Cali Kid Corals

The 225 Gal Monster

2 tanks combined into the 225. My sump is just barely big enough. Last picture shows the water level in the sump when return pump is turned off.
20221210_220950.jpg
20221210_221010.jpg
20221210_192432.jpg

You’re good if you have skimmer delay when power comes back on
You just gave me a good idea and I can use the float switch for the Varios pump so the skimmer shuts off and won't come back on until the water level in the skimmer chamber is back down to normal. Now to find where I put that damn float switch...lol

Flow from the 4 1in random flow generators is amazing and I might not even need any wave makers. Running the DCP-13000 at 95%. If I run it at 100, the siphon break openings on the random flow nozzles start pulling air from above the water and I can't lower them below the water level more or else I'll overflow my sump when the pump is turned off. I'm also hoping after skimmer break in the microbubbles into the display go away. I have to run my return chamber water level only 1in above the pump (also due to small sump and overflowing if I add more water) and this is causing the return to easily pull the microbubbles that the skimmer is throwing out. I may run 50 micron filter floss in the bubble catch chamber if it doesn't go away.

Perhaps something like what I did could be an option for your returns to siphon out less water when your return pump is off?

View attachment 43876
Building a little T and sticking it in the hole is a good idea. I previously have either just drilled a hole and known it'd shoot water out sideways for a bit, or put a piece of tubing in. The tubing is semi ghetto looking IMO.

Maybe I'll 3d print a locline attachment point that has a replaceable T hole...

Building a little T and sticking it in the hole is a good idea. I previously have either just drilled a hole and known it'd shoot water out sideways for a bit, or put a piece of tubing in. The tubing is semi ghetto looking IMO.

Maybe I'll 3d print a locline attachment point that has a replaceable T hole...
The airline tubing elbow ends just below the waters surface so there’s no jet of water splashing. It’s clear so it’s not invisible. Maybe I should order some elbows in black. Not sure why you’d need a T vs an elbow?

The bottom of my loc lines are submerged in the water much higher than where my nozzles are. Could I just drill a hole in the bottom of the first one in water and forgo the elbow?

The bottom of my loc lines are submerged in the water much higher than where my nozzles are. Could I just drill a hole in the bottom of the first one in water and forgo the elbow?
Just need to make sure it's in a position that won't get covered by various layers on loc lines, and if you move them you don't cover the hole. Not a huge deal though if you do because it'd just lead to more back flow and not like the whole tank would fail or something.

I wonder if it'd be possible to just design a loc line that has an anti back siphon built in. Everyone seems to install those in the piping, but it seems like it'd be possible to design one for the nozzle too. Might even be easier because the velocity in the nozzles should be higher than the velocity in the main return pipe, since the nozzle area is a smaller diameter...

Just need to make sure it's in a position that won't get covered by various layers on loc lines, and if you move them you don't cover the hole. Not a huge deal though if you do because it'd just lead to more back flow and not like the whole tank would fail or something.

I wonder if it'd be possible to just design a loc line that has an anti back siphon built in. Everyone seems to install those in the piping, but it seems like it'd be possible to design one for the nozzle too. Might even be easier because the velocity in the nozzles should be higher than the velocity in the main return pipe, since the nozzle area is a smaller diameter...
Vivid Creative Aquatics designs it into their random flow nozzles and with a better sized sump to display volume/flow amount and it wouldn't be an issue or if I wasn't pushing as much flow as I am through them. I'm running VCA's jumbo 1in loc line so they have a decently sized "neck" that doesn't get covered or touch the piece it's connected to.

Drilled a siphon break into the bottom of all my returns at the first loc line and was able to get 5 more gallons of water into the system which is a much better level for my sump while running and fixes all my air bubble issues going into the display. Now to just wait for my skimmer to finish breaking in as it's throwing off a bunch of air bubbles and the bubble catch isn't helping much between the skimmer chamber and return pump chamber in my sump. If it doesn't go completely away I may just run my skimmer at night so I don't see the bubbles.
20221214_191225.jpg
20221214_191231.jpg

Back