Jestersix

Salty_Taste650: Innovative Marine 50Gal Lagoon

Playing Matchmaker with my Wild Super Black (Onyx) True Perculas

I am debating on keeping the more black individuals with each other while separating the more orange together. Or should I keep it mismatch?

Photo 1: Orange percula will be paired with orange fellow in photo 2
IMG_6184 2.jpg

Photo 2: Bottom black percula would be paired with Photo 3.
_DSF5174.jpg

Photo 3: Black Top fin percula (Not as colorful in photo because this is when it first arrived into QT)
IMG_8438.jpg

Playing Matchmaker with my Wild Super Black (Onyx) True Perculas

I am debating on keeping the more black individuals with each other while separating the more orange together. Or should I keep it mismatch?

Photo 1: Orange percula will be paired with orange fellow in photo 2
IMG_6184 2.jpg

Photo 2: Bottom black percula would be paired with Photo 3.
_DSF5174.jpg

Photo 3: Black Top fin percula (Not as colorful in photo because this is when it first arrived into QT)
IMG_8438.jpg
I would go for selective breeding methodology. Clean up the orange and blacks. Keep the lines separate and keep refining them. Would probably require several projects tanks if you choose to do that though.

I would go for selective breeding methodology. Clean up the orange and blacks. Keep the lines separate and keep refining them. Would probably require several projects tanks if you choose to do that though.
That's a great suggestion but I'm taking baby steps first haha... Make sure everything passes QT then we worry about matching them together to be accepted. Once those are completed, I can move into trying to prep them to start the breeding!

If you’re considering them babies, did they start off with the red or all orange?
Left Jawbreaker started off half/half orange w/ red. The right started off orange. Both jawbreakers came from the one w/ purple so I guess I can call them mommas and upgrade purple to grandma at this point. In terms of size, they are both a little larger than a AirPods Pro case

Left Jawbreaker started off half/half orange w/ red. The right started off orange. Both jawbreakers came from the one w/ purple so I guess I can call them mommas and upgrade purple to grandma at this point. In terms of size, they are both a little larger than a AirPods Pro case
That’s so cool. Idk they could start with color.

I had one that started orange and eventually got red specs but the 2 babies were also orange

That’s so cool. Idk they could start with color.

I had one that started orange and eventually got red specs but the 2 babies were also orange
All depends on genetics! I have a TDF Jawbreaker that came in smaller than the size of a dime but already covered in Red with green. It now is about the size of a penny but has 2 green spots and covered in red.

2024 Update: Rehomed my mandarins after 2 years of ownership. The moment I parted ways with them, immediate regret. I'm going into a new chapter in my life where I will be working Full time + Starting up a new internship. With that being said 70-80 hour work weeks means that the tank is probably gonna have to take a step back. Because I won't be able to care for it as much, fish had to be rehomed to make my transition easier.

Now that I am back to square 1, I want my copperband back and still want a pair of dragonets.. Maybe after my internship, I will pick up a pair of Ruby Red Dragonets when I have more time to care. I still need to do my re-scape with my new Tonga Branch but they are still curing so it'll be sometime before that happens. In the meantime, the goal remains the same, consistency in growth.

Future Corals Goals:
- Fiji Yellow Finger Leather
- WWC OG Bounce
- Frank Bounce

Future Fish Goals:
- Ruby Red Dragonet Pair
- Copperband Butterfly

Last edited:
Congrats on your work and internship. Don't get too lost in the work though man.

I would have loved to have your mandarins. I saw your post way later.

You've still got your clown projects though, so that's going to keep you busy too!

Back