Jestersix

RODI Leaks.. How to prevent?

Hi all.. So I just had a leak in my living room from a connector on my RODI setup that sprung loose. Luckily I was at home so caught it within half an hour, but the connection was right after the booster bump so it was pretty high pressure and still made a pretty big mess.

What are you guys doing to prevent RODI units from leaking? I thought about moving it outside into a shed but it would get really hot which I thought probably wouldn't be good for the unit.

My RODI unit is in a cabinet so I thought about adding kind of a drip tray in there, so any leak detectors in the cabinet are sure to get triggered.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Wow I never knew those existed. Thanks for sharing those. I have been worried since my unit is under the sink and I wouldn’t notice a leak very quickly.

As @rygh mentions, make sure the tubing is properly cut.
When I setup my BRS RODI, virtually every piece of tubing needed to be recut and seated in the fittings. A tubing cutter makes getting good, square, non-burred cuts waaaay easier.

As @rygh mentions, make sure the tubing is properly cut.
When I setup my BRS RODI, virtually every piece of tubing needed to be recut and seated in the fittings. A tubing cutter makes getting good, square, non-burred cuts waaaay easier.
What he said....plus make sure there is no added pressure from weight or a tight radius where you have couplings. Make sure everything is nice and straight.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1. Make sure your push connect fittings are actually all the way in. People tend to not push them in far enough.
2. A good square cut is nice. This is reasonably doable with a new razor blade for those who don't have the fancy cutter. Scissors tend to make poor cuts.
3. I use one of these water alarms. Not wifi enabled, but it sounds like a smoke detector so you aren't going to miss it if you're nearby, and the price is good: https://www.amazon.com/Glentronics-...ocphy=9031961&hvtargid=pla-349312978973&psc=1
4. Drip tray, and a drain. I tend to like running my RO system in general in a place that has a drain. This can be a traditional drain, correctly sloped garage, drip tray with a hole punched to the outside of the structure, whatever.
5. Heads up that booster pumps tend to eventually start seeping at the motor to pump seal as well.

Back