Neptune Aquatics

Ryan’s 40G first reef

I've never been so excited to see green algae LOL. 5.9ppm nitrate and 0.055ppm phosphate are my current readings. Hopefully this will address my SPS's pale skin.

I got my Halloween collector urchin 4 hats and he took to the traffic cone first. Now please stop stealing my frags!
A7A460AA-63AF-4564-805F-D22A4F35F6E1.jpeg

Export lists have them as Halloween Urchin". We used to sell tons of them at Cortez.
I had one for many years but never knew what it was. I’ll look around under that name and see what I see. Thanks.
Any idea where they come from or what they are especially good for off the top off your memory?

Cyano has set in after having detectable nitrates, ugh. I’m manually stirring it up for now.
Non chemical removal cyano tips?
Params: alk 10, calc 450, mag 1450, N 9.5, P 0.07
91740608-4D6E-493C-8B81-3B00B85AB345.jpeg

My AIO decided to go haywire. I've run my MDP-2500 return pump at 660gph for the last 5 months. This week it somehow lowered my return chamber height by 8 inches. So now it's being run at half speed as that seems to have fixed it. Special thanks to @Srt4eric for the emergency help. At least now with a lower DT level my surface weir skimmer will actually skim. Before the water level was literally spilling over the top of the AIO into the filter area.

I’m starting to regret my choice of tank and filter. I think I’ll save up for an IM EXT 75G and full sump setup.
i suggest a red sea. it will give you everything you want and a sump set up. if you go IM, which is also good, you would need to find a sump that would fit the cabinet - which is an additional price.

i suggest a red sea. it will give you everything you want and a sump set up. if you go IM, which is also good, you would need to find a sump that would fit the cabinet - which is an additional price.
I am personally anti redsea due to reported failures. I will just get a DIY or custom sump. IM has been having 40% off sales so about $1200 vs $2100 leaves plenty of budget for a sump.

I am personally anti redsea due to reported failures. I will just get a DIY or custom sump. IM has been having 40% off sales so about $1200 vs $2100 leaves plenty of budget for a sump.
every tank has their failure. lots of members here have red sea as their tanks including myself and neither one of them has an issue. if you think IM doesnt have their issues also, go right ahead. either way, either manufacturer is good. good luck on your upgrade.

edit: i have a rsr350 for sale once i upgrade to my new lagoon tank.

Last edited:
every tank has their failure. lots of members here have red sea as their tanks including myself and neither one of them has an issue. if you think IM doesnt have their issues also, go right ahead. either way, either manufacturer is good. good luck on your upgrade.

edit: i have a rsr350 for sale once i upgrade to my new lagoon tank.
I don’t think any brand is flawless and I would bet that all their failure rates are fairly close. The reason I’m interested in IM is that I don’t want an internal overflow. I’d like the whole rectangle to scape and stock. It’s one of the reasons that I dislike my AIO.

Back