Reef nutrition

What is your ideal Calcium Reactor set up

Yeah, I need reliability. The masterflex brings the cost of this up too high for me, but I feel its a necessity. Same with the carbon doser.

I bought the 618 reactor to have a larger reactor, but I don’t believe the carbon doser or 5lb tank was sold. If you’re gonna go carx, see if you can get a deal.
you don’t have to get the fancy digital display masterflex. An older analog with brushless motor masterflex can be had for around $400. Just as reliable, just no digital LCD screen.

The Versa I have set up now has been running well with the fixes place so far. I’m giving it a few months before I move the other systems back onto Versa.

Actually, less expensive than I thought.

4A97C2ED-3E0A-43DE-AB5F-BC0E297B4CEC.png

Last edited:
Hi Rostato,

You should be able to setup an ideal carx for under 1k.

You need:
1. Calcium reactor, with a pH probe holder.
2. pH probe, which can be regulated by your Neptune apex or a standalone pH controller.
3. CO2 canister
4. CO2 regulator
5. Peristaltic pump (ideal situation would be a high end one like a masterflex, but there are many cheaper ones out there now, including the $150 Versa.)

1. Geo reactors are very popular because they are simple and sturdy. They have been around for a long time and Reefers have a lot of experience with them. Based on your tank size, I think a 612 is a good size (it’s what I have on my Reefer 525XL). The 6 stands for the diameter of the chamber and the 12 stands for the height in inches.

A couple years ago @Newjack sold me his 612 for a great price of $150. I added a pH probe holder. I’m planning on selling it in the next couple months once I upgrade my tank, and was planning on passing it along for the same price within BAR. You’re welcome to it if you want:

930b59f8f59a3f504607873140b73ee1.jpg

2. pH probe. Since you’re probably going to keep your existing pH probe in your tank, you might need to buy a new probe and apex pm1 unit. Together, new, it’s about $150. Maybe can find a deal used down to $100? The plus side of getting another module is you can setup a second temp probe, which I keep in my overflow just as another backup.

3. Co2 canister. The one pictured above is a 10lb tank. It will last you a long time (over a year probably) without refilling. This is dependent on your usage of course. A 5lb tank would be fine too, you would just have to refill it more often. I think it’s good to have a backup tank filled in storage to swap out at a moments notice. These tanks are not that expensive. Some people will include them in their package for little extra cost.

4. Co2 regulator. This controls the co2 coming out of the tank going into your reactor. The best one is the carbon doser. I know some people will say the Alan Le two stage is better but I don’t agree, having owned both. I traded @roostertech a dos for his Alan Le 2 stage, and used it for 2 years before the solonoid started to leak slowly (so when it was supposed to be shut, a small amount of co2 would still leak through). I think you can get a used carbon doser for around $250, but I still have the Alan Le 2 stage (pictures above) and if you’re handy and want to try replacing the solonoid, I would sell it for $100.

5. Peri pump. The ideal setup is a newer masterflex unit. They can be had for around $600-700. If you’re a master negotiator like @RandyC you can find some cheaper. While they are the best, having owned 3 of them, I do think they are slightly overrated in the reef game. I have had 1 die on me and have heard of a couple others that have croaked. They are also not immune to clogging. They are the best out there but the “set and forget” crowd doesn’t talk about some of the issues that can still happen with any peri pump on pull. Pushing through the reactor probably has less chance of clogging but it “pressurized” the chamber and there is an increased chance of leaking. Plenty of other cheaper options out there now like kamoer or versa.

I should add that some people add a secondary chamber which is also called a “degassing” chamber. The purpose of this is to increase the pH of the effluent so it doesn’t drop your tank pH as much. It becomes more significant the more effluent you are adding (as your system demands increase). I guess most people would include that in an “ideal” system but not necessary if you’re just starting out. Very easy to add later.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wonder how often do you need to change the ph prob or mantain it?
I have found the reactors that do not depend on ph probs with its cost on the long run.
My dastaco was set and forget every year I need to change media amd that's it compared to other reactors.
Cause all the other parts that need replacment (peri pump, circulating pump) is the same on all reactors.
I think the piece of mind, no need for tinkering and less parts to chase in reactors like dastaco and DD justify their price..

I have found the reactors that do not depend on ph probs with its cost on the long run.
My dastaco was set and forget every year I need to change media amd that's it compared to other reactors.
Cause all the other parts that need replacment (peri pump, circulating pump) is the same on all reactors.
I think the piece of mind, no need for tinkering and less parts to chase in reactors like dastaco and DD justify their price..

I haven’t changed my pH probe in my first calcium reactor for four years.

I haven’t changed my pH probe in my first calcium reactor for four years.
But how? Isnot these reactors depend on the ph reading and accuracy to an extent?
I have never owned a ph prob that did not need to be recalibrated at least 1 a year and pretty much change every 2 years.. what's the difference here?

But how? Isnot these reactors depend on the ph reading and accuracy to an extent?
I have never owned a ph prob that did not need to be recalibrated at least 1 a year and pretty much change every 2 years.. what's the difference here?

I have no idea, I don’t do anything special besides checking the calibration. It’s been working fine so far without crazy alk swings. So I’ll chalk it up as a win!

Maybe you should stop using your pH probe to stir your fancy cocktails, then they would last longer! ;)

I really just don't want to have to convert the 240V to 120 with the dastaco. Just one more large piece of equipment in my cabinet.

I have no idea, I don’t do anything special besides checking the calibration. It’s been working fine so far without crazy alk swings. So I’ll chalk it up as a win!

Maybe you should stop using your pH probe to stir your fancy cocktails, then they would last longer! ;)
Yeh I think I should stop doing that..you reminded me..i need a drink lol

I really just don't want to have to convert the 240V to 120 with the dastaco. Just one more large piece of equipment in my cabinet.
It's super small and not a hassle just fyi. I have it behind the tank, I think of it like any power supply.
Other reactors will have multiple plugs u need to deal with anyway. Dastaco is one plug lol

I find that any calcium reactor set up correctly and with a peristaltic pump is pretty set it and forget it. I think people fear calcium reactors because of the old days of having a feed pump and a needle valve that led to constant adjustments because the needle valve or pump would clog slowly over time.

I find that any calcium reactor set up correctly and with a peristaltic pump is pretty set it and forget it. I think people fear calcium reactors because of the old days of having a feed pump and a needle valve that led to constant adjustments because the needle valve or pump would clog slowly over time.
Exactly how I ran one way back in the day and it sucked!

ahh the price...:eek: for the smallest one

ahh the price...:eek: for the smallest one

Look for used one. This include everything except the co2 canister.

Good luck for finding a used one.

Another thing to consider too, if the DaStaco has everything except a CO2 canister compare to other options how much you'll pay when you buy the regulator and the feed pump, except for the cheaper models out there you might find your CaRx gets up there in price.

Good luck for finding a used one.

Another thing to consider too, if the DaStaco has everything except a CO2 canister compare to other options how much you'll pay when you buy the regulator and the feed pump, except for the cheaper models out there you might find your CaRx gets up there in price.
That was my point exactly. When I started looking for reactors, I realised if you add up everything you need for the reactor and get the good quality parts you end up not that far away from the dastaco as it comes with everything..

Back