Kessil

Slowly getting closer to that new build

Yup works now.

You have to realize that you, and all the other BOD tend to have higher permissions than the rest of us. So it working for you really doesn't say much to the rest of us.
Initially I couldn’t see the pics (when logged in).
Then later I could (still logged in, after he said he re-uploaded them).
Then I saw your comment so I logged out and reloaded the page and still could see them.

I don’t think BOD’s admin privileges allow us to see regular posted images on the public forum any better than anyone else. At least it’s not supposed to work that way.

John, in this case no it wasn't the case. However my comment was more a general comment on remembering that those with elevated privileges might have different options, etc than the general populace. I recall in the "new website" thread saying a solution to us was to change our theme, which said elevated privileges apparently had as an option, the rest of us not so much.

Either way, this is not the thread for this. More build pictures! Wires, Pipes, HOLES!

So the tank is planned to be 8’ long and I’m trying to plan what is going to be the best option for flow. Keep in mind that I will be able to look through the tank (it will sit between my living room and my home office). There’s about a foot of space on either side that will be covered up by the built in cabinet that will house the overflow on one side and the return plumbing on the other side. Ideally, all or the majority of the pumps will be in these two areas.

I currently have 2 WAV pumps from my last tank that I liked and have no problem reusing but obviously will be sorely inadequate by themselves in this build. Also, I should add that I’m a big fan of gyres. Not gyre pumps per-say (although I’m not opposed to the pumps either) but creating a gyre in the tank. I had pretty good success with this in my last tank and would like to incorporate it again with this one.

Other things to consider in regards to flow is (1) I’ve gone back and forth about having a sand bed or not and I’m still leaning towards having it (special grade 3 so not too fine). (2) The overflow will be on one side of the tank and the return will be on the other so already there’s a bit of a natural gyre created that way. (3) It was going to be an SPS dominant tank but the rest of the family could care less so it will likely end up being a mixed reef tank. (4) Lastly, I want there to be a good amount of open space on this build for the aquascape. I would say about 1/4 to, at most, 1/3 of the visual field being rock.

What are your thoughts on the best way to design for flow?

My thoughts hmmm. Having a room divider with the ends covered is a nice thing, I hate having a big long peninsula and you need flow obviously from more than one side, and then a viewable side has pumps on it, IMO worse than cords in the tank (although I'm sure some will disagree with that).

That said, your overflow go external, one of those low profile overflows that go inside the tank so that all the room from the bottom of the overflow to the tank can be used for pumps. If you were to use Gyre pumps I would put them sideways on either side of the back wall so that you can push your flow along the glass. Have you decided for the width of the tank? Also think about a return manifold, in fact I'd probably aim at getting the return only to places where you can't get flow. So having the plans for the return be the last thing, while the whole tank is cycling, that way you can test your flow see where dead spots are etc.

My thoughts hmmm. Having a room divider with the ends covered is a nice thing, I hate having a big long peninsula and you need flow obviously from more than one side, and then a viewable side has pumps on it, IMO worse than cords in the tank (although I'm sure some will disagree with that).

That said, your overflow go external, one of those low profile overflows that go inside the tank so that all the room from the bottom of the overflow to the tank can be used for pumps. If you were to use Gyre pumps I would put them sideways on either side of the back wall so that you can push your flow along the glass. Have you decided for the width of the tank? Also think about a return manifold, in fact I'd probably aim at getting the return only to places where you can't get flow. So having the plans for the return be the last thing, while the whole tank is cycling, that way you can test your flow see where dead spots are etc.
I think it’s going to be 96x27x27. The overflow will be one of the slim external ones. I was thinking of possibly getting another two WAVs and two mp60’s to have two WAVs and an mp60 on each side. They’d be in diagonal corners to create that gyre. Do you think those gyres would be powerful enough to push the water for the whole 8’?

In theory they should push the water that far, in practice... ehhh your guess is as good as mine. The idea behind those pumps is that they push water were obstacles aren't, so along the surface or along the sides of the tank, so should be able to push water further than normal in a normal tank. But I think your plan of 4 WAVs and 2 MP60s could work too, it really all depends on your rock work, I feel like you want vortech pumps to blow where there are no obstructions otherwise you either get too much flow on one side of the rock, or not enough of the other side, which is why the suggestion of a return manifold so instead of doing the traditional "over the side" return you can return water at other places in the tank where maybe your pumps aren't getting quite the flow you want. You definitely got a challenge ahead of you

I think it’s going to be 96x27x27. The overflow will be one of the slim external ones. I was thinking of possibly getting another two WAVs and two mp60’s to have two WAVs and an mp60 on each side. They’d be in diagonal corners to create that gyre. Do you think those gyres would be powerful enough to push the water for the whole 8’?

I have 1 gyre pump near the surface on each side of my 6 foot tank. Having them alternate every half hour or so makes a very nice alternating gyre throughout the whole tank, with passive return flow along the bottom, and I only have them set to 50%. I’m not even using the most powerful gyre pumps, I have the mid-range XF250’s. For sure they could get the job done, either at the top or along the sides (if you don’t have sand).

You could try to use your existing pumps to create a whole-tank gyre but probably wouldn’t work as well. Adding them to some gyre pumps would allow you to create some more interesting random flow patterns. But be careful with this, I lost a flow-sensitive chalice and almost lost another when I tried this several months ago because it caused too much intermittent turbulence near them.

I have an almost 8' tank, and flow has always been a pain.
I have two large powerheads at each end, pointed toward center, right up at surface.
So I get a double-gyre, across top from both ends, down in center, and back along bottom.
It did not work so well with sand, but does bare bottom.
Although center gets a ton of flow. Things don't grow so great there.

One thing I was really considering is a wide gyre down the back.
Put a lot of gyres or powerheads pointing down, all along the back wall.
So it goes down back, forward along bottom, up front, and backward along top.
That should really help keep detritus suspended, plus the top flow around corals should be pretty dispersed.

Barebottom or sand John? I've always wondered how Gyres would work with a sandy bottom.

I have about a half inch of “special grade” sand. It will redistribute some, my left corner will sometimes be made bare and mid tank a little thicker sand. But it doesn’t visibly blow around or anything and I’m overall happy with it. It’s a ton of alternating flow up top where most of my SPS is.

I have an almost 8' tank, and flow has always been a pain.
I have two large powerheads at each end, pointed toward center, right up at surface.
So I get a double-gyre, across top from both ends, down in center, and back along bottom.
It did not work so well with sand, but does bare bottom.
Although center gets a ton of flow. Things don't grow so great there.

One thing I was really considering is a wide gyre down the back.
Put a lot of gyres or powerheads pointing down, all along the back wall.
So it goes down back, forward along bottom, up front, and backward along top.
That should really help keep detritus suspended, plus the top flow around corals should be pretty dispersed.
Not to hijack, but what powerheads do you use?

I have 1 gyre pump near the surface on each side of my 6 foot tank. Having them alternate every half hour or so makes a very nice alternating gyre throughout the whole tank, with passive return flow along the bottom, and I only have them set to 50%. I’m not even using the most powerful gyre pumps, I have the mid-range XF250’s. For sure they could get the job done, either at the top or along the sides (if you don’t have sand).

You could try to use your existing pumps to create a whole-tank gyre but probably wouldn’t work as well. Adding them to some gyre pumps would allow you to create some more interesting random flow patterns. But be careful with this, I lost a flow-sensitive chalice and almost lost another when I tried this several months ago because it caused too much intermittent turbulence near them.
These look like they could be a viable option.

Back