got ethical husbandry?

PSA: PG&E announces potential for blackouts due to high winds for Bay Area and Central Valley

We’re you affected by the power outage?

• Total voters
Most of the Bay Area is on the list of counties likely to be affected. Remember they are doing this to be pro-active which means all they need is a weather prediction showing high fire-hazard conditions somewhere along the course of our power lines to be justified to cut power to all of us. After they were blamed for the recent horrible fires when they kept our power on during such conditions, you can bet they will be cautious and this will be the new normal this time of year.

You better have a backup plan for your tank. Seriously.

I was planning to do the next stage of my tank tear down in two weeks but will perhaps be doing it sooner....

If power is out on Thursday I will do an emergency teardown. My prioirity would be the fish and livestock, but I would try to save the coral as well. Should it be necessary, buckets of fish and coral anyone?

I just went out and bought this one from Costco. I need to get one anyway in case there is an earthquake or power is out for other reasons.

Too many tanks to power ;) so I have this duel fuel (gas/propane) inverter generator coming tomorrow. Also, if my solar inverter gets disconnected from the power grid because of an outage and there’s enough sun, I can flip a switch and my solar inverter can give me up to 1500W of juice out of a dedicated outlet.

Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator with Electric Start https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FAWMMEY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VGoNDb4JHQJF8

Last edited:
I was planning to do the next stage of my tank tear down in two weeks but will perhaps be doing it sooner....

If power is out on Thursday I will do an emergency teardown. My prioirity would be the fish and livestock, but I would try to save the coral as well. Should it be necessary, buckets of fish and coral anyone?
i can temporary hold your fish and corals for you at my home since it's not shutting down, i can leave in a pump and heater in the bucket for you until your power comes back on, or let you borrow my gas generator.

One of these days I'll look into generators again, definitely want dual fuel though, while propane isn't as efficient as gasoline it stores better, is cleaner, and in most cases one can simply hook up a conversion device (different sized opening) and use natural gas if PG&E really wants to be an asshat about turning out power every time the wind blows more than 10 mph

Better not cut power to San Francisco, we don't have any damn trees here!
I live basically in downtown SF, and my power has gone out once a week for the past three weeks for a few hours each time. Can’t imagine it being down for days... need to put together one of those diy ecotech compatible battery backup systems to run the pumps for a day or two.

Sweet thanks Phillip, looking at the map at sfgate looks like SF will be spared from this, wonder if pushing residents over to it's green power program had anything to do with this.

And yeah I got a Ecotech battery backup, not hooked up mind you (yay great plan Mike!), but cutting the power after midnight is harsh because I be sleeping and won't know power is off until morning... definitely need to put some extra effort it getting my electrical cabinet for my tank up though, hooking up my return pump to the battery backup might be a good thing... or maybe one of my tank pumps would be better as they push more water per watt.

Back