Cali Kid Corals

Wrasse Choice for a 40 Breeder / Where to buy a pink streaked wrasse?

Hopefully yours turns up. Mine also is completely disappeared, but I ripped my tank apart a bit today in trying to clean some things up and figure out wtf took a chunk out of my serpent star, and found him hidden deep under a rock.

Hopefully he'll be out and about in a couple days for both of us.

Last edited:
Checked under every rack. I can’t check under rocks without toppling my aquascape. I’ve feed the tank 4 times since bringing this wrasse home and didn’t see him once. I think I’m mostly salty about the cost. I understand not every fish will make it.
Stop looking for it! How is it going to get comfortable enough to come out if you keep banging rocks around and shining lights?

I most likely have another pink streaked wrasse coming in at zero cost to me so I’m going to give this little guy a 2nd shot. First one never popped up :(.

Don't drop it on the carpet like I did either! What other fish do you have in there now? It's probably on the bottom of the aggression chain.

Also I'd try to make some more caves/hiding spots for it. I recall you have mostly just one arch with pretty minimal rockwork. Mine is darting in and out of holes all day long and obviously prefers that to the open water.

Don't drop it on the carpet like I did either! What other fish do you have in there now? It's probably on the bottom of the aggression chain.

Also I'd try to make some more caves/hiding spots for it. I recall you have mostly just one arch with pretty minimal rockwork. Mine is darting in and out of holes all day long and obviously prefers that to the open water.
Great point, add a bunch of rockwork at the bottom for the fish to hide. It gives them a place to chill out and not see other fish.

I’ll add some extra rock work before the new fish arrives to add additional hides and caves. The Reef beef episode was very informative.
Added a handful of small rocks to form additional mini arches and caves.
The pink streaked wrasse arrived and is in basic observation at my LFS. I’ll pick it up Saturday or Sunday, possibly Monday depending on my schedule.

Added a handful of small rocks to form additional mini arches and caves.
The pink streaked wrasse arrived and is in basic observation at my LFS. I’ll pick it up Saturday or Sunday, possibly Monday depending on my schedule.
A handful isn't nearly enough imo. I think you want to add 5-10 lbs to make multiple hides.

Can always throw a pvc tube in there too under the rocks. I had one in there temporarily to reduce aggression since the Pink Streaked is so docile.

A handful isn't nearly enough imo. I think you want to add 5-10 lbs to make multiple hides.
Please excuse the cloudy tank, I stirred up my sand in the process of adding rocks.
EAF78552-21C9-4148-BD23-DE115CAC8F1E.jpeg
8307C92E-0F9D-475A-8400-3AAACA8D27A8.jpeg
61A09337-966D-4980-A732-BF4418326ECC.jpeg
0A19F723-EAAB-42DC-BD95-0FF1CECD7BD8.jpeg

I had one hide for months before I saw it.

I had another fish I never saw for years until breaking down the tank.
I waited a month with zero sightings. I had minimal rock work so there really wasn’t anywhere for him to entirely disappear to for that length of time. If he’s in there I can always return the new one but I have had zero indication that he is. I had a large nutrient spike the day after he died so I’m not holding out hope.

I like it a lot more with the extra rocks. Gives more depth than just the single arch! Could always experiment with moving the primary arch back to give more space in the front for shelf rock since we don't view the back much as we do from front in.

He I just had a super tiny yellow watchmen goby pop out to say hi, after not seeing it for a couple months, lol, thought he was a goner! Fish had sometimes for long periods of time. If that fish didn’t come from me then I’d probably guess it died, but being that it came from me, if it didn’t get killed by something then it is still in there. Should just let your tank be and let it get comfortable or it will never come out. Moving a bunch of rock work to find an extremely small and delicate fish I dangerous for the fish, getting smashed and what not. Yes fish love hiding places, especially when entering a new environment, but all the pink streaks I had were just fine with some pvc tubes. I just sold the last one, he was in a tank with a royal gramma, scopas tang, diamond goby and a pair of pintail wrasses. Pink streak loved his little 1/2 inch tube when it felt the need to hide. All the pink streaks had great personality and really active. Hopefully you don’t crush it. Good luck with your new one you’re getting. Make sure to Qt it, or long observation.

Back