High Tide Aquatics

Top down camera thingy

Srt4eric

Vice President
BOD
I'm looking to buy a top down camera lens tube. All I'm finding is the Avast porthole viewer. Does anyone know if anyone else makes one? Has anyone used any of these? Let me know your thought.

When someone came by to take pics of my tank, they brought something that attached to the front of their camera much like the avast porthole.

These also look cool in that they protect the camera but let you use it still.

I use an 8” top down viewer with a lens hood usually since it’s faster than putting on a lens tube.

If you want something that goes on you lens, you can check these out. I’ve used both and they’re pretty good.

If you got a tap plastic's near by you can always buy a piece of acrylic tubing a smidge bigger than the diameter of your lens and glue a piece of flat acrylic on the end. I did that with good success some years back, and as overpriced as Tap Plastics is, if you buy like 2 inches of tube it ain't that pricey.

There was someone yesterday walking around CFM taking top-down pictures where they could stick the lens into the tank. All I could think of while watching was cross-contamination, but it looked like it'd be cool to have.

If you got a tap plastic's near by you can always buy a piece of acrylic tubing a smidge bigger than the diameter of your lens and glue a piece of flat acrylic on the end. I did that with good success some years back, and as overpriced as Tap Plastics is, if you buy like 2 inches of tube it ain't that pricey.

Don’t even need acrylic for the tube. Just get some pvc/abs from Home Depot and glue a piece of scrap acrylic from the dollar bin at TAP. Probably can make one for less than $5.

Slightly bummed. I received the avast porthole viewer. The inside of it is pretty dirty and scratched.

20220518_135716.jpg

Slightly bummed. I received the avast porthole viewer. The inside of it is pretty dirty and scratched.

View attachment 38376

Wow, I’m surprised. I’ve had a pretty good experience with them with multiple things that I have ordered from them - including two portholes. I’ve had great customer service experience with them in the past, hopefully they’ll take care of you.

Wow, I’m surprised. I’ve had a pretty good experience with them with multiple things that I have ordered from them - including two portholes. I’ve had great customer service experience with them in the past, hopefully they’ll take care of you.

I just sent an email with pics. I'm assuming I'll hear back soon. The acrylic still had the protective paper on the outside so it would of been impossible to see this on the inside.

Are those bubbles in the seal between tube and bottom? Not the normal Avast quality I've seen. I like Building An Obsession acrylic products better.

Back