Cali Kid Corals

The 225 Gal Monster

That's some fast coralline growth! Someone clearly threw 6 bottles of this "special water" in before the afternoon View attachment 44351
Did someone say Coralline growth? Why yes. Yes it does.
20230104_161740.jpg
20230104_161800.jpg
20230104_161808.jpg

So after receive the generous SPS pack from @jhuynh. I've been busy dialing in my alk and Kalk dosings. Dosing Kalk off a Kamoer X1 doser 12 times a day 2 hrs apart. I'm finally dialed in to maintaining 7.6dkh and my lights off dosings are 300ml (1tsp/gal) kalk every 2 hrs and lights on dosing are 600ml (1tsp/gal) kalk every 2 hrs.
My pH stays between 8.2-8.3 throughout the day (I haven't checked late night into the off hours yet as I only have a manual pH probe).

20230104_201157.jpg

I'm going to be adding a CO2 scrubber and try and get 8.5/8.6pH steady.

Alternatively I could try upping my concentration of Kalk to full saturation at 2tsp/gal RODI and see if that gives more of a pH bump along with needing to dose less Kalkwasser to maintain dkh.

Dunno if you ever ran a scrubber. Scrubbers use a lot of media. And only give a small bump.
If you live life on the edge. You can always do Kalk slurry. Is your middle name “ DANGER “. Lol.

Dunno if you ever ran a scrubber. Scrubbers use a lot of media. And only give a small bump.
If you live life on the edge. You can always do Kalk slurry. Is your middle name “ DANGER “. Lol.
I run a scrubber on my bedroom tank which now sits at 8.4/8.5pH during the day and 8.2/8.3 at night. I've got 5gal of media on the way lol.

I do have very high flow and quite a long path of flow from my return pump to my nozzles so I don't think I'd have an issue dosing kalk slurry. Just don't have the equipment to do that but I may see if I can just get a couple magnetic stirrers under my current 5gal ATO res if I decide to go slurry.

Jim(telegram) runs a slw 20 in his Kalk then he uses a modified Brs 1.1ml doser. The doser he removed the ac motor and put a controller with a dc motor. I have an extra Brs 1.1 doser. If you wanted to try.

Jim(telegram) runs a slw 20 in his Kalk then he uses a modified Brs 1.1ml doser. The doser he removed the ac motor and put a controller with a dc motor. I have an extra Brs 1.1 doser. If you wanted to try.
Ty for the info. I'll keep that in mind but for now will try our the CO2 scrubber as I've had good results on my bedroom tank and believe I should see the same pH boost on my 225 gal in my living room.

I vote go full saturation kalkwasser solution now, and scale back on any two part you're using to get more of a pH benefit right away, assuming you have enough evaporation from the tank.

I think the only risk is tubing degradation or clogging right? Did Telegraham have a recommended internal to flush or replace the tubing?
I’ve ran slurry for 6 years on my previous tank. Build up only occurred at the output of the tube while using a Tunze Osmilator and a sealed black 5 gal bucket. Once a month I’d pinch the end of the ATO tube to break up the calcium build up and the next top off cleared it out. I still run slurry, but via times powerhead and a gravity overflow method with 3/4” pipe so no clogging to worry about

Finally got another gen 5 XR 30 pro. No more having to manually turn on/off my old gen 3 XR15 pro. Now just need 1 more in time. Got the ugliest all over the sand.

I was at AC today and saw a regal angel for the first time in person. Debated getting it for a few seconds but then my better judgment kicked in...lol
20230113_150611.jpg

Finally got another gen 5 XR 30 pro. No more having to manually turn on/off my old gen 3 XR15 pro. Now just need 1 more in time. Got the ugliest all over the sand.

I was at AC today and saw a regal angel for the first time in person. Debated getting it for a few seconds but then my better judgment kicked in...lol
View attachment 44781
Want to throw a blue in the middle? Haha

Want to throw a blue in the middle? Haha
Not really. Lol. But my kessil A360WEs seem to be washed out on the left side being flanked by 2 XR30s. The look is definitely more white than I like right now with the radions in AB+. It's a good mix to me on the right side with the XR15 and the A360WE. Maybe need some A500Xs after I get the 3rd XR30 Pro.

Finally got a replacement impeller for my Sicce Syncra 1.5 and was able to install my BRS dual reactor. Running bituminous carbon and phos ban. Before installing the reactor, phos was consistently testing at 2.0 for the past few weeks so at least I know it wasn't running away on me. Nitrates are pretty steady at about 8ppm for the past 3 weeks. Ugly stage is in full swing on the sand bed. I'll have to catch a picture tomorrow. Need to see if I can find someone close by with a microscope to check if my brown stuff is just diatoms or if I'm getting the dreaded dinos too.
20230117_213505.jpg

The easiest way to tell if its Dino is to blast it. If it breaks apart into a cloud, it's probably diatoms. If it comes off like snot and hold together, probably Dino.

Back