Our mission

14,528 text messages in a month

Damn.. I do 4-6 a month and I get tired ;D .. Lucky for her that she's not my kid. I would take away the damn cell phone.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01112009/news/nationalnews/this_kids_a_text_maniac_149614.htm

I get by with around 5 texts a month. It takes me at least 10 minutes to write each text though. So usually if people ask me a question through texting, I'll end up calling them back. Talking > texting.

[quote author=DurTBear link=topic=5879.msg73997#msg73997 date=1231786697]
Whatever happened to physically talking to someone??!!!
[/quote]

Sign o' the times. I believe this girl belongs to "The New Silent Generation" or the "@ Generation". I've tried to hold conversations with kids her age before...it doesn't get much beyond "uh...".

Wasn't the record for the most text in US won by a teenager from NY? I was quite surprised reading that article from Yahoo's front page this morning. Well, good thing they have unlimited text message, otherwise the Dad would have grounded her for one year without cellphone

[/quote]
To further expand on this, I dislike cell phones specifically for this. Used to go to a store or something, long line, you'd chat one up with those stuck in line with you... not any more! They get on their phone (or worse bluetooth thing so you think they're talking to you!) and talk with a friend or some other inane thing. (I know lots of you are guilty of this too :D)

Sorry Mike but I like cell phone.. You are in the stone age if you don't have one ;D.. I do hate people talking loud on cell phone in public though.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=5879.msg74012#msg74012 date=1231791219]
[/quote]
To further expand on this, I dislike cell phones specifically for this. Used to go to a store or something, long line, you'd chat one up with those stuck in line with you... not any more! They get on their phone (or worse bluetooth thing so you think they're talking to you!) and talk with a friend or some other inane thing. (I know lots of you are guilty of this too :D)

[/quote]

LOL, it depends on where you are too. When I first moved to Berkeley, I had a preconceived notion that it was more laid-back compared to the OC. Boy was I wrong. While in line at the local Andronico's on Shattuck, I tried to strike up a convo w/ a granola-looking couple. Instead of a lighthearted conversation, I got a nice "excuse me, if you'd rather talk than wait, let us go first".

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5879.msg74001#msg74001 date=1231788080]
I have never sent a text message.
[/quote]

Me too, it's sad the youngsters are going to wind up like the kids at the end of Diamond Age.

Back