipment, and livestock. (Italicized to get peoples’ attention. )

Several potential categories could be Most Helpful User, Most Links Completed in DBTC, and Most Generous.

Additionally, because a lot of the freshest ideas come from the newest members and we want to make new members of the club feel welcomed, I’d like several categories specifically targeted to newcomers. Still brainstorming ideas, but potentially things like, “Most Activity from a New Member,” “Biggest Impact by a New Member,” “Best New Tank Journal,” etc.

Finally, some light-hearted categories would be fun. “Most Likely To Add Another Tank,” “Most Likely To Upgrade Soon,” etc.

Initial thoughts are that board members will be excluded, at least initially, from these nominations and prizes. Additionally, to promote fairness, people should not be able to win the same award more than once in X number of years (leaning towards 5, but we’re open for feedback).

Let me know what you think! I’m all ears.

If people embrace the idea then so will I, but don’t think rewards to promote engagement are needed. I think the reef talk and fun within posts is enough. I’m going to try to stay active this year but it’s difficult when work and life become busy. If someone wants to take it on it could be fun, I suppose. I also feel weird about the BOD excluded from stuff bc it makes those people seem less a part of the general community.

personally, once all this covid stuff is over with, you can bring back tank tours and/or lfs tours. tank of the month is good to bring back as well - best tank scape, best photo, etc. lots of possibilities with what we have. you can do some type of contest to get everyone involved. in the end, we just need more types of interactions amongst our self. i do like responding to other peoples' threads, but getting out of the house once in a while helps the sanity.

Just give all the awards to @Coral reefer , @ashburn2k and call it a day XD
That's almost exactly the opposite of what we're trying to do, hahaha.

If people embrace the idea then so will I, but don’t think rewards to promote engagement are needed. I think the reef talk and fun within posts is enough. I’m going to try to stay active this year but it’s difficult when work and life become busy. If someone wants to take it on it could be fun, I suppose. I also feel weird about the BOD excluded from stuff bc it makes those people seem less a part of the general community.
It's partly to promote engagement, partly to reward people for being awesome people, and partly because it's just fun. :) The BOD is leaning towards being excluded, at least initially, because we want to raise up others who've worked to make the club a better place.

personally, once all this covid stuff is over with, you can bring back tank tours and/or lfs tours. tank of the month is good to bring back as well - best tank scape, best photo, etc. lots of possibilities with what we have. you can do some type of contest to get everyone involved. in the end, we just need more types of interactions amongst our self. i do like responding to other peoples' threads, but getting out of the house once in a while helps the sanity.
That is definitely under consideration, and agreed entirely on in-person events helping with sanity!

I think it is a nice idea. Of course I think the main concerns would some feeling like it is a popularity contest, but having some measurable ones like most DTBC links as you said would be nice to help with that.

I like the ideas of contests. Would also be cool to do another grow out contest, those are really fun.

I like anything to get engagement up, this included. I like the ideas suggested already and could add

Most improved tank
Best save from a pest/algae
Largest Fish/Most fish growth
Largest colony/most growth
Best picture w/ filter & w/ natural light
Best Wiring/Worst Wiring: Prize for worst wiring should include zip ties
Most stuff fit under one tank (I am a shoe in here!)
Team award for largest DBCT # links, where people compete to share as much coral as they can
New Fish Parents: Given to everyone who had their first successful spawning event
Different categories for different sized tanks
Densest coral in a nano vs 100+ gallon
Oldest fish/coral colony (recognize one each per quarter to recognize longevity)
Most unique colors in a single colony (ie red, green + yellow + blue and not 5 shades of different blue)
"Generic awards" for 2,3,5+ etc. years with a still living system to encourage longevity in the hobby

I'll add to this as I think of more

Edit: added a couple more

Last edited:
Toss in a grow out contest, which hasn't been done in awhile. It's covid friendly and can bridge some of the lacking interactions with the LFS. Just pick up a colony from any of the LFS, frag it up equally and then grow the heck out of it. I'm sure the price of admission will easily pay for the colony and any prizes will definitely offset whatever was used to purchase the frag for the winner(s) (if the prize was possibly a gift card to the LFS).

That’s good, but how would we know for sure who it is?
Post a survey, with a few names to begin with, and let the members vote on the names of who introduced them to the club.
If the name doesn't exist in the list, let the users add options to the poll.

Slack has this feature, but I'm sure there are free options available elsewhere.

Back