Jestersix

Salty_Taste650: Innovative Marine 50Gal Lagoon

Bacterial Infection Update:

- Lost my Frank Bounce
- OG Bounce on its last legs

This is a huge loss for me personally. OG Bounce was my oldest coral and most proud. Frank was a bucket list item of mine as well. They went through iodine dips, chemiclean but once I introduced H202, it looks like that was it after that. 4 mins in h202 50/50 was too much.

They say bad luck comes in 3's... Clownfish, OG Bounce, Frank Bounce. Ahh

Ugh that sucks to hear, hope the bounce recovers. Maybe grab some donor rock from a healthy member's tank to see if you can reintroduce good microfauna and help balance out the microbiome? Seems like most of the problems started post tank transfer and going into a dry rock environment.

@under_water_ninja and I have been theorizing that new tanks plus dry rock and bottled bacteria with no seed/donor live rock/media are more prone to uglies, disease brought on by stress, and just have a rough first year in general vs. even the old wet paper shipped live rock from 1990-2010.

Could just be us old men yelling at clouds, but shouldn't be hard getting a clean rock from someone here!

@under_water_ninja and I have been theorizing that new tanks plus dry rock and bottled bacteria with no seed/donor live rock/media are more prone to uglies, disease brought on by stress, and just have a rough first year in general vs. even the old wet paper shipped live rock from 1990-2010.

Could just be us old men yelling at clouds, but shouldn't be hard getting a clean rock from someone here!
That would sense to me. It's very likely bottled bacteria don't have anywhere near the diversity that live rock from the ocean/mature rock has. Bacteria, even nitrifying bacteria, aren't homogenous and there's likely quirks and minutiae that different species bring to our tanks, and constantly upsetting/altering a system (e.g., microbiome) that's in dynamic equilibrium would make sense that it has a rougher time.

l Seems like most of the problems started post tank transfer and going into a dry rock environment.
It's very likely bottled bacteria don't have anywhere near the diversity that live rock from the ocean/mature rock has.
All rock came from an established tank prior, fortunately the algae cycle has been at a minimum so not too bad. I believe the one coral that I did not dip introduced this issue.

So moral of the story, if you don’t dip 100% going in, it doesn’t count. 99% is not 100%.

Painful way to learn that lesson

SOFTIE LOVERS! Finally had time to take some pictures!

Mangroves Growing! Time to Trim
IMG_4762.jpeg

Macro: Dragons Breath + Pom Pom Gracillaria + Ulva
IMG_4770.jpeg
IMG_4771.jpeg

LPS Corner: Button Scoly + Acans + Blastomussa
IMG_4772.jpeg

Despite all the roadblocks that I document on this build thread, the tank is truly thriving. I hope you enjoy :)

Well can’t deny everything looks happy & no need to check. Might get an Orphek led bar to add to my tank seeing yours is thriving. Kinda need just a little more Par for mines.

Shoutout Local Reefers, Been looking to find something to better manage my equipment and came up on this. Didn't even know what it was, just happy I had a little area I can hide everything. Can't wait to put it together and take some updated pictures of my setup

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 23.46.56.png

SOFTIE LOVERS! Finally had time to take some pictures!

Mangroves Growing! Time to Trim
View attachment 48857

Macro: Dragons Breath + Pom Pom Gracillaria + Ulva
View attachment 48859View attachment 48861

LPS Corner: Button Scoly + Acans + Blastomussa
View attachment 48864

Despite all the roadblocks that I document on this build thread, the tank is truly thriving. I hope you enjoy :)
Love that Koji Wada Pink nepthea!!
Your tank has alota color contrast very nice!

Bahama Llama Weeping Willow has finally reached its way to the Bay Area!

Big Shoutout to Mok-Yi (Inappropriate Reefer) & Lynn (Reef Nerd Aquatics) for making this possible. Mok-Yi has been a YouTube inspiration of mine for many years now and partly where my love for soft corals originates from. We have come full circle not only developing relationships w/ those in the hobby but finally being able to trade and share a piece of this story for my own. We did it y'all. LETS GOOOOOO

tempImagetkdYaj.jpg

85AB5456-811A-4362-BEFE-D06E263169AF.jpeg

Softie Heaven. Can’t wait until they all grow out.

From Left to Right
1. Kevin’s Weeping Willow
2. Bahama Lama Weeping Willow
3. True Fiji Yellow (straight from Walt Smith Live Rock)
4. Chinese Long Tentacle Leather
5. Kevin’s Japanese Weeping Willow

Koji Wada colony in the back along with various macro from Pom Pom / Ulva / Dragons Breath

IMG_5260.jpeg

Clowns starting to get comfortable and doing the mating twitch.. Hopefully we see eggs by end of the year!

Last edited:
Back