Cali Kid Corals

Reef2reef sucks and discriminates

Could someone elaborate on why there is such a concern of the club sending a letter saying it is against the discriminatroy practices of a peer in the industry?

Could someone elaborate on why there is such a concern of the club sending a letter saying it is against the discriminatroy practices of a peer in the industry?

Because you’re forcing a reefing club that was never meant to be an activist organization to now take positions on issues that aren’t reefing related. Not all paying members sign up for this. It has nothing to do, in my opinion, whether the position BAR would be taking is right or wrong. Some just join and pay a reefing forum to talk about reefing related stuff.

Wow...this escalated fast...but in a good way. MY perspective and opinion (me, not the Board since we have not discussed it as Board...yet ) is that I am glad that it is being discussed on BAR. D&I is all around us...and only through public awareness, will things change. And, if we are silent, it will not. It's that simple. In fact, And on that note, I propose that we change our Clownfish logo to a RAINBOW clownfish for the month.

Last edited:
I would emphasize there are MANY options.
1) BAR can ban discussion on political issues.
2) BAR can stay neutral and let members do what they want.
3) BAR can stay mostly neutral but encourage members to speak out and use BAR site for it.
4) BAR can take an official position on discrimination and censorship.
5) BAR can take an official position on the R2R incident specifically.
6) BAR can actively go out and fight against R2R.

I am guessing a lot of members would be in the 2-4 range.

Wow...this escalated fast...but in a good way. MY perspective and opinion (me, not the Board since we have not discussed it as Board...yet ) is that I am glad that it is being discussed on BAR. D&I is all around us...and only through public awareness, will things change. And, if we are silent, it will not. It's that simple. In fact, And on that note, I propose that we change our Clownfish logo to a RAINBOW clownfish for the month.
Thats a great idea!

If you think John and I are against supporting and empowering our members, you are not reading what we have to say.

Emotionally charged arguments can do that. People stop reading and just react.
Your last post made it clear and I agree with you. I was advocating for one simple thing, should we discuss showing support.
How?
Members discussion or a poll would be a good way for it.
I was confused because in one post you stated that you are against taking a stand so I thought you meant in general.
You and John expressed your opinions, would be good to hear from members especially those who do not want to speak publicly as @Chromis said. Thats why I was backing up the poll idea.

So...I think the logo is a great idea and it should be ready tonight.

When I asked my daughter to work on it, she said something interesting.

"A rainbow clown fish is great, but is the club actually DOING anything to BE an ally?"​

And IMHO that's the crux of it. Even though we are inclusive and provide a safe space are we actually DOING SOMETHING to be an ally? We should. What, I don't know.

Please read my signature.

BAR doesn't need to take a stand IMO but.... this is bigger than the Bay Area. I paid and support them. I think the issue for me is that it would be great to connect with other reefers in the community across the country. Anytime I have broached the topic it has been in the Lounge area. I think anytime you can show diversity and inclusion in an online community it only helps to build it. If this is not something you support that's fine. I don't think people can appreciate the visibility of our community in spaces and the impact it can have on people's lives.
Threads for LGBTQ reefers to hang out on BAR would be completely fine I would think, if people want to. We don’t have a national reach, but having a local community is valuable.
Randy, Would discussing covid and the medical system as an example be different? We discuss these topics here do not we?
The issue is when we label things political while other not.
Ofcourse you are entitled to what you think, so as everyone else.
No one is telling anyone here to not discuss this. Discussion is good. BAR doesn’t have any official positions condemning some other organization for their stance on medical issues.

Talking about it and letting people know it’s happening is different than having BAR taking a position on it. Look, I’m not saying what they’re doing is right or wrong. My point is people are signing up and PAYING for a reefing forum/organization to talk about reefing, coral, fish and equipment. Not take stances on a race, gender or political issue. Especially one that’s not related to reefing. That’s my issue with it. I’m not saying no one should talk about it.

should we next go after other non-reef forums for being discriminatory too?
This situation is directly related to reefing.

I would emphasize there are MANY options.
1) BAR can ban discussion on political issues.
2) BAR can stay neutral and let members do what they want.
3) BAR can stay mostly neutral but encourage members to speak out and use BAR site for it.
4) BAR can take an official position on discrimination and censorship.
5) BAR can take an official position on the R2R incident specifically.
6) BAR can actively go out and fight against R2R.

I am guessing a lot of members would be in the 2-4 range.
I vote 4.

We have a code of conduct that indirectly addresses this already, we could certainly add something stronger, regarding option #4

I’d argue that it’s not, but we’d both be blue in the face and then dead arguing about it. So let’s not. :)
How is the way one of the biggest reefing sites, with massive influence, discriminates against certain reef keepers not directly related to reefkeeping? I won’t respond back if you don’t want, but I just don’t see it so I am interested in what you see.

Back